Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Has anyone moved from FSX to Xplane?

Marketing 101 teaches you that the more accessable/user friendly you make a product, the more people will use it. People want to fly virtual aircraft, not fumble their way through a clunky, unintuative interface first.

So what you are contextualising is that Austin is saying to his potential userbase: 'Hey simmers, I have the best flightsim on the market! But you'll only be able to get to the good bits once you've figured out the REALLY difficult bits first (which have nothing to do with flying an aircraft at all). And by the way, you may become bored figuring out the difficult bit first, in which case, you lose.

You are in fact totally correct. That's precisely the situation. That's exactly why the uptake is so slow and the aftermarket backing so sparse.

But I guess, the beginnings of Xplane started with a man who became so fed up with the lacking features in MSFS, that he created a flightsim all by himself.  There is alot to be said for that.

To you, it's obviously difficult.  To people who have had X-Plane for a while, it can take as little as 30 seconds to a minute to configure hardware and get flying.

Let's take your example a little further.  Marketing.  Boeing has been around for decades.  Then, decades later along comes Airbus.  They did EVERYTHING differently.  They did it to how THEY thought was best.  Soon, Airbus was accepted and welcomed by airlines and customers alike.  Airlines still like Boeing.  But they also like Airbus.

X-Plane isn't difficult to operate.  It's just different.

To you, it's obviously difficult.  To people who have had X-Plane for a while, it can take as little as 30 seconds to a minute to configure hardware and get flying.

Let's take your example a little further.  Marketing.  Boeing has been around for decades.  Then, decades later along comes Airbus.  They did EVERYTHING differently.  They did it to how THEY thought was best.  Soon, Airbus was accepted and welcomed by airlines and customers alike.  Airlines still like Boeing.  But they also like Airbus.

X-Plane isn't difficult to operate.  It's just different.

I was being dramatic.  I agree with you.  

I'm possibly one of the few people here who've never used FSX. I started with X-Plane 9 in late 2009, and went straight on to 10. I gave FSX a cursory couple-hour-long attempt, but somehow it just felt... old. Forget the flying - I felt like I was wresting with the very simulator itself to get it to do what I wanted, from installing an add-on to tweaking graphics.

With X-Plane, literally everything is accessible and editable through the file system, and this is a virtue of it being developed on OS X, which has Unix roots. Even the object files for scenery are simply text files (which can be edited by hand, provided one is brave enough).

It's also a reason why I was so vehemently against developers hard-coding directories into their add-ons and using installers (ahem, IXEG and PMDG) instead of archive files as is tradition with X-Plane add-ons. But this is a dead horse, so I don't want to bother flogging it, given the fact that most of X-Plane's new user-base is likely to be from FSX migrants who are all used to clicking through installers rather than unpacking archives.

As for graphical depiction of weather, ground textures and the dreaded ATC - I can't say for sure to what extent these will be improved in X-Plane 11. The key weakness in weather appears to be in two main areas - the 'three layer' depiction, and the fact that the weather only loads in tiles. These are glaringly obvious when flying at FL350-400, and one I sincerely hope the developers will fix. Not to mention the terrible performance that we get if the skies become remotely overcast.

Seasonal textures appears to be asked for frequently, but I'd rather a fixed AI+ATC.

Next, autogen ought to be a little less resource-hungry. Something like W2XP + HD Mesh v3 can easily kill performance on slightly lower-end systems, even with 16 GB of RAM.

All in all, I hope X-Plane maintains its open character, with key improvements made in the simulator. Vulkan + Metal is another part where the devs might focus on (Ben Supnik has already hinted that they may move on from OpenGL in V11 in some of his comments in the developer blog).

• Upvote 3

What's missing for me in XP 10.50 is a better weather rendering system, AI traffic, ATC (VFR & IFR), and a moving map with terrain awareness. I have plenty of planes & choppers and scenery.

If XP 11 doesn't address these important features, then I and many others will be extremely disappointed.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Next, autogen ought to be a little less resource-hungry. Something like W2XP + HD Mesh v3 can easily kill performance on slightly lower-end systems, even with 16 GB of RAM.

The buildings you get with W2XP are not autogen. Default autogen can be shown in parallel (depending on which kind of W2XP scenery you use), but where OSM data is good W2XP draws its own buildings.

With X-Plane, literally everything is accessible and editable through the file system, and this is a virtue of it being developed on OS X, which has Unix roots. Even the object files for scenery are simply text files (which can be edited by hand, provided one is brave enough).
It's also a reason why I was so vehemently against developers hard-coding directories into their add-ons and using installers (ahem, IXEG and PMDG) instead of archive files as is tradition with X-Plane add-ons.

I completely agree with these points. Having low-level access is a VERY big plus and I really don't like the way how scenery and aircraft are managed in FSX/P3D. That's in fact the main reason I do not want to use these two. I want to control my installed custom scenery and aircraft on the file system level, not with dozens of installers or in cumbersome GUIs.

• Upvote 4

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Just take it for what it is, some people just don't like X-Plane for various reasons. This is a subjective matter. I can speak on my behalf, I've used XPX since 10.0.0, and I've put many hours into it. I've probably used XPX more than P3D, and in my opinion the latter is just a better flight sim because of all the add-ons. Without add-ons, either sim would be pretty much be extremely dull. I'll wait to see what XPX 11 brings. I'm sure I will mess with it, but until I see high quality add-ons, I'll just stick to P3D.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just take it for what it is, some people just don't like X-Plane for various reasons. This is a subjective matter. I can speak on my behalf, I've used XPX since 10.0.0, and I've put many hours into it. I've probably used XPX more than P3D, and in my opinion the latter is just a better flight sim because of all the add-ons. Without add-ons, either sim would be pretty much be extremely dull. I'll wait to see what XPX 11 brings. I'm sure I will mess with it, but until I see high quality add-ons, I'll just stick to P3D.

