Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Has anyone moved from FSX to Xplane?

Strickly flying is better in XPX, but the IMMERSION of commercial aviation is far better in FSX/P3D.

• Upvote 4

spacer.png

I was an MS FS and P3D User for years, using most of what are considered "the best" addons (PMDG, Majestic, Real Air, A2A, Dodosim, Orbx Regions, ASN, Rex etc.). And of course I would lie if I said that I wouldn't miss some of those since switching*.

In early 2015, I was trying out X-Plane 10 for the first time. Or so I thought, because it just took a week or so, and I never started up FSX/P3D since. Maybe it's just the fact, that the better X-Plane addons perfectly meet my taste, that I can live just fine with what X-Planes weather looks like at the moment and that I don't care about things like offline ATC/Traffic (I use Pilotedge when I want to have this).

And then there's two things that got me from the beginning:

1. I don't have to tweak CFGs or settings to have a smooth running sim or to avoid OOMs. Of course I can crank up every setting and y FPS will go below 30 very quickly. But I find setting up X-Plane to be smooth and good looking in any almost situation much easier than what it was in FSX/P3D.

2. (And that's probably most important) I find that X-Plane definitely is more immersive. If I had to put put it in simplified words, I would say that for me X-Plane feels like flying a plane, while FSX feels like using a plane.

*Gosh, how I miss that Dash :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

No matter what anyone else says, regarding X-Planes flight "feeling" versus FSX "feel", they are much the same to me, because I know what sim responses I'm looking for.  I said it a few months ago................that sometimes I have to think of what sim I'm in.  That must be due to a computer that runs both sims fluidly, and the fact that my pilot eyes are seeing the visuals, that provide the feel, and my mind is filling in the gaps.  I do know what flying feels like. Happily, there are aircraft for both sims, that really put out those "WOW" moments. In addition to scenery, the acceptable "feel" is something I notice immediately. That starts when I add throttle for the roll down the runway. 

Tried the demo. Graphics are fine, no question.

The built in aircrafts are rubbish. The bouncing on the sloped runway is ridiculous. I also saw it on some youtube videos.

This and the absence of a good tubeliner (with FS2Crew and stuff) and good weather addons are what stops me from buying X Plane.

• Upvote 3

As you have spent quite some money in FSX so far I wouldn't completely move to Xplane. It won't match all those years of tailoring.

Maybe instead of buying your next 2 FSX addons buy Xplane and a payware aircraft and see for yourself.

Xplane will be what you make of it, it requires Google time to find those nice (and mostly free) addons. I have been using Xplane for 2 weeks now and it looks better then my p3d. The best part? I spend 0 money on that just googling and reading forums to see what are the must haves.

After years of p3d, I think the following is true: you think of something to improve your sim? Get the wallet out some payware addon exists somewhere.

In Xplane ? Some guy had the same idea, was good at coding, did it, and gave it for free to the community.

• Upvote 1

Tried the demo. Graphics are fine, no question.

The built in aircrafts are rubbish. The bouncing on the sloped runway is ridiculous. I also saw it on some youtube videos.

This and the absence of a good tubeliner (with FS2Crew and stuff) and good weather addons are what stops me from buying X Plane.

So you tried X-Plane, out of the box, no add ons, and no research into what tubeliners are out there?  

• Upvote 1

So you tried X-Plane, out of the box, no add ons, and no research into what tubeliners are out there?  

Sure I did some research, I even opened a thread here some time ago and watched tons of youtube videos. Why would I say that there are no good tubeliners if I hadn't done some research? ;-)

there is one single good aircraft. The IGEX 737. But the "old" version of the 737 which I am not interested in. Give me a good 777, 787, A350, A330, A320... whatever... and I am in.

• Upvote 1

Howard,

Check out what is possible with clouds in this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/494912-ventura-sky-beta-3-is-here-for-everyone-to-try/page-3

I've not seen clouds that look this good in FSX with AS16 & Soft clouds.

It's just an example of the wonderful freeware & payware combos available for XP.

Looks pretty good Jose. But tell me, am I right in thinking that if you are flying at a high altitude you become aware of the clouds not extending to the horizon but only a short distance around the aircraft?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Have you checked the JAR Design products?

Sure.

