Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

Also, Jaunt app has 3 or 4 awesome aviation videos.  I love the 2 aircraft carrier ones, I feel like I am in "Top Gun"

There is a VR app on Steam called Cmoar that is even  more versatile in that it allows you to access Youtube to watch 3D videos. It also allows you to watch your own movies (2D or 3D) in a variety of venues, from a small home cinema to what appears to be a gigantic Imax sized screen. It also comes as an app for Android and Apple.

Worth a look: http://store.steampowered.com/app/527160/

There is also this little gem, which is free! http://store.steampowered.com/app/457550/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Have you guys seen some of the amazing videos out for VR - off course these are non-aviation!!  I mean they are truly amazing!!!  They take you there.

Also, Jaunt app has 3 or 4 awesome aviation videos.  I love the 2 aircraft carrier ones, I feel like I am in "Top Gun"

What program do you need to watch these movies and where do you find the movies such as the ones you mention about carrier OPs?

WebMaximus.

I agree, Avsim should have a forum for VB.

One of the problems we VR advocates have is a slight disinterest in VR by the community in general. I fly PMDG, and have for years. I posted on the PMDG site and saw no interest. I suspect many have not had the opportunity to experience VR so this is understandable.

When VR gear comes down in price and more available to the community I do believe a massive awakening will occur and the immersion factor will dominate.

OTOH a high def., TV/Monitor is not a cheap alternative either.

Of course as we all know Flyinside is a public Beta. Dan Church it's author is about as friendly and helpful as you will find as a developer. I honestly think that it would be in the best interest for high end Aircraft developers to do what ever it takes to make their aircraft more VR friendly.

Flyinside will soon release an update that is good for all platforms and fixes some issues with mouse and controls for complex aircraft including PMDG. The new round of video cards about to hit the market will be a plus also.

As we know, once you experience the Immersion in VR you never want to go back. I go back and forth but still find myself amazed in VR, cannot stay away!

Best

BaldyB

Guess you're right it's still a bit early as well as a bit too expensive. However just like you say and I've said the same thing before a VR setup if you already have a good PC isn't any more expensive than getting the latest and fastest GPU which lots of people have been doing for as long as I can remember.

But I guess buying a new GPU you know what you will get. Buying a VR headset for the same amount of money if you never tried it before might be a bit scary which is fully understandable.

Best thing is of course if you can find a store that will let you try it out and still return it if you're not happy with it. Another option if you're in Germany someone mentioned (might have been in this thread, can't remember) is to rent an Oculus VR headset giving you a chance to try it out before you decide to buy your own headset.

Even when we VR users are still a minority I think it's great to see how more and more people are slowly starting to show interest in this amazing technology and discover what we already did. I just completed a flight from LEPA to EDDM tonight in VR and it was as amazing as ever with great Vatsim ATC and surrounded by other online traffic and I can't imagine how it could feel more real in front of your PC...truly amazing!!

I wish I knew some real 737NG driver. Would have been so cool to have him/her seated in front of my PC asking them to take the headset on and just watch their reaction when they all of a sudden are at work :lol:

Richard Åsberg

Sorry to hear about your crashes.

One thing I would suggest is to make sure you're running FlyInside as admin. Not sure if this is mentioned somewhere but from my own experience running P3D (or FlyInside in this case) or any other application related to P3D as admin mostly is the best option.

Another thing is to make sure you don't have HDR enabled in P3D for instance when running FlyInside. If I recall correctly FlyInside will change this automatically for you during installation and first run but worth double-checking. Also scan through the rest of your settings to make sure they look good. In my case FlyInside changed a couple of things I decided to bring back to my own preferred values.

Lastly you could try the 'Reset FlyInside P3D Settings' option found in your programs menu in Windows in the FlyInside group.

As for the lenses not showing a correct VR image I've seen this myself a couple of times and in my case it has been caused by starting P3D from a saved flight where I'm not situated in the virtual cockpit but in external spot view. Restarting P3D and loading a situation/flight where I'm placed in the v/c has always solved this issue.

Great that you're able to rent a pair of Oculus glasses in Germany and certainly we'll do our best to help you have a good experience with your VR glasses during the time you have them in your possession :smile:

Hopefully some of the guys over in the FI forum will chime in soon too.

Hi,

thanks again for your help. I got the Rift to work in P3D. I just had to start with default flight in the F22. The NGX works great too. But i have problems with TacPac aircraft. There is an additional window open which cant be closed. This slows down the sim dramatically. Second con the OOM im facing. They kill the whole immersion. Gotta dig deeper into Flyinside.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Hi,

thanks again for your help. I got the Rift to work in P3D. I just had to start with default flight in the F22. The NGX works great too. But i have problems with TacPac aircraft. There is an additional window open which cant be closed. This slows down the sim dramatically. Second con the OOM im facing. They kill the whole immersion. Gotta dig deeper into Flyinside.

Glad to hear you got it working with the NGX in P3D. Can't help you with the other issue I'm afraid since I do all my flying in the NGX.

Richard Åsberg

Just a heads up for some light fun. (You need the Oculus touch, though)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

When I tried the vive demo it looked nice but it was hard to get past the grainy look to stuff, I had issues making out small details ect. Maybe in a few years,the VR gloves are a cool idea

The commercial VR setups that are impressive to me are those with an additional camera that senses the positions of your hands and overlays virtual hands in the VR cockpit. These setups are highly dependent on the geometry of your physical controls matching your virtual cockpit, so I don't see this option being viable for consumer VR in the near future.

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The commercial VR setups that are impressive to me are those with an additional camera that senses the positions of your hands and overlays virtual hands in the VR cockpit. These setups are highly dependent on the geometry of your physical controls matching your virtual cockpit, so I don't see this option being viable for consumer VR in the near future.

Its getting there. Things like the game I posted above and Star Trek Bridge Crew with multiple people interacting on virtual instruments in 3D space shows that slowly or not, we are getting there.

Devons rig