Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

Hmmmmmmm...... I'm actually slightly surprised there isn't a VR forum here, yet. 

I don't use Flyinside, so i'll be no help to you there, but hopefully some pro will read your post and offer assistance.

Glad you're enjoying the Rift!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

i bought the leap motion as well, it's a pain to push buttons with just a mouse in x-plane.i haven't used it yet, i guess a 10.00 mount is needed. one of the 2 companies should have provided it lol.

i bought the leap motion as well, it's a pain to push buttons with just a mouse in x-plane.i haven't used it yet, i guess a 10.00 mount is needed. one of the 2 companies should have provided it lol.

Flyinside's  site states you need the bracket up front. The software bracket and controller are, I think made by different company's or sold as different items for different purposes. Amazon sells the bracket and the controller. Be aware the controller needed is pointed to on Flyinside's site also. More than 1 type of controller works but you need to have the controller mounted on the Rift Headset, wont work from sitting on your work station surface!. You also have to train the software thru the controller to recognize your hand movements, like finger pointing etc. Bear in mind, still Beta. There are different companies working on tactical feedback gloves. When they are available and affordable it will put a whole new perspective on VR Flight Siming.

Good luck

BaldyB

• Upvote 1

I have Flyinside, the Rift and Leap Motion. Well, what can I say. VR is the way to go guys, no turning back after this. On the Leap Motion front, however, things are more complicated. Some buttons work, most don´t. And since it is always detecting my hand, I cannot leave it activated and fly the plane with my physical joystick. I have barely used it until now. It is just easier to use the mouse at this point. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

can someone suggest there flyinside settings? vr are looks great in other apps,and is smooth in x-plane 10,11 and fsx-se, but the gauges are just not very readable.am i doing something wrong? i just want a clearer experience so everything doesn't look jagged. i am confused on why the flight sims still run on the monitor at the same time as the rift. it would seem more logical for it not to be running on my monitor at the same time. do people unplug there monitors during sessions?i love this rift, but i am starting to get confused feelings about the product that was so expensive. i even wondered if the vive would be better.i have the resolution in fly inside to almost the highest resolution. when i choose the highest resolution the sim is missing inside fly inside. sorry to ask so many questions. this vr is all new to me. i have only had the cv1 a couple weeks and just started using it a couple days ago. i read the manual as well.

IMO, the FI-XP version is still unstable and has a few functionality bugs with XP 11 pb6. Dan is a stellar developer though and I am sure is on top of it. He has been very responsive issuing out new updates periodically. The changing XP 11 beta code I am sure isn't helping.

The P3D versions is almost flawless and works very well and stable. 

Hoping the XP version eventually matures too as that's my primary GA sim and the P3D is my ATC/Airliner sim.

can someone suggest there flyinside settings? vr are looks great in other apps,and is smooth in x-plane 10,11 and fsx-se, but the gauges are just not very readable.am i doing something wrong? i just want a clearer experience so everything doesn't look jagged. i am confused on why the flight sims still run on the monitor at the same time as the rift. it would seem more logical for it not to be running on my monitor at the same time. do people unplug there monitors during sessions?i love this rift, but i am starting to get confused feelings about the product that was so expensive. i even wondered if the vive would be better.i have the resolution in fly inside to almost the highest resolution. when i choose the highest resolution the sim is missing inside fly inside. sorry to ask so many questions. this vr is all new to me. i have only had the cv1 a couple weeks and just started using it a couple days ago. i read the manual as well.

Make sure you have the AA settings maxed out in Flyinside settings and I need atleast 4x AA in-sim in XP11 to get it readable and looking smooth. This has a big performance impact so your CPU/GPU combo needs to be top-end (and even then I am unable to maintain smooth FPS in XP 11 with a 6700K and GTX 1080).

Regarding resolution, you'll also need to reset your expectations if you are coming from a 4K setup. The resolution is nowhere close to that. I run my Flyinside on a CV1 at a 3840 resolution and its playable at that level but not great. You'll need to constantly use the binoculars and zoom functionality in Flyinside to read the guages, GPS etc. It takes a while to get used to the lower resolution but your brain adapts and the immersion sometimes more than makes up for it.

At present, I cannot use VR for extended long airliner flights on either P3D or XP11 as the demands to use gauges etc. needs much higher resolution. I limit it to short hour long GA flights that are more VFR in nature..

• Upvote 2

I have one question and the reason for my question.

I tinker with Kino VR for grins, but it feels like a tiny plane, and outside of the plane you can really only make out the runway and clouds and mountains, everything else is so small.

Plus I realize I am not in 3D, basically just wearing thwe VR as a flat montior I am just able to look around on. with T-IR.

I am trying to not be afraid to jump into VR-OR, when I ever get the money too do it, because even on a tiny iPhone 5S, with a simple airplane VR download that you just basicaLLy sit in a twin as it flies through town, between the buildings etc, I feel as though I am in the plane in 3D, and I can see the street details, the words on the signs are readable, and I can see the guages well.

And on another VR app, I am sittinbg in an Extra 300s and I get the total feeling of sitting in the plane and can see around fine, as though in real life.

So although I initialy worried that I might spend $1200+ investing in VR for my sim and be disappointed I am sure I will be blown away.

All that to lead into my question.

In the Occulus Rift, in P3D, or whatever, are you in a life sized cockpit, looking out at a life sized world where you can see the buildings details, see the ground textures, see the runways and everything else, like you are there, or is everything tiny, and unreal?

Aaron Tirrell

Everything is life sized, that's the fun of it all, but also a bit low res and blurry. Some can ignore the so called screen door effect and get the idea they are really there but some don't.

thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated, well i wonder if it's worth keeping the cv1 for me then. i am mainly a x-plane 10,11 user. i have fsx-se installed for my pmdg planes, but just don't really use it.maybe my money would be better off spent on other hardware and software i have wanted.i am using a gtx 1070, 6700k@ 4.7ghz and 32 gb of ddr4 3,000 mhz ram. if a 1080 can't do it, my 1070 is not gonna compete either.

For myself I would say again that if you go into VR, you do it to try out a range of 3D experiences, and there's not one single experience that sells the whole thing at this point. If you intend to use VR for other games, apps, etc though, I think it's more than worth it.

It opens up a whole new world in that case.

If, on the other hand,  you only have interest in one single experience, it's probably an inefficient use of resources.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

i went ahead and sold the oculus rift on ebay for 500.00, it sold 15 min after i listed it, i also put my 6700k thats 2 weeks old on ebay, along with my z170 gaming 5 micro atx on ebay, i ordered a z270 asus mark 1 and a 7700k, i listed the 6700k for 280 and the motherboard for 100, so anyone looking for a amazing deal, there you go,i want that 5ghz cpu lol.i am considering buying the flight sim labs a320. i am gonna wait for oculus to come out with a next generation when fly inside is more refined and hold onto that software. i was happy to buy the software to further development.i agree vr is flight simming of the future. i hope that future gets here in the next few years, because i love how far vr is coming. i don't know if we can list ebay links. but if anyone is on a tight budget for the 6700k or z170, here is the links.my best offer is 280 for the 6700k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172487290990?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172487207273?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Homebuilt VR simpits of the future?

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

I take it back. This is the VR cockpit of the future. Bring your barf bags. (And a Yuge wallet)   :Money Eyes:

• Upvote 3

Devons rig