Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

So, sit in the back/jump seat. We don't really care where you sit. In the United States of America where I fly you can sit where you damn well please!

Just hope you can reach the pedals.

Best

BaldyB

Wouldn't all that be covered under where I said "For others, it's fine?"  :smile:

I haven't tried XP or P3D but those use tricks to keep fps high and those tricks don't help when you feel sick easily. I can fly my usually 30 to 45 minutes flights and the only thing that can become problematic is the weight of the device on my head. Flights are very relaxing and I never feel out of this world or unattached like I did with the Gear VR.

I've been experimenting heavily with flyinside with both FSX and P3D. No headaches, and actually I'm impressed that it works at all. Right now, I'm just flying random places and seeing what the FPS is like, and while it's a lot of fun to see an old favorite in 3D, I at least, definitely notice the lack of the full 90FPS.

I don't get sick or anything, but it is noticeable.

That being said, it's FSX in 3D! Just the shock of that puts it in the provisional "like" category.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I took my office dev Oculus home this weekend to see how my rig would do. i7-3930+GTX680.

Not great. But I was able to experience Orbx Catalina with medium/low settings @ 10fps.

Still more than enough to give me the wow factor, and I am certainly convinced this is the way to experience the sim. Time to build a new rig...

With just a little experimenting trying to get 3D I got some actual depth perception, not full 3D and that hooked me.

Even 2D with VR is better than 2D on the monitor.

I fly VFR, I fly the big iron by hand or AP, so I will love it. I am prepared for lower resolution.

I watched a Pits over S43 VR 3D video with my iphone and headset on, and even then there was tons of depth perception. As he looped high above the runway, I did not have the actual feeling in my stomach of being there, but I did get a sensation of being there in a way I cannot explain, the feeling of height and speed and presence were surreal, and nothing I have ever experienced on a monitor.

This will be awesome and worth it, and it will change the way I fly.

Will I want to get Fly Inside, or just fly with the native programs?

Aaron Tirrell

Not great. But I was able to experience Orbx Catalina with medium/low settings @ 10fps.

Getting approx 70 or so FPS (ATW) in FSX on my Oculus, so it's pretty smooth, though the sense of depth definitely seems less than in more modern programs.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Having bought an Oculus Rift for the purpose of Flight Sims and then sold it I think it comes down to what you are prepared to live with.

I firmly believe the future is VR and I'm looking forward to that day but I think we are not there yet (perhaps 2 years) before it is of a standard that makes it a truly immersive experience for me.

I'm currently enjoying P3D on a 60Hz 4K UltraHD TV with a very fast rig and the resolution quality and performance is excellent.

While the immersion factor with the OR in a true 3D cockpit was "wow" the wow factor soon wore off due to the poor resolution and the even more troubling "screen door" effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen-door_effect . Something that in the end I couldn't live with.

I'll be back when a brand name VR headset has 4K (per eye) OLED screens running at 90FPS with excellent touch controllers allowing me to easily manipulate all the controls and buttons in the cockpit. This will be a true game changer for me and obsolete an enormous amount of current Flight Sim hardware.

Well there are naysayers and yaysayers, and then there are people who just can't wait. (that would be me!)  :smile:

Sure VR will get better, but I'm not willing to miss out on the amazing things that are available now.

Case in point: Dear Angelica, a VR Experience from the Oculus Studios, guaranteed to make one's jaw drop as you realize that you are right there, witnessing the the birth of a completely new form of artistic expression and way of storytelling.

What they've done could only be possible in VR, and it's absolutely stunning. It's also free.

Anyone with an Oculus should run to go download it right away!

I mean it!

Now!

Go!!!  :smile:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1174445049267874/

Devons rig

I'm a little wary of trying this. When I watched my first movie utilizing 3D in 2015, I started getting a headache from it about halfway through.

I tried both the Rift and Hive VR headsets with FSX and DCS on a system specifically built for VR. As others have said, there is an initial wow! factor but I found the resolution just too low for me. However, the biggest factor which put me off was that after about 10 minutes I started to feel motion sickness - the image is moving about but your head isn't, particularly if you're manoeuvring about a lot. Some people are not affected, others persist until they "get used to it" (why? it's not THAT good) and for others, like me, it just takes away all the fun.

If you can, I would say definitely find somewhere where you can give it a good, long try on similar harware to your own before making the (big) investment.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Some people are not affected, others persist until they "get used to it" (why? it's not THAT good)

I keep saying: If you are getting VR for no other purpose than Flightsims, it's probably not worth it. If however, you're open to the many other experiences that VR can offer as well, then the value of the purchase increases dramatically.

Buying VR solely for Flightsims is like buying a sportscar exclusively for trips to the grocery store.

Devons rig

I keep saying: If you are getting VR for no other purpose than Flightsims, it's probably not worth it. If however, you're open to the many other experiences that VR can offer as well, then the value of the purchase increases dramatically.

Buying VR solely for Flightsims is like buying a sportscar exclusively for trips to the grocery store.

I think quite the opposite. I just use it for flightsim and it is totally worth it for me! I think it is the killer app for these kind of devices. Reason why they may always be more of a niche product...just like high-end PC components.

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48" + 2x 15.6" Touch-screen Panels

Thrustmaster Boeing TCA Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I did not post on VR topics in this or other forums for quite awhile because some folks had mentioned that they experienced a wow factor when they first used it but, in time, it wore off and then they went back to using a monitor. Well time has passed and I am loving it as much as ever... if not more. I have not used a flight sim or a racing sim on my PC with a monitor since I got my VR setup. Some things were a little wonky at first but most developers have started to round out the edges and those developers who are now starting products with VR initially baked in are making some great software. The nice thing is as the hardware gets better so will the software - can't wait!

I think it is the killer app for these kind of devices. Reason why they may always be more of a niche product...

That's a total contradiction.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I think quite the opposite. I just use it for flightsim and it is totally worth it for me! I think it is the killer app for these kind of devices. Reason why they may always be more of a niche product...just like high-end PC components.

That's why I was careful to say it's probably not worth it. There are always exceptions out there.

Devons rig

There are times I will use the monitor for sure, and times I'll fly VR.

I also want some scary stuff for VR, and enjoy videos and movies.

VR will be awesome in so many areas.

And I understand completely about it being niche for FS.

Aaron Tirrell

I also can understand some people not liking it. For various reasons. And I am sure there also are people who get sick no matter what. I know people who can't even watch a 3D movie in the cinema due to eye problems. So it is a very personal thing. But for me VR is the best. I mainly use it for flight simming, for which I bought it, and the rest is a bonus. I have to add I am enjoying more and more bonuses the last week LOL. I had a bit of a slow start because I don't like to install things I won't really use but after seeing one or two animations I just had to get some more and I also installed a few extra (free) games and it is great. I am having a great time trying various things. (And yes, Dear Angelica is a great experience.) But after a while I am sure I will have seen it all (there aren't that much quality movies anyway) and the novelty will wear off but I am glad to say that now already Aerofly FS 2 is the program I keep going back to and which is here to stay. 'Really being there' in that plane simply rocks and no 2D screen can compare with it. In my very personal and subjective opinion. ;)

I agree. Folks had motion sickness Etc., long before aviation.

I do very little game wise outside of flight sims. So for me it's completely worth pursuing.

BTW, Flyinside will shortly release an update the fixes all the issues regarding mouse/button control and more, It will effect all platforms presently supported. This is good news particularly for PMDG users.

Best

BaldyB

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.