Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Flightsim Commander

Just Flight is having a sale on some software called Flightsim Commander. Anyone have this and know more about it?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Yes, I have used it for many years. It is a great flight planner - I use it all the time. Crossed my mine as to whether the sale was in advance of an update or new version.

George Westwell

It says version 9.6

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Thank You for the mentioning this.  I will get this.  I was deciding this or PFPX (even though that software is way to complex from watching youtube videos).  Awesome, FS commander is on sale

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Had it for years and use it every flight, great bit of software, I run it networked via WideFS.

Thank You for the mentioning this.  I will get this.  I was deciding this or PFPX (even though that software is way to complex from watching youtube videos).  Awesome, FS commander is on sale

I used FSC many years ago. As a flight planner, it's meh, compared to the other payware planners; in fact, back in the day, I used FSBuild vice FSC to plan my routes. However, FSC does shine as a tracking utility. It allows you to easily navigate around airports and vector yourself for landings. I used it in that capacity for many years until I replaced it with Aivlasoft's EFB (pricey but intuitive/attractive software). In short, I wouldn't purchase FSC as a flight planner, but I would recommend it as a tracking utility; although, again, Aivlasoft's EFB is better option here. If you don't want to spend the money of PFPX, try simbrief.com, which is free and every bit as good of as PFPX. Simbrief is defiantly superior to FSC in-regards to IFR planning

Matt King

I used FSC many years ago. As a flight planner, it's meh, compared to the other payware planners; in fact, back in the day, I used FSBuild vice FSC to plan my routes. However, FSC does shine as a tracking utility. It allows you to easily navigate around airports and vector yourself for landings. I used it in that capacity for many years until I replaced it with Aivlasoft's EFB (pricey but intutive/attractive software). In short, I wouldn't purchase FSC as a flight planner, but I would recommend it as a tracking utility; although, again, Aivlasoft's EFB is better option here. If you don't want to spend the money of PFPX, try simbrief.com, which is free and every bit as good of as PFPX.

Awesome info.  I have to look into Aivlasoft's EFB.  I just want to be able to make my own routes with waypoints.  I do not enjoy travelling in a straight line all the time.  Like to see turns and stuff and scenery below.  Can you do own routes in EFB.  I tried simbrief (neat - though I have to understand lot of it on what 95% of stuff on what does it mean).  Is one able to custom routes by using map in simbrief? I always did wonder about it.

I have done the demo from FScommander and yes the gui interface is quite crappy

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I can highly recommend Plan G, the freeware/donation-ware product from Tim Arnot. I use it for GA VFR route planning, but it has (it appears) a complete IFR capability as well. Nice interface for both planning and tracking routes.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Awesome info.  I have to look into Aivlasoft's EFB.  I just want to be able to make my own routes with waypoints.  I do not enjoy travelling in a straight line all the time.  Like to see turns and stuff and scenery below.  Can you do own routes in EFB.  I tried simbrief (neat - though I have to understand lot of it on what 95% of stuff on what does it mean).  Is one able to custom routes by using map in simbrief? I always did wonder about it.

I have done the demo from FScommander and yes the gui interface is quite crappy

Sky, have you looked at this detail Simbrief tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkvDq5enxys

Concerning EFB, you can fabricate your own routes and export them to your sim; however, this isn't the primary purpose of the software. In fact, I wouldn't recommend using it in this fashion. Do you just want to click at points on a map to create a flight plan?

You're correct concerning FSC GUI; unfortunately, the lead developer past away a few years ago. He was a very talented man; to that point, I have no doubt that if he continued to develop FSC, it would be the preeminent software planning tool today...

I can highly recommend Plan G, the freeware/donation-ware product from Tim Arnot. I use it for GA VFR route planning, but it has (it appears) a complete IFR capability as well. Nice interface for both planning and tracking routes.

Plan G is an EXCELLENT VFR planner; however, it pales in comparison to simbreif in the IFR arena. Nevertheless, if you're planning a VFR flight, Plan G is probably the way to go. If anything, this thread highlights some of awesome freeware options available to us. PlanG/Simbrief are defiantly payware quality! How awesome is it that the developers offer them to us for free...that's dedication!

Matt King

It's very useful for viewing or modifying an existing flight plan but starting one from scratch is not easy.  It has a problem with duplicate waypoints and it seems impossible to get it to remember the correct one on saving and reloading a flight plan (SHARK east of Sydney, Australia and another SHARK that I think is somewhere near Siberia for example).  It is very good for navigating around airports on the ground and seeing other aircraft, including, I believe, aircraft flying on-line.  It downloads NAT tracks and it is not too difficult to insert them into a flight plan.  It can be used w/ a dual install of FSX:Steam/FSX:Box but this takes some working around each time you scan scenery.  It should work OK on a single FSX:Steam install.  It works well on my local network using WideFS.  It seems difficult to switch from it to another window as it keeps trying to stay on top.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Guest Mik75

It's my preferred moving map, and it gives you much more additional info! (Weather information, IVAO controllers and flights, you can visualise SIDs, STARs and transitions, you can couple it to Google Earth, and so much more!)

I absolutely love it and use it on every single flight!

It's a decent planner, but once I bought pfpx I stopped using it.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I can recommend simbrief for flight planning. An excellent planner for tubliners.

Amazing package considering it's free.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Agreed that Simbrief and PPFX are far better flight planners; however, FSC is very useful to monitor/track your flights.  Simmers who don't want to spend $80 on EFB, should consider purchasing FSC for this function alone.  

Matt King

So many decisions to make. 

Just clicking on a map and setting them on the plane fmc was fun for a while.  But I want to learn the simulation etc - learn to read the numbers properly.  VFR flying in sim is easy, just throttle up and up and away we go.  Now that I have VR, I want to learn the stuff (sure it will take time - though I am a pro in installing and configuring/tweaking etc.  I guess in the past I have spent more time tweaking the sim.

Going to learn to use Simbrief.  Thank you for posting the simbrief tutorial, I had no idea that there was one.