Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Updates are in patch form then, leaving your install undisturbed, unlike P3D?

Just one last clarification on the default world scenery install. Are these files dl'ed and added directly into the sim, or can you save them to add when you wish? Again I refer to the forthcoming version and having to do the process twice if I get v10 now; if the current scenery is the same in XP11 will I have to download it all again upon release...... if anyone knows that is :)

The new default scenery in XP11 will NOT be the same as in XP10. It is based on MUCH newer data.

But you can choose which regions to install, so I suggest you only install a small part for 10.

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

The new default scenery in XP11 will NOT be the same as in XP10. It is based on MUCH newer data.

But you can choose which regions to install, so I suggest you only install a small part for 10.

Thank you for the clarification Mario :)

The best is to download Alpilotx Meshes if you have a highend system , which should cover the whole America's (correct me if wrong ) , Europe / Scandivian / Japan / korea / Himalayas / Australia and also NZ.  These should work with XP11 as they have mentioned it will have backward compatibility. 

If you want to check the new data then yes you probably would need to redownload the tiles for XP11

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I was wondering: the default scenery tiles are 60 GB...? FSX/P3D doesn't even come close to that while I always hear XP scenery isn't as good...? So why so much data? Apparently that 60 GB is even without proper mesh? What is taking up all that space?

Default mesh in XP10, as well as even landclass is much better than default mesh in FSX / P3D...

• Upvote 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I was wondering: the default scenery tiles are 60 GB...? FSX/P3D doesn't even come close to that while I always hear XP scenery isn't as good...? So why so much data? Apparently that 60 GB is even without proper mesh? What is taking up all that space?

XP's .dsf system takes more space than FSX's mesh because there's more stuff prebaked into the files, while FSX has a more on-the-fly (literally haha) approach to terrain generation.

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

XP's .dsf system takes more space than FSX's mesh because there's more stuff prebaked into the files, while FSX has a more on-the-fly (literally haha) approach to terrain generation.

Ah, ok, hence probably also the better performance...

Ah, ok, hence probably also the better performance.

the biggest difference is the not existing blurries. That comes from FSX/P3D loading in scenerey constantly

• Upvote 1

Hmm but it does not happen in the DCS helis , not comparing but these are the basic stuff that should be addressed IMO.

I don't know which helicopter models you've tried in X-Plane, but the X-Trident Bell 412 (and I think the Dreamfoil helicopters?) have had the input of real-life pilots to help calibrate the simulation. The torque modeling of the main rotor thrust vs. airframe rotation when collective is pulled should be pretty close.

If you're getting a different amount of main rotor torque effect in DCS, then it may not be the actual flight model, but the way the two very different sims are reading the control inputs from your hardware. Especially if you have any response curves applied in either sim.

I'm not a real-life helicopter pilot, although I've spent countless hours in them as an aerial photographer in real life. For what it's worth, pulling collective in X-Plane doesn't seem to require an unusual amount of pedal to counteract in the models I have: Bell 412, Bell 407, BK-117. The 407 is a little twitchier than the other two, but then it probably should be since it's not as heavy.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I don't know which helicopter models you've tried in X-Plane, but the X-Trident Bell 412 (and I think the Dreamfoil helicopters?) have had the input of real-life pilots to help calibrate the simulation. The torque modeling of the main rotor thrust vs. airframe rotation when collective is pulled should be pretty close.

If you're getting a different amount of main rotor torque effect in DCS, then it may not be the actual flight model, but the way the two very different sims are reading the control inputs from your hardware. Especially if you have any response curves applied in either sim.

I'm not a real-life helicopter pilot, although I've spent countless hours in them as an aerial photographer in real life. For what it's worth, pulling collective in X-Plane doesn't seem to require an unusual amount of pedal to counteract in the models I have: Bell 412, Bell 407, BK-117. The 407 is a little twitchier than the other two, but then it probably should be since it's not as heavy.

I have the AS350 and no curves because i have an extended stick, even in DCS no Curves

The problem is not the torque, but rather, the excessive lack of roll inertia that can get your heli to perform an axial roll with just a tide less soft cyclic input...

Also some basic effects starting with VRS aren't credibly modelled, even on the Dreamfoil models....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The problem is not the torque, but rather, the excessive lack of roll inertia that can get your heli to perform an axial roll with just a tide less soft cyclic input...

Also some basic effects starting with VRS aren't credibly modelled, even on the Dreamfoil models....

Weird, I've never experienced that axial roll issue. Maybe it's the models I'm using, or a softer touch on the cyclic or something. If it's not realistic it should be fixed, I agree.

Yeah, VRS is an X-Plane issue that the individual modelers can't do anything about. It's great that the devs think it's important enough to be in the sim, but it comes on very quickly, and since there are no force-feedback cues in the controls, you can't feel the onset. You just drop like a rock. It may be overly aggressive in the trigger conditions. I always make sure I have a little forward motion when landing to avoid it. 

Maybe some of this will get attention in v11. It would be nice to get some new things like mast bumping on the 2-bladed teetering rotor heads. I think DCS models that with the Huey, and it's something you have to lean to avoid in civilian helicopters like the R22.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Again for those who do not like to go back in this thread. 11 pages back, I have detailed the most relevant changes in the data going to the XP11 global scenery ... read it here:

How did i miss that ?  Thanks Andras.

What is this axial roll now ? I am not talking about the roll axis it's the horizontal spin, I notice it a lot in the AS350, now in DCS the Mi-8 and the Huey don't do that meaning it's not to that extent like in XP10.

What is this axial roll now ? I am not talking about the roll axis it's the horizontal spin, I notice it a lot in the AS350, now in DCS the Mi-8 and the Huey don't do that meaning it's not to that extent like in XP10.

I mean when you use the cyclic for rol. Response is over sensitive, as if the helicopter had no inertia, and you can easily "snap-roll" with it ... Try that in DCS... Not possible.

Main Simulation Rig: