Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

I take it back. This is the VR cockpit of the future. Bring your barf bags. (And a Yuge wallet)   :Money Eyes:

Now this thing is nuts ha

Got the Rift this week and I agree with the topic title. Flying in 2D, even with TrackIR, won't do it for me anymore. I BTW currently only fly in Aerofly FS 2 which is the best when it comes to VR. Loving every minute of it. Despite the various (severe) drawbacks. But the immersion makes up for all that.

BTW A year ago I used the Gear VR for a month or so and I got sick quite easily. Or I would get headaches, feel disconnected from the real world after using it, dizzy, etc. Not nice. It really occured to me that I don't have all that with the Rift so far. I have to say I only played seated games (flying, driving) but still, something quite intense like Dirt Rally, even with the motion camera on, is a BLAST and it didn't make me sick at all! It is totally AWESOME.

A nice little "Vr Experience" It's very short, about 5 minutes but hey, its only $3 and all the money goes to completing the full experiance.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Slight language warning: Always cool to see a person's first reaction.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Every time I watch a VR video they are zoomed way out in the VC, is that for a wider field of view?

I hope one can be at 100% if they desire to be, I want it to be like I am right there in the pilots seat, not sitting way back in the cargo so I can see all the way to the right or left.

If I want to see to the side I will turn my head.

Even in 2 D I hate to zoom back very far in the VC because when you turn your head or view point it is totally unrealistic and kills any immersion for me.

Also, why the need for the binocular zoom for the instruments?

Does that mean your are sitting back too far to read the instruments?

If you are, and if you have to zoom in in a binocular view every time to read the instruments it might not be for me.

Thank you, and please put me at ease.

I am disheartened that TriDef does not work with the flight sims, it had so much promise, and you could set it at any zoom and see perfectly clear.

I want OR so badly, already upgraded my GPU for it, but will hate having a zoomed out VC if it has to be that way.

Once again, I hope the videos are that way because the maker of them likes to have a very wide view.

Aaron Tirrell

Don't waste your money on VR at the moment. Its terrible in P3D/FSX and XP.  Ive had an OR for month and spent many hours playing around. I purchased Flyinside for P3D and XP.  The major problem is the resolution is to low you can't read the gauges and everything more then a mile away looks out of focus! I would wait until VR is at 4K. I sure do regret wasting money on my OR unit!

• Upvote 2

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Don't waste your money on VR at the moment. Its terrible in P3D/FSX and XP.  Ive had an OR for month and spent many hours playing around. I purchased Flyinside for P3D and XP.  The major problem is the resolution is to low you can't read the gauges and everything more then a mile away looks out of focus! I would wait until VR is at 4K. I sure do regret wasting money on my OR unit!

I am sorry, but you are not the "owner of the truth". People can have different experiences. I have been using VR exclusively for almost 2 months and I could never, never, never, ever go back to flying 2D. 

Once you get used to the lower resolution, reading the gauges is fine. If you need to read something smaller, well, just like in real life, get closer to it!

I fly tubes exclusively, including all PMDG´s on P3D and IXEG/FJS on XP. At this point, the experience in P3D is better, but XP will catch up. The feeling of being in the cockpit is so amazing, that I hardly have time to even look at the scenery.

I think VR is for those who switched to virtual cockpits while the majority was still flying 2D panels. May not be for everyone, but saying that is "terrible" is just plain wrong. Been simming since 1996 and this is by far the greatest advance in the field I have ever experienced.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I am sorry, but you are not the "owner of the truth". People can have different experiences. I have been using VR exclusively for almost 2 months and I could never, never, never, ever go back to flying 2D.

Once you get used to the lower resolution, reading the gauges is fine. If you need to read something smaller, well, just like in real life, get closer to it!

I found that adjusting you position so your actually sitting in the seat makes a world of difference. After taking out a ASUS 380 4 gig vid card and replacing it with a RX-480 with 8 gig made an even bigger difference. Flyinsides message board has an article explain how to permanently position yourself in the aircraft. Each aircraft is different regarding the settings, once done you will always land in that seat when you fly.

You are 100% correct in what you say, VR is the future as long as you don't get motion sickness, gee, just like real life!

Best

BaldyB

It depends what type of flying you want to do. If you want to sit there and watch the world go by, VR is great.  But for complex flying where lots of interaction is needed with lots of reference to CRT/display data, is falls short severely at this stage with regards physical interaction and low resolution.  It is not yet the best way to flightsim as a general replacement - because one size doesn't fit all in this case.

But I agree with most that it blows you right out of your seat when you first VR, and you keep wanting to go back for more.

• Upvote 1

Every time I watch a VR video they are zoomed way out in the VC, is that for a wider field of view?

I think essentially that some people don't want the instrument panel in their laps.  :smile:

For others it's fine, but for me, for instance, having the instrument panel right in my face makes me feel like I need to back up a bit to get some breathing room. I remember doing this picture a long time ago to describe the sensation of having things right in your lap.....  :He He:

olngjxhtvuudxcqcvj6oda2.jpg

Devons rig

I think essentially that some people don't want the instrument panel in their laps.

For others it's fine, but for me, for instance, having the instrument panel right in my face makes me feel like I need to back up a bit to get some breathing room. I remember doing this picture a long time ago to describe the sensation of having things right in your lap.....

So, sit in the back/jump seat. We don't really care where you sit. In the United States of America where I fly you can sit where you damn well please!

Just hope you can reach the pedals.

Best

BaldyB

I hope one can be at 100% if they desire to be, I want it to be like I am right there in the pilots seat, not sitting way back in the cargo so I can see all the way to the right or left.

The Oculus best practice guidelines make it clear that apps for the Rift should render the FOV to match the actual FOV, since all manner of physical disorientation can be caused if there are discrepancies. Hence to be well-behaved, apps such as P3D and Flyinside shouldn't allow zooming at all.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I'm a little wary of trying this. When I watched my first movie utilizing 3D in 2015, I started getting a headache from it about halfway through.

I fly tubes exclusively, including all PMDG´s on P3D and IXEG/FJS on XP. At this point, the experience in P3D is better, but XP will catch up. The feeling of being in the cockpit is so amazing, that I hardly have time to even look at the scenery.

I think VR is for those who switched to virtual cockpits while the majority was still flying 2D panels. May not be for everyone, but saying that is "terrible" is just plain wrong. Been simming since 1996 and this is by far the greatest advance in the field I have ever experienced.

what i said was 100% true and you even admitted it! Get use to the low resolution? no thanks its awful

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

If I want to see to the side I will turn my head.

Even in 2 D I hate to zoom back very far in the VC because when you turn your head or view point it is totally unrealistic and kills any immersion for me.

Also, why the need for the binocular zoom for the instruments?

Does that mean your are sitting back too far to read the instruments?

If you are, and if you have to zoom in in a binocular view every time to read the instruments it might not be for me.

Thank you, and please put me at ease.

I am disheartened that TriDef does not work with the flight sims, it had so much promise, and you could set it at any zoom and see perfectly clear.

I want OR so badly, already upgraded my GPU for it, but will hate having a zoomed out VC if it has to be that way.

Once again, I hope the videos are that way because the maker of them likes to have a very wide view.

Those video's don't and can't show you what you see when you are using for instance a Rift. It is totally different. When I am using the Rift in Aerofly FS 2 I am sitting in the plane as if I am actually sitting there. I don't need to zoom, in fact I can't even zoom, but in Aerofly I can change my position easily on the fly so I am sitting perfectly in the pilot chair. I also don't need a zoom because I can simply lean forward. Or in any direction. Anyway, in those video's you are seeing more than you see in the Rift: you are only seeing part of it. If you want to look left or behind you, you have to look left or behind you. It simply and seriously is as if you are in the plane.

Yes, ok, things look low res and somehow pixelated. You sometimes have to lean forward to read some instruments. Sometimes, not always BTW. The Aerofly Airbus has many functions lacking right now but I could EASILY fly the Airbus with all bells and whistles in VR. But no matter what the limitations and drawbacks are, there absolutely is no way that I could go back to using a 2D screen. Not even with TrackIR. TrackIR feels weird and unnatural after using VR and it is totally incomparable! Apples and oranges.

what i said was 100% true and you even admitted it! Get use to the low resolution? no thanks its awful

Maybe you should have tried Aerofly FS 2. ;)

I'm a little wary of trying this. When I watched my first movie utilizing 3D in 2015, I started getting a headache from it about halfway through.

I used a Gear VR a year ago. I got headaches, felt a bit dizzy, got odd feelings, etc. I couldn't use it longer than 15 to maximum 30 minutes or I felt weird and out of this world. Not so with the Rift and Aerofly FS 2. The important differences are the far higher fps and the faster tracking. Aerofly has no problem keeping fps above 90 and that makes a world of difference. If I play a game that can't keep that performance I get dizzy again. I haven't tried XP or P3D but those use tricks to keep fps high and those tricks don't help when you feel sick easily. I can fly my usually 30 to 45 minutes flights and the only thing that can become problematic is the weight of the device on my head. Flights are very relaxing and I never feel out of this world or unattached like I did with the Gear VR.

YMMV though, of course. ;)

BTW I suffer from migraine with an aura (visual problems) and very busy games can trigger that for me. The Rift gives me no problems at all.