Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

Active Sky Cloud Art for FSX & P3D - Released!

Also I'm sure HiFi will continue to improve things based on all the great feedback in here.

Oh definitely, they got a solid base to work from, with some love and care this could turn into a gem.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

In relation to what you guys are talking about- isn't the fog/cloud shading/dusk dawn shading all tied into a pixel on the BMP for the sky texture? So if Navid has some wonderful colors during the low-light periods of the day, they can still affect certain clouds in different (better/worse) ways....

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Whether or not someone doesn't prefer the ASCA skies makes a difference to only that person. The pic Stefan posted is one I have seen IRL on many occasion. If you don't like it - take it up with Mother Nature. 

We all have our favorites - back when I was using AS2012, FEX & REX - I used what I liked from each. Soft Clouds looked great but got monotonous (to me) after a while so more mix and matching. Same w ASCA - I primarily use Global Dynamic but I will play with the constant themes - some I really like, others not so much.

AS Richard said - you have to know that HiFi is working hard to follow the  suggestions and feedback given here.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Here is my problem with ASCA.... Duplicated clouds....

dwv31v.png

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

Kenz - Great video however too many popcorn clouds. Aslo, the edges of the cumulus clouds are too hard - need to soften them a tad.

:smile:

Vic

Only a problem if it bothers you Maarten - which it obviously does.  I, frankly, never notice them unless I am looking for it but It has been a common complaint that HiFi will be addressing when they release additional content for ASCA.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

i guess i'm not understanding how that is any worse than the default clouds where they are ALL duplicates instead of now where it is selecting from a bunch of different ones

in fact those don't look like duplicates either! the upper right corner of the left cloud is using the same texture as the upper right of the right cloud. but the rest is different. and without ACSA, EVERY cloud uses that same texture doesn't it?

cheers

-andy crosby

Yeah, there's a lot of duplicate clouds or at least, the puffs that make up larger cloud formations. Sometime you see 2, 3 or even 4 identical 'puffs. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Guest Novation

i guess i'm not understanding how that is any worse than the default clouds where they are ALL duplicates instead of now where it is selecting from a bunch of different ones

It is worse and no doubt about it. Maybe its the way their new structures work, but you see far more repeated textures that default or REX/FEX clouds. Do users see the same if you don't select the structures option?

Its a pity this was not raised at an earlier point in the testing process, when it should be 'looked for' and addressed. Personally I would have been deeply critical of this issues, amongst others.

Here's one of their very own photos on the HiFi website, look at the staggering amount of cirrus clouds that are completely identical, some of them are just turned around;

1htuad.jpg

It is worse and no doubt about it. Maybe its the way their new structures work, but you see far more repeated textures that default or REX/FEX clouds. Do users see the same if you don't select the structures option?

Its a pity this was not raised at an earlier point in the testing process, when it should be 'looked for' and addressed. Personally I would have been deeply critical of this issues, amongst others.

I'm sorry you're disappointed. I guess problem is in a project as big as the AS16/ASCA combo there's lots of things to look for and test and then eventually for the developers to be able to fix and I think it's nearly impossible to release something with zero issues and something where everyone will be 100% happy with every single piece of the end product.

Personally I'm proud of what we achieved and I enjoy both these products every day when I'm flying and most important is what has already been mentioned that I'm certain HiFi will make very good use of all the valuable feedback and comments given both here at Avsim as well as other forums since the products were released. Obviously thousands of users will always both spot more issues and have more comments vs a test group consisting of 16 persons in this case.

• Upvote 2

Richard Åsberg

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see any problem with repeated textures. All the posted pics on that topic look great to me. I guess, some people always have something to complain about...

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Guest Novation

I guess, some people always have something to complain about...

Oh dear me :rolleyes:

I'm sorry you're disappointed.

To me all this is so obvious, and something of a step back in some respects. Maybe it needed a fair bit more time to gestate and improve before release, unless it was a case of 'get it out before the competition'. The weather engine is interesting, if lacking in accuracy for the UK in data terms, but maybe this can be improved too (REX data gives better results locally for me)?? It can look great at times though, but if you want real weather here, forget it!!!.

Its a good product, but not the second coming as some suggest. It seems to have a good deal of Avsim support though, so well done HiFi :)

I guess you're right and quite honestly I personally never even see these repetitive clouds unless someone points them out to me. Maybe that's because I'm normally too busy flying the a/c :smile:

With this said we all have different things that tend to bother us. One of those things for me is how airport scenery often turns black if you look in another direction for a while and then look back at the airport. That is one thing I would love to find a cure for!

Sorry for the derail, back on topic :smile:

Richard Åsberg