Sign in to follow this  
downscc

Dangerous Takeoff

I just watched a departure from Paro, Bhutan on YouTube in a BA146... holy cow. VQPR 7332 ft elevation runway 6445 ft.  The experience captain departs North then immediately stays in the valley surrounded by 15-18000 ft mountains by turning right then after crossing a ridge hard left to stay in wider deeper valley.

I had to try this.

Placed my B736 BBJ on rnw 33 and lightened the load and takeoff N1 set to TO-B.  Had plenty of runway but used ND in terrain mode to navigate, of which had a lot of red.  By the time I got turned South and over the airport I was at 18000 ft but there was still plenty of red on the ND.

That was fun.

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

If you want a challenging and fun approach next, try doing one to BIIS :-).

Dan, why don't you get the Paro Buthan airport scenery ? you would enjoy it. You go to a fix TAKTI FL160, come on down towards Paro VOR, go over the airport at 11,500. If you see the airport, you go for the approach, if you don't you bingo. The whole procedure from then on is visual, you use the mountain ridges, the river, the temple, the roads--all ground reference maneuvers.

Getting out is the inverse--same way you got in. Lots of fun.

The approach is not easy since you have to navigate purely visually along the valley. I've flown once in the 738 and it was an intense experience. The missed approach is extra interesting. You have to fly over the airport and turn left into a valley, then make a 180 deg turn back over the airport. Sounds pretty crazy.

Try this one...Chitral Airport, Pakistan

Or Gilgit, also in Pakistan

• Upvote 1

Exactly, their description of the 33 departure is what I watched in the YouTube video taken from the cockpit of the BA146.  Most notable was the terrain warning activations twice during departure... SOP.  Pretty impressive that the B737-700 can negotiate this location.

Dan Downs KCRP

Exactly, their description of the 33 departure is what I watched in the YouTube video taken from the cockpit of the BA146. Most notable was the terrain warning activations twice during departure... SOP. Pretty impressive that the B737-700 can negotiate this location.

A320s regularly operate there so it's certainly possible for a 737.

ki9cAAb.jpg