Sign in to follow this  
Rockliffe

Has anyone moved from FSX to Xplane?

I'm really interested to hear if anyone has moved from good old FSX to Xplane and what are your thoughts and opinions.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes Howard, about a year and a half ago, I bit the bullet.

I'd X-Plane 9 which just sat on the shelf, but X-Plane 10 is a different kettle of fish with 64bit support. Plenty of addons coming up, and you can mostly convert existing FS9 and FSX airports with some free tools.

Flytampa convert better when the FS9 version is used. Flying at night is BRILLLLLIIANT .

t9t91e.jpg

I'd really recommend the IXEG 737-300

There are plenty of screenshots both on avsim and on X-Plane.org

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/23517-what-plane-did-you-fly-today-max-2-pictures-per-post-one-post-per-day-please/&page=1713#comment-1056125

• Upvote 3

XPX cant match the immersion of commercial aviation that FSX (or for me now P3D) can.  I have XPX but rarely fly it for that reason.

• Upvote 4

I'd X-Plane 9 which just sat on the shelf, but X-Plane 10 is a different kettle of fish with 64bit support. Plenty of addons coming up, and you can mostly convert existing FS9 and FSX airports with some free tools.

Flytampa convert better when the FS9 version is used. Flying at night is BRILLLLLIIANT .

t9t91e.jpg

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/23517-what-plane-did-you-fly-today-max-2-pictures-per-post-one-post-per-day-please/&page=1713#comment-1056125

I see you're quite trigger happy when it comes to the manipulation of lights  :wink:

• Upvote 1

I'm really interested to hear if anyone has moved from good old FSX to Xplane and what are your thoughts and opinions.

Hey Howard,

If you're running a fully loaded FSX you will be disappointed with XP 10.50.

There are some great freeware airports and excellent payware airplanes, but the weather, ATC, AI, lack of seasons, and the UI will cause you to question your investment.

If you love flying at night, you will love XP. :wub:

• Upvote 2

I tried xplane and it was great in many ways, but the weather is so poor compared to what im used to with rex and activesky that I just dont use it anymore.   

• Upvote 2

t9t91e.jpg

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/23517-what-plane-did-you-fly-today-max-2-pictures-per-post-one-post-per-day-please/&page=1713#comment-1056125Hi 

Hi Jude, interesting, thanks for this information, appreciated. It's going to be a hard decision I think.

XPX cant match the immersion of commercial aviation that FSX (or for me now P3D) can.  I have XPX but rarely fly it for that reason.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

I tried xplane and it was great in many ways, but the weather is so poor compared to what im used to with rex and activesky that I just dont use it anymore.   

Ive switched to XP and im really missing the depiction from AS etc, SMP and RWC are OK but they just dont cut the mustard for me, weather seems to just be in square tiles around the aircraft and when you're at FL350 it can look quite poor.

Having said that, at night time you really feel like you're in that cockpit, especially in the IXEG.

Hi Mike, that is one big sticking factor for me, and one for many others I think. Why they haven't addressed this with the latest incarnation of XP goodness knows. The clouds really don't 'do it' for me. For me, it really is all about immersion.

I switched year ago, but after 250 hours I'm still not fully convinced. X-Plane is beautiful if you tune it a little bit - the mesh, ortho maps, world2xp, night lightning, terra haze, ... It can look so amazing. But there is no equivalent (in term of quality) for UT2, GSX, ASN and airliners are still not as good as for FSX/P3D (even for the same price value).

Milan Zikmund

• Upvote 2

I moved to xplane 10, and I love it, I mainly fly airliners and using the freeware x737 with the payware Javier Cortes xfmc provides a very good experience to me. The LES Saab 340 is also a nice module.

The amount of freeware scenery is definitely an asset too.

The only reason p3d is still installed is the Majestic Q400. FSX with the ngx is uninstalled already.

The default scenery of FSX/ P3D is inferior to Xplane 10 to me. I can't stand the blurry ground while cruising in p3d anymore. Textures stay real sharp in Xplane 10.

And the night lightening is amazing.

And the sloped runways, give you that extra challenge while flaring and make the scenery seem more real.

Disclaimer: this is my personnal opinion, not wanting to start any arguments, I do what I want with my free time and what's on the hard drive.

• Upvote 1

There's a lot of speculation some sort of XP11 announcement will be made in October. Might be worth holding any horses you have until then.

I have both P3D and XPX and I use prepar3d for most of my flying, and xpx for flying GA around during twilight and dusk. The lighting in Xplane is fantastic! For most everything else, P3D wins hands down.

• Upvote 1

Yes I actually uninstalled FSX as Xplane is much better in terms of performance and graphics at night(when I fly) the addons are great like the Flight factor 767 and IEGX 737,both of which but FSX addons to shame. I do keep p3dv3 installed for all my GA flying as I think it looks better graphics wise in the day time

I moved to P3D from X-Plane. Just the opposite. It's still lacking a lot of things, and it's not in the same level as FSX/P3D which have been around ages and matured quite nicely. X-Plane has great night lighting, but that's about it for me.

