basementflyguy

ASCA Themes / REX Comparison Shots

Took these last night to compare all the stock ASCA themes, with a couple of comparisons of REX textures mixed in.

Ariel.jpg

Armageddon.jpg

Departure.jpg

Discovery.jpg

Exultant.jpg

Full%20Dynamic.jpg

Refreshing.jpg

Tempest.jpg

Venture.jpg

Voyage.jpg

And here's the same scene with REX Soft Clouds (texture theme generated based on local weather):

AS16REXnoASCA.jpg

Finally, this with AS16 + REX Cumulus texture:

Global%20Auto%20REX%20Cumulus.jpg

And this after loading the ASCA textures:

Global%20Auto%20ASCA%20Textures.jpg

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Seems like AS16+REX is the best to my eye.  Thanks for putting all this together!

Thanks for all the work compiling these screenshots. I spent about 2 hours doing very similar testing of the ASCA themes, ASN, and Rex SoftClouds. The cloud textures between the various ASCA themes vary a good bit and some of the themes (Armageddon, in particular) generated a very high rate of texture repetitions with cloud shapes duplicated in a very obvious fashion.  In many cases, I preferred the deeper shadows on the ASCA textures compared to (definitely) SoftClouds.

I confess going back to SoftCloud textures and uninstalling ASCA because of the really large number of texture repeats and the "popcorn" cloud effects in P3D. SoftClouds and PTA got rid of almost all the "popcorn" for me but ASCA seemed to bring them back.

Loving ASN and waiting for a good comparison between Rex Weather Force (when available) and AS16 before switching weather engines. That said, ASCA seems like a generation 1 product with more potential than polish at this time.

In my eyes clouds in every shot looks pretty awful, except in the AS16 + REX Soft Clouds shot. Can't explain exactly what is odd, but visually is miles behind ASN + REX. Looks like popcorn.

• Upvote 8

Use to use ASN and Rex soft clouds. Now its AS16 and ASCA. Like it so much more

Thank-You basementflyguy, for doing these comparison shots. This makes the decision a bit easier.  I am not a huge fan of rex textures, but in this case they are a little better than the competition. I'll keep my wallet in my pocket for a little while longer.

Jazz

Glad this is useful. I also think a lot of it depends on the REX textures involved, and the cloud types.

Thanks for the comparison shots.

I have REX4 + soft clouds as my texture sets and I just use REX Essentials (fly now feature) as the weather engine.

I find they work great together, I find the clouds choices, themes I have chosen to be very good.  I just can't see spending any more money to try something else at this stage.

Bryan

Thank you for the comparison shots. I like AS16 a lot. A big improvement over ASN in my opinion. I do like the AS16 and REX the best.

Thanks,

Greg

I try not to be negative but to me those ASCA shots are dreadful. 

• Upvote 3

In my eyes clouds in every shot looks pretty awful, except in the AS16 + REX Soft Clouds shot. Can't explain exactly what is odd, but visually is miles behind ASN + REX. Looks like popcorn.

I agree,

All those shots look terrible to me. I use FEX textures which to my eye look much more realistic.

But hey, it's all subjective isn't it?.... Like all art.......

Stu

• Upvote 2

I'm really happy in not buying ASCA when I see those shots and several videos.

The ASCA stuff is looking way to unrealistic, like a painting. For Picasso it would be a pleasure to see those pics but come on guys, that has absolutely nothing to do with the real world......

• Upvote 2

I agree,

All those shots look terrible to me. I use FEX textures which to my eye look much more realistic.

But hey, it's all subjective isn't it?.... Like all art.......

Stu

Yes, thanks for those shots, BasementFlyGy, but they all look bad to me too. ASCA as well as REX really hurts my eyes. I am certainly staying with HDEv2 now!!!!!! Saves me money too. But it's great to have all those options! 