They get pretty bad comments in most discussions.

• Upvote 1

Sure I did some research, I even opened a thread here some time ago and watched tons of youtube videos. Why would I say that there are no good tubeliners if I hadn't done some research? ;-)

there is one single good aircraft. The IGEX 737. But the "old" version of the 737 which I am not interested in. Give me a good 777, 787, A350, A330, A320... whatever... and I am in.

How do you rate "good"?  In your mind, what constitutes a "good" aircraft?  Not trying to start a debate, I'm just genuinely interested in your thought process.

Can you show me a "good" 787, A350, A330 in FSX?  The FSX 777, of course is available, but that took about 6 years to finish.  And the FSX A320 took even longer.

You're asking for products that take years to create for an extremely popular platform.  For X-Plane, it could take even longer because of the smaller market.  Even the IXEG 737 took about 6 or 7 years to finish.  The PMDG DC6 took almost that long as well.  

It's unfortunate that there are so many people like yourself, demanding these products, without adding X Plane to your sim collection.  You say "Make it, and I'm in.".  But without people like you, who want these complex add ons, the developers won't make them.  Why would they if the market is too small.  That's why, at the moment, developers like IXEG are doing it for the passion...and that passion reflects in their product.  Why would a developer invest YEARS into an add on that someone like you wants, who doesn't have the sim platform??

How much have you spent on FSX?  All the customizing.  The scenery packages.  The add on aircraft.  The utilities like FSNAV, FSBuild, FSUIPC, weather programs.  

• Upvote 5

The Flightfactor A350 and B767 are a pretty good mix at the moment. the B777 needs improvement, the JarDesign A330 looks great,but is very frame-hungry. PMDG DC-6 is excellent. but the IXEG 737 is king at the moment.

• Upvote 2

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

FF A350 XWB good? Not even, I regret even purchasing that unfinished plane. The MCDU is not even complete and feels lacking like most other tubeliners in X-Plane. Jar Design A320 and A330 are also planes I regret purchasing as well. After using them, I was extremely disappointed in the overall "package" that these planes offered and was one of the main things that pushed me back to P3D.

In general, most planes I have flown in X-Plane are not on the same level as FSX/P3D. They feel very incomplete, and not visually appealing either. Thats why an individual from the X-Plane community had to use his free time for over a year to improve the cockpit textures and remodel all the buttons in the FF 777 to make it look better, when this is something the developer should've taken the time to done, yet it's an improvement over the original, but still not on the same level as PMDG, Aerosoft and FSLabs, etc.

Flying tubeliners is more complete on FSX/P3D. You get the nice, detailed visuals, and a very in depth and intricate details of the internals and systems of the plane. These tubeliners on X-Plane just aren't as nice. I'm referring to the modern tubeliners...

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

FF A350 XWB good? Not even, I regret even purchasing that unfinished plane. The MCDU is not even complete and feels lacking like most other tubeliners in X-Plane. Jar Design A320 and A330 are also planes I regret purchasing as well.

I asked you earlier and still like to know how you define "good"? And what is, in contrast, "very good" for you? Do you see the A350 on the same level as the JAR aircraft? And would you say this level is "bad" or "very bad"?

Would the IXEG 737 be a good aircraft for you, if you were interested in classic airliners? Or the FJS 727 v2 or the PMDG DC-6 if you were into really old ones?

(I'd also be interested in your opinion in this thread, if you like.)

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

I'm not interested in flying old aircrafts. I like modern planes. Good to me is a well rounded and complete package, take example PMDG, Aerosoft or FSLabs. Those are good examples on what I'm basing my opinions on or when comparing between XPX and FSX/P3D. I'm very big on graphics and having good graphics is a must, especially the virtual cockpit which I'm almost always using, and it's not there for me in XPX. The FMS/MCDU is a disappointment for me as well. The systems feel incomplete and aren't modeled very well. Since this is like the brains of the cockpit and this is one of the most used aspect when flying tubeliners, it's very important to get this replicated as close to the real world as possible. None of the planes I've flown in XPX has given me that satisfaction when using the FMS/MCDU. The flying experience in general just feels more complete to me in P3D. Only thing XPX has going for it, is the night lighting.

• Upvote 3

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU