Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

X-Plane 10: Clouds & Datarefs - Questions

hello 

unfortunately, these dont change the awful IN COCKPIT GOLDEN GLOW ON PANEL at sunrise (or sunset)...

stayed pretty much the same...these PNG just change the colors of the sky no?  I am really talking about a strange phenomenon where, at sunrise, fur just a brief 15 minutes, the panel seems to become almost on fire, glowing golden and very bright... and after half an hour it disappears and dulls...

It worth mentioning as well that the interior seems to light up more than the exterior at sunrise, which is totally wrong and unnatural...

thanks anyway

Those PNG does not change the colors of the sky, but the ambient color at sunrise and sunset. Here's what I get with them, but you also need a couple of modified datarefs. To me it looks quite consistent with the external ambient lighting:

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hi Paraffin

I really hope they do, because it is a very important point in immersion...

thanks Murmur

your film is good, much better than what I get, even with your 2 files.... what do you change in dataref?

.. and how do you change those datarefs???

Hey Murmer,

I've used these two data ref lines, “skyc/max_shadow_angle” and “skyc/min_shadow_angle”. I really like the shadows in the cockpit at sunrise/sunset now, burn my one other question is the overall brightness of the cockpit, even parts that are in shadow. Is there a way to darken the overall cockpit? Does your modified skycolor pngs posted earlier address that at all?

Thanks!

Hey Murmer,

I've used these two data ref lines, “skyc/max_shadow_angle” and “skyc/min_shadow_angle”. I really like the shadows in the cockpit at sunrise/sunset now, burn my one other question is the overall brightness of the cockpit, even parts that are in shadow. Is there a way to darken the overall cockpit? Does your modified skycolor pngs posted earlier address that at all?

Thanks!

My modified PNG's should produced a shorter yellow tinting at sunset, and so they should improve the lighting and make the cockpit dark sooner (at sunset). But things can be further improved working on the skycolors png. A good artist would be needed.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

My modified PNG's should produced a shorter yellow tinting at sunset, and so they should improve the lighting and make the cockpit dark sooner (at sunset). But things can be further improved working on the skycolors png. A good artist would be needed.

I was messing around with the ambient light gradient in the skycolor png, and even making it completely black doesn't darken the shadows much.   I wonder if there is some other dataref for ambient light.  I also know xp11 disabled any access to gamma settings.  Although I do like how bright the lit areas are, I'd just love for the areas in shadow to be a bit darker, especially around sunset/sunrise.   

I was messing around with the ambient light gradient in the skycolor png, and even making it completely black doesn't darken the shadows much.   I wonder if there is some other dataref for ambient light.  I also know xp11 disabled any access to gamma settings.  Although I do like how bright the lit areas are, I'd just love for the areas in shadow to be a bit darker, especially around sunset/sunrise.   

It's not only the ambient gradient. I think the direct suncolor gradient also plays a role. And I don't know exactly how shadows works, I know that there are some datarefs that control them, in addition to the light gradients. So it may be a little more complex than just modifying light gradients.

Hi Paraffin

I really hope they do, because it is a very important point in immersion...

thanks Murmur

your film is good, much better than what I get, even with your 2 files.... what do you change in dataref?

.. and how do you change those datarefs???

It's not only the ambient gradient. I think the direct suncolor gradient also plays a role. And I don't know exactly how shadows works, I know that there are some datarefs that control them, in addition to the light gradients. So it may be a little more complex than just modifying light gradients.

Try this helps a lot also helps with the PB6 now that causes orange haze issue with xenviro - developer is aware of it

Tofi gave me a work around for now hope it helps what you do is go to developer in xp menu and go down to show sky colors then in there just click on ocast radial and it will turn the color orange to gray which works for now :) hope this helps

Rich Sennett

Just applied the sunrise/sunset illumination fix for the cockpit, with the sky color png's, and the lua script for XP11. Seems to be working really nice. Carenado Navajo with X-Enviro, on route to CYOW from CYQA as a test, nice sunrise, and nice panel illumination. Also one from the backseat. Thanks Murmur....

Sunrise_zpsol1ywbln.jpg

Sunrise2_zpsv9c80fps.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Add these two lines to a LUA script (FlyWithLua must be installed) to have cockpit shadows during sunrise/sunset:

set( "sim/private/controls/skyc/max_shadow_angle",-89)
set( "sim/private/controls/skyc/min_shadow_angle",-90)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yup, already done. Saw the pinned thread at the Org. Was more concerned with the horrible panel illumination at sunrise/sunet, which is fine now.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

"xEnviro emulation" with default XP11 controls.

First experiment with new sky textures, variable sun pitch rayleigh effect, variable sun pitch clouds light curves.
Clouds are Gold Beta4.

(sorry central message, i use XP11 demo)

93e8400a41.jpg

93e8ff0097.jpg

93e9826b27.jpg

* FS2004 Supersky * ( Atmo Ambient Environment addon) creator.
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment addon ) creator.
XP12.0.8 * with ACT (A
mbient Corrector Tweek ).

[Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit]

Just d/l your https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5fyJwRhjar5cDhXclgxRTFxdjg

and using in xplane11 pb8 & works great.

So much better than those charcoal clouds,

Thank you

PecosPete

Confused, but for XP11.. is it best to use the png files in addition to this linked lua script.. and also the two lines for sunrise/sunset like below?

Anyone have a list of steps for xp11 to do this?  Trying to make sure i'm doing the right files/steps..

Thanks

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Hello theskyisthelimit,

All I did was d/l from the link kindly posted by Murmur.

Didn't add any other png files nor added any other lines.

You could try the same thing and then add the other mods & see what the result is.

I might try the other mods but for right now am quite satisfied.

Regards

PecosPete

& a special thanks to Murmur

Thank you PecosPete!

Confused, but for XP11.. is it best to use the png files in addition to this linked lua script.. and also the two lines for sunrise/sunset like below?

Anyone have a list of steps for xp11 to do this?  Trying to make sure i'm doing the right files/steps..

Thanks

The lua script only modifies clouds. Using better cloud textures than default, could yield even better results.

To improve sunrise/sunset instead, you should replace the skycolors png's with mine, and add those two lines in my clouds_XP11.lua script.