Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Aviation attractions on the USA east coast?

Starting from Wisconsin, I'm heading east to New Jersey area for a week.

Any impressive airplane museums or attractions to see there or along the way?

I've already possibly penciled in the Air Mobility Museum in Dover, DE.

Thanks, everyone. Some great areas to visit.

If you are able to divert your course down to KIAD, there is the Steven Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum, which is an extension of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.  There is an impressive collection of aircraft, including the Space Shuttle Discovery.  They also have a mock control tower, by which you can stand up there and watch the heavies take off and land from Dulles.  Well worth the $15 cost to park...the museum is free.  The IMAX theater they have is nice too, but they charge for the movies.

National Museum of US Air Force in Dayton, OH. Puts the Smithsonian Air and Space museum to shame. They even have a full B-36 Peacemaker!

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Do they still have the YF-12A?  The last time I visited, a lot of the museum wasn't finished yet, but they had an A-12, the YF-12A, an SR-71 and an F-117 you could walk up to.  They had the Peacemaker suspend in the rafters, is that still the case too?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

If you are able to divert your course down to KIAD, there is the Steven Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum, which is an extension of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.  There is an impressive collection of aircraft, including the Space Shuttle Discovery.  They also have a mock control tower, by which you can stand up there and watch the heavies take off and land from Dulles.  Well worth the $15 cost to park...the museum is free.  The IMAX theater they have is nice too, but they charge for the movies.

Do they still have the YF-12A?  The last time I visited, a lot of the museum wasn't finished yet, but they had an A-12, the YF-12A, an SR-71 and an F-117 you could walk up to.  They had the Peacemaker suspend in the rafters, is that still the case too?

They most certainly do still have the YF-12A. They also have the Peacemaker and all of the other big aircraft where ypu can walk right under them. It's much bigger than Smithsonian and is probably the coolest thing you'll ever see in your life. Best of all, it's on the way of your trip depending on which road you take.

Considering it's the US Air Force Museum, it is understandably large.  having been there and the Pima Air Museum in Tucson, AZ, I've seen a nice cross section of the US Air Force aircraft.  It also helps I served in the AF long ago. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Hard to get a feel for the US Air Force Museum, any idea about how much time one needs to see most of it? Does 2-3 hrs sound about right?

Are you kidding? At least 2 to 3 DAYS might do it. It is BIG.

If you can't stop at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, and you are going to be in NJ for a week, then your best bet will be the Air Mobility Museum at the Dover Delaware Air Force Base. I was just there and it is well done. You can do it in one day. Of course there is the Mid America in Reading, PA, a couple hours west of South Jersey and also pretty good. The Steven Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum out at KIAD , which is an extension of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum and the original one at the Washington Mall downtown Washington are very good, but you will need a day each for those too. The Intrepid Aircraft Carrier in the Hudson in Manhattan is very good too, but pretty much Navy themed of course. Both Washington and New York are easily reachable by train from NJ, if you don't want to drive. If you are going to be near Cape May, NJ, there is a small one at the airport there, but  not worth driving more than an hour to see and you will see it all in a couple of hours. It is interesting though as it shows a lot of what was going on there and Atlantic City during WWII. Also interesting right next door to the hangar there is a company that have captured a lot of old Twin Otters and are converting them to turbo props. I am in Ocean City NJ for the Summer, except we are taking a cruise to Bermuda from July 10 to the 17. Would be happy to try and meet up with you, if you want.

Howard

The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum is the absolute best.  Washington, DC

Stan

The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum is the absolute best.  Washington, DC

It is very good but I would give Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum a slight edge.