Sign in to follow this  
regamuffin

Return to flight sim

Hey guys,

Iv had a massive absense from the fsx/p3d mainly due to DCS.

Iv decided to get back into the fsx world due to my love of the MD11,

Am I reading it correctly that PMDG have decided to stop selling the MD11?

Luckily I was a supporter from day go but I mean wow! The module has took some right stick over the years I personally think it was groundbreaking and one of PMDG best add-ons.

I get the feeling it's the unwanted child of theirs lol.

Yeah they stopped selling it.

To me it's still their best aircraft, and i fly it a lot still (more than the 777 & family).

• Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Blame the (apparent) over abundance of flight simmers who are only interested in flying aircraft that are currently in active service with their favourite airlines. That never mattered to me, but I guess it does for a large chunk of the tubeliner market....

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Would be nice to have an official poll, within a reasonable time frame so the simming community can really answer what they like and developers can use that as a good guage. But saying that, we were pretty much wanting a 777 in our virtual hangers. 
Luckily I still have my digital copy of the Three Holer, really tempted to put it back on fsx. Those faster vref speeds really got my concentration levels up :) 

Would be nice to have an official poll, within a reasonable time frame so the simming community can really answer what they like and developers can use that as a good guage.

Unfortunately, the decision to discontinue the MD-11 was announced December 9, 2016. I assume it was decided earlier but just no public announcement was made. For a year now anything concerning updates, P3D installers, etc the answer from PMDG has been NO. A year on, I don't think a poll is going to change their mind. Enjoy what you have and fly it. We are a select few.
  • Upvote 1

There is an MD11 in development for X-Plane 10 although it is a long way off yet as they are still finishing up on their MD82: Details are here. http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/106394-mcdonnell-douglas-md-11-md-11f-project-by-ats/

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Would be nice to have an official poll, within a reasonable time frame so the simming community can really answer what they like and developers can use that as a good guage

The poll was more than likely summed up in sales figures.(or lack thereof)  Sad indeed

There should be a 717 out before the end of the year. May be the next best thing...

Yes! Now you mentioned that, that will be something to look forward to. This certain company even put up a livestream on youtube, looks really promising indeed! It's been in the works since 2012 apparently. Anyway, that'll be the closest thing in a mini form of the MD-11 anyway. 

717 should have a lot of similar systems to the MD-11, a lot of the FMC logic and autopilot systems seem to work the same way, same as the MD-80/82/88 etc. series.

MD-11 sure is more interesting than your average ultra-computerized Boring oops, Boeing, 777. Don't get me wrong, I have both the 200LR and 300ER but the MD-11 is a lot more exciting to fly thanks to the high speeds and high wing loading, the third engine, interesting and innovative systems and features, etc.

I mean, look at that weird square 80's style cockpit. So ridiculous. Right? But...then... it starts to grow on you, gnawing slowly until you start to fall in love. And then there is the "lady" to tell you about things like stabilizer motion and FuhhhLAPS! Did you know MD hired a bunch of voice actresses to do those recordings and eventually they just went with a lady who was already working there to do the whole thing?

And who doesn't love the dial-a-flap mechanism? I have to say, I thought it was all bizarre when I first stepped into the MD-11, but once you get used to those things, you start to miss them in other aircraft. It also helps that either MD or Airbus decided to borrow a lot of ideas from eachother in the CDU interface since the MD-11 looks a heck of a lot like an A320 or A340's. After a few years of flying the "Other" company's A320 add-on, switching into the MD-11 was surprisingly easy since most of the FMC stuff was very similar.

A 717 won't be quite the same, but should still be somewhat interesting since the systems are fairly different from your typical Boeing tubeliner.

I'm still wondering when PMDG will do a 767 or 757 - the 767 is one of the most produced Boeings out there and its future is guaranteed as long as the USAF is using it as a tanker. Airlines keep ordering the 300ER model to this day. I see a lot of job offers for 767 pilots in Asia as well. Though the 777 is undoubtedly the king of long haul, the 767 fills an important gap in medium density long haul and medium hall, and high density short haul routes. The 767 and 757's have similar CDU's as the rest of the Boeing stuff but the cockpits themselves are hugely different, they're like a cross between a 737 (classic type) and a 747-400, a hodgepodge of electronic and analog gauges. Fantastic if you're a 757 guy going to a 767, but confusing if you're a 777 FO going to a 767 captain etc. The Level D 767 is showing its age with a lot of features not being simulated, PMDG could step up to the plate..! I have heard LVLD may come out with a 757 but it's been a loong time..

If only the masses understood how much fun cargo flying is - no crying babies, more varied destinations, fewer automated landings, etc.! The MD-11F and 300ER are loads of fun. From a business perspective the Cargo division is probably the only thing that keeps a lot of airlines from going bankrupt. There is way more money to be made flying cargo in a profitable business than there is in Passenger operation, where margins might be lower than 1% overall.

Go and give the DC-6 a try if you have the stomach for it - that thing takes proper skills to keep it in the air.

• Upvote 2