Point is: For dynamic changes and reloads, you DO need ASCA. You can use REX through ASCA (just don't untick sky textures in the global automatic theme), but AS16 without ASCA is like a movie with just one frame :-)

• Upvote 1

but AS16 without ASCA is like a movie with just one frame :-)

Hm, AS16 without ASCA is an improved weather engine that does all it can do on its own without the need for ASCA. I rather have good skies than crappy or cartoonish or odd colored looking dynamic skies. As long as the weather itself is dynamic, I am fine. (I am reading reports about how great ASCA is and all they actually are reporting is how great AS16 is... Some seem to think ASN or other weather engines didn't offer dynamic weather...)

• Upvote 1

Hi guys!

Honestly it seems absurd that today, despite years of development, they have not yet been able to create more realistic texture, and all the images that are shown both on REX and HIFi Sim websites concern only certain types of clouds. So, why they are not able to increase the quality of all types of clouds? These shots are very unrealistic... someone should watch the sky sometimes :-)

Bye, Max

• Upvote 4

Hm, AS16 without ASCA is an improved weather engine that does all it can do on its own without the need for ASCA. I rather have good skies than crappy or cartoonish or odd colored looking dynamic skies. As long as the weather itself is dynamic, I am fine. (I am reading reports about how great ASCA is and all they actually are reporting is how great AS16 is... Some seem to think ASN or other weather engines didn't offer dynamic weather...)

That's simply not true. Yes, AS 16 is an improvement over ASN, but the real magic happens ONLY in combination with ASCA, which is able to inject textures based on the current weather during the flight. If you start under nice weather with some clouds and fly into some rain, ASCA will allow AS16 to exchange the cloud sets and the sky colours smoothly. You can, as I said, use REX clouds with AS16 and ASCA, but without ASCA it's just one texture set for the whole flight. And being able to use different sets makes a HUGE difference. Something you have to see yourself. No pics and no video can do this justice.

• Upvote 1

I am certainly staying with HDEv2 now!!!!!!

And they'd look no better in those scenarios shown with that level of FOV. Those screens show just how bad the current weather system can be in P3D when the textures, no matter how good or bad, get placed over lots of tiny structures, which is mainly when cumulus layers are placed at high altitudes. I'm hoping REX are really going to manage a proper redesign of the structure primitives and a weather engine that will organize them properly.

As16 and Rex soft clouds hands down

Asca doesn't even come close.

Looking forward to what sky force will bring!!

Cheers

Mike

• Upvote 1

In my eyes the REX clouds are too dark...

In reality when flying above the clouds they are very white in the sunshine.

I already had a custom cumulus texture when using REX TD/Softclouds.

Now with ASCA I do not need that anymore.

The most important is that everybody can choose what they think is the best.

In fairness to the HiFi guys, the particular mix of textures has a lot to do with it. After taking those screen caps I took some others with a diffeerent texture load, and different sky scape, that when flying through felt much more realistic. I'll try to post those here tonight. But I also posted some shots in the "Released!" thread that for me looked great. Rather than repost them you can see them here:

http://www.ontheglideslope.net/2016/07/11/as16asca-pics-im-pleasantly-surprised/

That's simply not true.

I think you meant to say something like 'I disagree'  :wink: because what I said is part fact and hence true and part opinion and hence also (subjective but) true.  :wink: What you call 'the real magic' has to do with ASCA and not AS16. I was mainly trying to say that AS16 on its own is a great addon and certainly not a one frame movie. I at least don't feel like I have been watching a one frame movie the last decade with previous HiFi weather engines and AS16 is even better. Calling AS16 without ASCA a one frame movie isn't doing justice (to put it mildly) to the addon at all.

Point is: For dynamic changes and reloads, you DO need ASCA. You can use REX through ASCA (just don't untick sky textures in the global automatic theme), but AS16 without ASCA is like a movie with just one frame :-)

Also called a "photo" :)

It's official... It's Cloud war !

:aggressive:

Happy (cloudy) flying,

• Upvote 1

It's official... It's Cloud war !

I love that :)