Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

ASCA Themes / REX Comparison Shots

I'm seeing some of the "popcorn"-y texture repeats in your screenshots too, most pronounced in the 3rd capture.

It's official... It's Cloud war !

:aggressive:

Happy (cloudy) flying,

Lol.

Mabye we should say

#AllCloudsMatter - ACM

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm seeing some of the "popcorn"-y texture repeats in your screenshots too, most pronounced in the 3rd capture.

lol, yeah.  I can pretty much find popcorn in any cloud screenshot.  I've been using REX and isn't always perfect.  I'm still experimenting with both to try and find the best results, mixing sky colors, cloud textures, and cloud structures,  etc.

I'm hoping Rex Sky Force 3D will be the game changer. 

#AllCloudsMatter - ACM

:LMAO: Good 1..

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

lol, yeah.  I can pretty much find popcorn in any cloud screenshot.  I've been using REX and isn't always perfect.  I'm still experimenting with both to try and find the best results, mixing sky colors, cloud textures, and cloud structures,  etc.

I'm hoping Rex Sky Force 3D will be the game changer. 

:-) After all this testing, I'm probably more sensitive to the texture repeats that wouldn't have notice earlier.  Good screen caps BTW. Thanks for sharing them.

Great shots confirms ASCA is no where near the REX offering at the moment nor do I ever expect it to be which is fine - on the other hand AS16 is excellent - cant wait for the new REX offering should be amazing 

Rich Sennett

Watching all those screenshots and comparing them with real life cloud photos it seems that larger clouds are 'made up' from small clouds in ASCA, meaning a larger cloud is simply build from many small clouds in a repeating pattern.

The repeating pattern is the problem in my humble opinion. Too many details showing the smaller clouds which form the big ones. More wash out needed in larger clouds......

Here is an interesting video showing off some real cumulonimbus

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Ok, a few more. Looking back at the first comparisons they actually were NOT soft clouds, just standard REX. These are soft clouds. Again, a lot has to do with what REX textures you're using. And all of these look pretty flyable to me, really.

REX

REX%20SC%201.jpg

ASCA FULL DYNAMICS THEME:

ASCA%201.jpg

REX:

REX%20SC%202.jpg

ASCA ARMAGEDDON THEME:

ASCA%20Armageddon%202.jpg

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Watching all those screenshots and comparing  

Awesome video - clouds look amazing - imagine having that in simulator wow

Rich Sennett

Hey Silicus,

The thunderstorm in that video looks a little popcorny to me.  I think God needs to tweak his shader file a bit!! :smile:

John

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have a 'heads up' on when Rex are going to release Sky Force 3D?

I can't wait  ... :)

Does anyone have a 'heads up' on when Rex are going to release Sky Force 3D?

I can't wait  ... :)

Well, when they announced it last month, I believe they gave a horizon of 3 months. I may be incorrect though. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Ok, a few more.

Are ASCA structures being used in these shots?

Small differences in textures aside, both shots look very odd to me, with too many groupings of the same texture to make the overall cloud shape/structure, especially in the distance.