Sign in to follow this  
funkcanna

PF3 V ProATC X

I'm hoping some of these issues are sorted out in this year's Pro-ATC/X version update. When I see posts from beta testers in March telling us that a problem has been fixed and then we find ourselves still waiting five months later in mid-August, it's hard to be positive about the experience. At least with PF3, Dave March publishes updates on a timely basis, rather than keeping paying customers waiting for an entire year to fix known bugs.

+1

The one year wait between "bug fixes" / product updates is not good.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

+1

The one year wait between "bug fixes" / product updates is not good.

No it isn't. It suggests that there is not much development interest. PF3 is constantly being tweaked not just to iron out bugs but also to incorporate valid suggestions and corrections.

No it isn't. It suggests that there is not much development interest. PF3 is constantly being tweaked not just to iron out bugs but also to incorporate valid suggestions and corrections.

So, in fact, is ProATC/X. It is just that, for some reason, the developer doesn't like it to go outside the Beta team until he has achieved his idea of the next level.

He is most asuredly ambitious and dedicated to getting the procedural and operational side right, and takes all the input on board. It's not a bad deal for Beta testers on the whole, but I do agree a one year gap between feeding users is a bit extreme.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

So, in fact, is ProATC/X. It is just that, for some reason, the developer doesn't like it to go outside the Beta team until he has achieved his idea of the next level.

He is most asuredly ambitious and dedicated to getting the procedural and operational side right, and takes all the input on board. It's not a bad deal for Beta testers on the whole, but I do agree a one year gap between feeding users is a bit extreme.

Pete

Even though a one year period in between new versions appears long, developers can't do it right anyways. If you take the time to iron out the bugs and implement new functionality then people complain about long development cycles. If you release more frequently then people complain about bugs. Pro-ATC/X is perfectly usable and one can still enjoy the program in between release cycles. I'm just happy if there is constant progress. Because this has been a problem with a lot of ATC programs where development just dies at some point (has also been a problem with Pro-ATC/X in the past though).

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Because this has been a problem with a lot of ATC programs where development just dies at some point (has also been a problem with Pro-ATC/X in the past though).

Yes, I remember the demise of RCV5 only too well -- dead under the weight of trying to deal with SIDs and STARs in the most realistic way, which in fact ProATC/X actually achieved last year, albeit with some things still to fix.

Apart from the online services, ProATC/X is still the only one to assign SIDs and STARs to suit the circumstance,  The other are rather like  RCV4 in that you either have to include them in your plan, or fly them anyway after getting released from vectors. I remember trying to use the instrument approach request in RCV4, always a job to fit in after contacting approach control before it started vectoring. You'd have to ignore the vectors whilst trying to get your request in, and go off-route anyway in the process!

Really, the future of sim ATC is pretty bright no matter which path one prefers.

Pete

Apart from the online services, ProATC/X is still the only one to assign SIDs and STARs to suit the circumstance, 

Pete

Except it is rather too good at asigning the wrong SIDs and STARs

Pete

The developer should consider letting all the customers join the beta program. For those that like constant updates is a good thing and for those that rather wait, well they can just wait for the new yearly update.

I am considering one of these ATC programs. I downloaded the PF3 demo and it is very realistic. The only part of flying that I could not simulate was being cleared for STAR. It never mentions the STAR and it only vectors me. I tried setting it up and maybe in fact it does cleared you for a STAR but I couldn't make it work.

I am considering one of these ATC programs. I downloaded the PF3 demo and it is very realistic. The only part of flying that I could not simulate was being cleared for STAR. It never mentions the STAR and it only vectors me. I tried setting it up and maybe in fact it does cleared you for a STAR but I couldn't make it work.

It certainly does clear you for a STAR. For example

22/09/2016 16:08:53: 170 - Transcript: 'Speedbird 2578 Heavy continue via the Victor Echo Romeo Oscar Bravo 1 Alpha Approach   Remain on this frequency, I'll have traffic for you.  '

Except it is rather too good at asigning the wrong SIDs and STARs

Odd, I've never had such a problem.

Pete

It certainly does clear you for a STAR. For example

22/09/2016 16:08:53: 170 - Transcript: 'Speedbird 2578 Heavy continue via the Victor Echo Romeo Oscar Bravo 1 Alpha Approach   Remain on this frequency, I'll have traffic for you.  '

Except it's not really a STAR it's a point in your flight plan  that you name as if it was, where past that point PF3 won't care how you fly it. The same way RC4 does it, except in RC4 you have to request it in flight. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Odd, I've never had such a problem.

Pete

Well, Pete for example LIPZ-->LOWI

if you are not given the ROKIB6J SID at LIPZ and the BRENO2A STAR at LOWI then it's wrong.

Except it's not really a STAR it's a point in your flight plan  that you name as if it was, where past that point PF3 won't care how you fly it. The same way RC4 does it, except in RC4 you have to request it in flight. 

PF3 allows you to fly the STAR without hindrance because that's what would normally happen unless ATC intervene. So until PF3 has that added feature it is a STAR. STARs MUST be flown as published unless ATC say otherwise. So it is a STAR.

I think Bob Scott's post #33  is interesting regarding his comments on how PATC does handle Sids and Stars.

And maybe the developer trying to make PATC a Swiss knife was nearly it's downfall. Development of a flight planner should have been set aside, and instead a proper voice and call sign implementation instead. IMHO

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Development of a flight planner should have been set aside, and instead a proper voice and call sign implementation instead. IMHO

And therein lies the problem, IMHO, with ALL the ATC programs. They all want to be a flight planner, inserting SID's & STARs' etc. As far as I am concerned, let the planning program create the plan. Import the plan into the ATC program and fly it or let the "co pilot" handle it. All the ATC program needs to do is give clearances, etc.

I HAVE a moving map program, I HAVE a flight planner - I don't need another one. 

Sometimes simpler is better, IMHO.

Vic

• Upvote 4

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

And therein lies the problem, IMHO, with ALL the ATC programs. They all want to be a flight planner, inserting SID's & STARs' etc. As far as I am concerned, let the planning program create the plan. Import the plan into the ATC program and fly it or let the "co pilot" handle it. All the ATC program needs to do is give clearances, etc.

I HAVE a moving map program, I HAVE a flight planner - I don't need another one. 

Vic

Yeah, I noticed that ProATC regularly deviates from the SIDs or STARs that PFPX allocated, but I usually just roll with it. I take it to be a change in plan like you might have in real life.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Vic

That is one reason I easily moved to PF3. I now create my own flight plans using mostly Skyvector and Plan G, and then select them with PF3. After a few tries, it is beyond simple, and works for both IFR and VFR. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310