• Upvote 1

Yes I actually uninstalled FSX as Xplane is much better in terms of performance and graphics at night(when I fly) the addons are great like the Flight factor 767 and IEGX 737,both of which but FSX addons to shame. I do keep p3dv3 installed for all my GA flying as I think it looks better graphics wise in the day time

I find it hard to agree that FF767 and IXEG 737 are inferior to PMDG. Both are good but not of the same caliber as the 777 and NGX. The 777 has the excellent wind forecast which is incomparable in its descent forecasting. The NGX has virtually every system simulated and has failures so well simulated that I have scrambled, with sweaty palms to diagnose a light that comes on in the middle of a challenging approach. Further the IXEG vnav system is broken. I have yet to find an XP airliner that has a fully functional FMS.

As far as GA, F1 GTN 650/750 on an A2A or the Realair Duke aircraft...need I say more?

On the other hand, the DC-6 on XP is the best version on any platform.

• Upvote 2

I find it hard to agree that FF767 and IXEG 737 are inferior to PMDG. Both are good but not of the same caliber as the 777 and NGX. The 777 has the excellent wind forecast which is incomparable in its descent forecasting. The NGX has virtually every system simulated and has failures so well simulated that I have scrambled, with sweaty palms to diagnose a light that comes on in the middle of a challenging approach. Further the IXEG vnav system is broken. I have yet to find an XP airliner that has a fully functional FMS.

As far as GA, F1 GTN 650/750 on an A2A or the Realair Duke aircraft...need I say more?

On the other hand, the DC-6 on XP is the best version on any platform.

The Igex 737 isn't done yet and almost all the systems are present those that aren't are going to be added. I've never used wind forcasts in the PMDG 777,I'm not even sure what you need them for. As for failures I never use them either,I don't want to be 3 hours into a flight for my VA just to loose an engine or somthing of the like and have to divert. The IGEX does have failures I had to shut down an engine in flight due to oil stavation as I had flown about 10 legs that day and never reloaded the plane and it ran out of oil in number 2. What's nice about Xplane is No OOMS no random CTD's so if I want to fly 10 legs in a day I can and never have to reload the sim.
  • Upvote 3

I personally couldn't bear to go back to the depictions of flight sim that are FSX and P3d. I went through them on my way to finding what in my personal opinion is the best sim experience to be had. With a little effort (what sim doesn't take effort?) and for a lot less money than one might spend on the others to get them to their satisfaction, X-Plane 10 becomes something truly special, truly worthwhile. Try it, you might find you like it.

• Upvote 3

I personally couldn't bear to go back to the depictions of flight sim that are FSX and P3d. I went through them on my way to finding what in my personal opinion is the best sim experience to be had. With a little effort (what sim doesn't take effort?) and for a lot less money than one might spend on the others to get them to their satisfaction, X-Plane 10 becomes something truly special, truly worthwhile. Try it, you might find you like it.

This.

P3d and FSX get really expansive really fast.

The mindset of the Xplane community is different as well, there is more ppl working out of pure passion and giving their work to the community for free (see Mister X amazing work)

• Upvote 4

The Igex 737 isn't done yet and almost all the systems are present those that aren't are going to be added. I've never used wind forcasts in the PMDG 777,I'm not even sure what you need them for.

The wind forecast is for accurate descent preparation to avoid excessive speed braking or S-turns on descent in gusty conditions. Of course its not necessary to fly the aircraft accurately, but adds a level of depth to the sim and if these things are not important to you, then IXEG or FlightFactor are fine aircraft. 

• Upvote 1

Wow, some great opinions here fellas. Thanks to all for such passioned replies. It really is very interesting to here such diverse opinions about something that has been experienced by so many people about the same bit of software. 

I have been simming for about 6 years now, and during that time I have invested in excess of about £5000 on FSX, that includes all the hardware as well as zillions of airports, scenery and addons. So I guess what I'm saying is that there is not a single default element in my entire FSX. I actually like installing addons tio make my flying experience more immersive. I like to jump in the cockpit and fly as closely as possible to the real thing. From what I've seen of Xplane, has more or less been confirmed here. It looks great at night, but during the daytime it comes second to FSX and P3D. Most of my flying is done during the day. I have all the Orbx sceneries, ASN, REX, Voxatc so it is all very immersive. I do have a few concerns that I won't get that degree of reality and immersion with Xplane.

• Upvote 1

Blurries and stutters kills any immersion, that is why I dont fly P3D

• Upvote 3

Switched from FSX/P3D a few years ago and little regrets. I just find XPX a better platform for next-gen hardware.

• Upvote 3

It really is very interesting to here such diverse opinions about something that has been experienced by so many people about the same bit of software.

Exactly, and none of the posters knows what would be your impression of X-Plane.

during that time I have invested in excess of about £5000 on FSX

And you're afraid to spend 60$ to try it by yourself ? :smile:

Try it, it's the only way to know.

Pascal

Exactly, and none of the posters knows what would be your impression of X-Plane.

And you're afraid to spend 60$ to try it by yourself ? :smile:

Try it, it's the only way to know.

Pascal

Sure, I did once before, but it lasted about half an hour! I basically thought the scenery sucked big time. However, I am curious to see if anything has changed over the past couple of years.