Sign in to follow this  
Chris Bell

Secret Project Unveiling - vEarth (Virtual Earth)

Secret Project Unveiling - vEarth (Virtual Earth)

this project has been in the making for some time now,
initially on paper, than as a proof of concept, and now it is in full on development!

with this project we aim for a new experience when it comes to Photoreal scenery integration!
we are still working and developing in-house functionalities we need to achieve this experience,

starting with color corrected Photoreal imagery! for ALL N.A. collected no earlier than 2015!
as it stands our standards are LOD15! we will include all seasons variations! and Night!
(we may or may not mix High res with lower res imagery in metro area's,
our rational is... there is no point in using high res imagery than covering it with objects that block the imagery anyway)

beside a complete special edition Night Environment style Lighting system (Autogen based with traffic!!!)
what makes this project different than what most already familiar with is...

we detect the data we render directly from the actual imagery we use!!!

Project full Detail and info here

KIMM to KAPF Part-1

KIMM to KAPF Part-2

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Chris,

This looks interesting. I just want to make sure I understand what I am looking at, are you basically able to vector in trees/objects over Photoreal? Is that the purpose of this? 

• Upvote 1

Awesome stuff brother - yes Josh I thinks thats what he is showing

• Upvote 1

Thank you Rich  :wub:

are you basically able to vector in trees/objects over Photoreal? Is that the purpose of this?

that is correct Josh :smile:
and much much more, we intend to vector in every object possible, even boats on the water that appear in the imagery,
whatever is not available in data form; we detect directly from the imagery and convert to data we than use for placement,
indeed this is all is happening over a Photoreal layer and controlled via Sim sliders, there's allot more info on our Project page,

these trees (aka vegetation) for example are not only detected from the actual Photoreal imagery we use,

the data is also cross referenced with tree/vegetation Age, Size, and Type DB's!

Project full Detail and info here

• Upvote 1

A promising approach, me thinks. I always loved photoreal but this could be the icing on the cake. Wonder about data volume though. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you Hans :wub:

this video is my own first test flight; i recorded it as soon as the data was ready for in Sim inspection about three days ago,

it is unfiltered or manipulated in any way, it is my own personal flight recorded raw! (im uploading part two of that flight)

the data in use was filtered for false negative matches only,

i was expecting a much higher hit with all the data unfiltered and Sim sliders at MAX!!!

but i was pleasantly surprised, i was dead locked on 30FPS! and im using a laptop!

this is data using Sim default models, we haven't even added our own there,

ours should perform 30% better than Sim's default model libraries,

all this info is available on the Project page, including my own laptop specs,

Hi Chris, looks amazing, wondering roughly how much storage will be required? Right now I use a 500GB SSD but if it's all of NA then it might be several hundred gigs? Recommendations on a mesh product or just default?

• Upvote 1

Thank you Steve,

surprisingly enough for Florida we are using all default mesh there,

which  should be boring due to the states natively flat terrain, yet its not; even without the building yet!

as for size, id expect a state like FL with all Seasons + Night, with its extended vector data to be somewhere in the 60GB :blush:

(our test area is about a fifth of the state, its 10GB in total atm)

Sign me up.  I prefer Photoreal flying myself.   

• Upvote 1

This definitely looks very interesting!! Will have to keep an eye on this.

Also, Chris, any chance I can convince you to never use that font again? :) Maybe it's just me and old age creeping up on me but, man, was this hard to read.

• Upvote 2

Thank you Kevin,

which font are you referring too; the one i use on my site?

i thought it actually makes the font with the blue color softer on the eye; maybe its just me?

are you using default font size? (use Ctrl ++ or -- to increase decrease font on any page)

The font you used in your initial post. It's no big deal. Not trying to be rude or anything but to me it is way harder to read than the font you used in this last reply. :)

• Upvote 1

that the font and color combo i usually use with "announcement" posts to distinct from regular posts :smile:

Very nice Chris, you might even tempt me to fly outside the UK with this :P

• Upvote 1

If this is going to be roughly state based products can we expect that the transitions between photoreal areas will be pretty good? Seen problems with other photoscenery before where it is a pretty jarring transition between products of the same producer. Florida will be pretty popular I'm sure, good choice for a first state. Hoping this finds it's way to Michigan before I die of old age :P

• Upvote 1

Hi Steve :)

indeed vEarth is a state based product line, you should expect nothing less than perfection!

our imagery sources are very recent, collected and rendered as of last year,

vEarth is like nothing you seen before when it comes to Photoreal based scenery,

it is the culmination of everyone on our Team experience and long time wishes; all wrapped in one package,

I hope Hawaii comes first!

Will these products be standalone? I mean in order to get both autogen and photoreal, will it require that we own and use products such as FTX Global, FTX Vector, FTX openLC, Mesh, etc?

• Upvote 1

excuse my French Aaron but... heck NO!

this is stated on the projects home page very clearly, including the systems specs i recorded this on,

in this video we used a plain vanilla Sim with no addons of any kind; or any modification made to config files,

this is a standalone self sufficient / self contained product,

excuse my French Aaron but... heck NO!

this is stated on the projects home page very clearly, including the systems specs i recorded this on,

in this video we used a plain vanilla Sim with no addons of any kind; or any modification made to config files,

this is a standalone self sufficient / self contained product,

I know it is not reliant on any 3rd party mesh product Chris, but to clarify for others;

a) does it contain a mesh included with the product?

B) if not, will any 3rd party mesh product, (payware or freeware), enhance the photoreal experience? (obviously more so in hilly/mountainous areas!)

• Upvote 1

i was referring to the video where we didn't use any third party mesh, only what exists in Sim,

in general we may include Mesh (when and as needed),

@Steve

below is our entire NA imagery set

(not color corrected yet)

57ff5083cd009_NA.Imagery.DBSmall.png.8ab

• Upvote 2

Looks nice so far, can't wait to see how this will be compared to FTX Global/Vector/openLC... in terms of visuals and performance...

Having both photoreal and autogen is the best of both worlds and its something I've been dreaming of for awhile. this is actually done on XPX which I really love.

I hope you guys will offer a complete package where we can purchase the entire country. Will we get your amazing night lighting laid on top of your photoreal scenery too? This will be a big hit if it can offer all that!

• Upvote 2

i have listed this on the main project page as well as here,

vEarth includes 4 season and Night (indeed Night will include NE style lighting and textures)

and the list goes on....

not to take from any respected developers work; you cannot compare vEarth to any existing scenery work!

we each focus on different scenery type and elements, its not apples to apples,

i don't think its even fair to compere visuals,

we render real world imagery with accurate objects vs random textures with random objects,

completely two different animals,

if you ask me its always going to boil down to the personal pilots preference,

some like the realistic experience, some like the random generated texture style,

we are well aware of the quality and service top developers offered today, we don't fall shy of any,

we pride our-self's being innovative pioneers; we render top quality scenery using latest technology, with zero compromises!

not to mention first class support!

• Upvote 1

Hi Chris,

With the likely extremely large size of this project, will you offer an option other than download? Would just hate to have to spend weeks downloading it  :smile:

Dave

• Upvote 2

Hi Dave,

it is very possible we will offer a hard copy delivery as an option,

• Upvote 1