Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

ASCA Themes / REX Comparison Shots

The repetitive textures are being addressed by HiFi. Damian said they're working on an ASCA content update.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Awesome video - clouds look amazing - imagine having that in simulator wow

Well, my FEX set is actually not far off. P3D is not always kind as to the way it arranges the textures, but most of the time with this set is looks very real.

14cb3fa30345628942669eaccd3b4c76.jpg

Plus, that video shows how hard and crisp edged real convective cumulus clouds are, even at close range, which many dispute here.

Well, my FEX set is actually not far off. P3D is not always kind as to the way it arranges the textures, but most of the time with this set is looks very real.

Very, very nice indeed! Towering clouds, fantastic.

To my knowledge, FEX for P3D hasn't been released yet for the general public. Where did these screens come from? I want them now!!! :-)

To my knowledge, FEX for P3D hasn't been released yet for the general public. Where did these screens come from? I want them now!!! :-)

Isn't FEX an old Hector at this point?

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=flt1fex

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

FEX for P3D hasn't been released yet for the general public.

Yes it has :) the latest version has options to select your sim, including P3Dv3. Not all the features work well in P3D however.

Are ASCA structures being used in these shots?

Small differences in textures aside, both shots look very odd to me, with too many groupings of the same texture to make the overall cloud shape/structure, especially in the distance.

I'm actually not sure. I started only with REX running via AS16, but when I turned on structures, the cloud structures didn't really change. My feeling is that they are AS16 structures, or that you have to sort of purge the structures somehow to start clean. But they looked like ASCA structures to me even though I had that turned off ...

Spending more time with it today, the grouping certainly has to do with how AS16 places the weather. At least that's my hypothesis.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Plus, that video shows how hard and crisp edged real convective cumulus clouds are, even at close range, which many dispute here.

Great shot which set is that? Used before ASCA clouds from FEX nature clouds

André

Is that one of the rare jet-engine equipped Cessnas? 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

JATO, baby!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Shot this today to add some sense of the immersion etc. ...

Excellent video  :wink:

Rich Sennett

That's one of the more entertaining flight sim videos. The more that I switch back and forth between the REX TD4 SC and ASCA textures, the less difference I'm sensing. Even in this video, the differences aren't as great as my initial impressions about them were.

Yessir! The HUD was a special order.

Great video, enjoyed it!

My own experience has been very positive, loving AS16 and ASCA as a whole package.  Sure, sometimes it's not the best, but I'm finding it's usually pretty great.  Glad things are moving this way (dynamic weather, cloud/sky textures, structure etc).

Screenshots are tough, seems to look much better in actual motion to me, particularly with the initial screenshots in this thread that were zoomed sooooo far out... that will distort about anything, hence why the REX stuff didn't even look good.

Enjoy all, will continue playing with the combo.