Aaron, since you evidently prefer P3D, then what is the purpose of coming to the X-Plane forum and discrediting the simulator and it's users?

• Upvote 1

This is a forum right? and as a community forum for flight simmers, I should be able to freely express my opinions and thoughts. I did not solely decide to join the XPX forum to start bashing it. I saw this subject on the topic table above the forum listing and wanted to add my 2cents. Whether it's something negative/positive or something that the individual agrees/disagrees with. There's just some things I feel strongly about and I wanted to voice them. Nothing more.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

There's just some things I feel strongly about and I wanted to voice them. Nothing more.

Except one little thing, you're not on topic.

Topic was;

Has anyone moved from FSX to X-Plane?

• Upvote 4

I've used XPX since 10.0.0, and I've put many hours into it

The problem I see is that P3D is going nowhere or in a direction us simmers want and FSX is quite frankly dead, the future as far as I see is X-Plane, Dovetail, or Aerofly. I'd love to see XP blossom like FSX did, and I think we may eventually see this. You may not like X-Plane, but lots of us do, it's all a question of taste.

One thing I'll say I really like about X-Plane is that it still has that freeware spirit which makes it my platform of choice, and it's one thing I hope never changes

• Upvote 6

This is a forum right? and as a community forum for flight simmers, I should be able to freely express my opinions and thoughts. I did not solely decide to join the XPX forum to start bashing it. I saw this subject on the topic table above the forum listing and wanted to add my 2cents. Whether it's something negative/positive or something that the individual agrees/disagrees with. There's just some things I feel strongly about and I wanted to voice them. Nothing more.

Nicely said Aaron

OK fellas, so.... what about my VOXAtc, REX clouds, Track IR, Ezdok, LINDA, SPAD, FSUIPC, configuring my Saitek panels and my VRinsight MCP? Oh, and a three monitor setup. I read earlier that iXP doesn't support three monitors... is this right?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Nicely said Aaron

OK fellas, so.... what about my VOXAtc, REX clouds, Track IR, Ezdok, LINDA, SPAD, FSUIPC, configuring my Saitek panels and my VRinsight MCP? Oh, and a three monitor setup. I read earlier that iXP doesn't support three monitors... is this right?

There is  XPUIPC , Ezdok - - Headshake or G-force (just saw it yesterday @.org) TrackIR yes, REX = SMP I guess , you can also use Pilotcommand, but for the other like Voxatc / Linda (don't know what it is ) SPAD (No idea what it is).

Some good freewares :

Hughes 500D (if you like helis )

Mi-2

Aero Boero 115 Bush plane (Dreamfoil)

Forgot to mention also checkout the CH650 STOL aircraft very good. Sbach 300 great fun aerobatics

If your system can handle it then HD + UHD Meshes and W2xp

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

VOXAtc maybe could be replaced with Pilot2ATC (http://pilot2atc.com/)

REX is not available for X-Plane 10 (it was for X-Plane 9, but that is not compatible).

TrackIR works out of the box, IIRC.

Ezdok maybe could be replaced with X-Camera (http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/24209-x-camera-linmacwin-32-64/), although X-Plane already has good camera options out of the box (esp. the view presets you can define)

Instead of SPAD, you use XSaitekPanels (http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/14646-xsaitekpanels-linwinmac3264/) (I don't know if SPAD also supports the Saitek flight instruments; these work with http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/28382-saitek-flight-instrument-panel-tech-support/)

FSUIPC - for basic connectivity between X-Plane and external program that use FSUIPC there's XPUIPC. No other functions of FSUIPC are supported by XPUIPC, though.

VRinsight MCP -- some people seem to run it, but don't ask me how, I don't own this thing :)

Three monitors work, yes.

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

I think i can say I moved from FSX to XP10. With the right (most of them free) addons it is just so much more immersive to me. The way the wheels touch the ground on landing, the extended terrain rendering makes tube flying at altitude a lot more real. The way you fly through the clouds is way more realistic than fsx, even with ASN. You get used to the UI fast enough. The way you can set up your viewpoints is very easy. I try FSX from time to time, but quickly return to XP. There are areas such as AI traffic and ATC that are better, but to me XP looks so much better that it's not worth going back for. You really need to take some time to get to know the sim and the right addons. The thing I really hope they fix is the way variable wind is interpreted. It's like a boy is holding your (toy)plane by the tail. So when the metar says variable winds, I switch off real wx and set it up manually. I enjoyed MSFS for 3 decades and am thankful, but now something better came along.

• Upvote 4

Yahoo :yahoo:!!! Finally we have again fruit- and endless discussions ...

I also can say I have switched from FS9/FSX to XP8/9 and of course later XP10 - am I on topic with this? :wink:

Later, I fired up FSX again for 30 min and was disappointed. It wasn't as good as I had it in memory. I tried harder again (not only 30 minutes) to like FSX and even with high class planes, but as long as sloped runways, 3D clouds, "real" night lighting, seasons (I mean ... simulated seasons), the feeling of flying (what is possible on a flat screen), comfortable and intuitive UI/keyboard shortcuts, wake turbulence, ... you name it ... are not implemented the immersion is not given and no chance to use FSX (or P3D) again ...

I think, I know why this dicussion was started in the first place ...

Bottom line: This kind of discussion were ... are ... and ever will be end-/fruitless.

• Upvote 4

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...