Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Question about Traffic Optimizer

Hi all,

Yeterday I installed TO and I have it working.

I installed it because of the low framerate at Mega Airport Frankfurt V2 ( triple monitor setup with photoscenery + custom ag + multiple cloud layers ).

Two days I tested and modified things and the result was a smooth environment.

However , traffic I had at 3% which already gave 8-9 aircraft at the airport.

So, after installing TO I tried it manually and it deleted flights/aircraft.

At 6% I have 10-12 aircraft with TO set to 20.

Then I did a flight from Schiphol to Frankfurt with TO set to Auto.

At approach I checked TO ( 47 --> deleted 27 ) so it seemed to work.

However, taxiing at the airport there was no AI traffic at all, just the 2 static airplanes.

Then I shutdown TO , set AI traffic in P3D to 0% reloaded, set it to 6% and reloaded.

Inmediately 10-12 AI aircraft.

Again I started TO , Optimized and checked : 10-12 AI aircraft at the airport..

Is the Auto feature from TO working correctly in P3Dv3.4 ?

All suggestions are welcome.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Gerard

Same here. P3Dv3.4 and Traffic Optimizer in use. Traffic settings at 45% for AI. TO Settings Auto Optimize and 50 as target.

While on the departure Airport I have a lot of traffic with reasonable performace. However when I reach my Destination, there is almost no traffic.

Maybe someone with an older Version of P3D can test this scenario.

Have check the "preserve airport traffic" option and entered your departure and arrival airports?

Have check the "preserve airport traffic" option and entered your departure and arrival airports?

Yes, that is checked.

If it is working when testing manually than it also should work on automatic.

Departing and arrival airport not entered. What does this do ?

I have the feeling that when flying ( in my case with settings to 20 ) aircraft around me are getting deleted, including aircraft on the ground..

Even with preserve airport traffic checked...

Have you entered a flight plan into P3D? It uses that to ignore traffic at your two airports. No problems using it with FSX.

Gerard, unless the program knows where you're gonna land, the preserve airport traffic doesn't really help much. You need to enter your departure and arrival airports manually. I also think the program does this automatically if you run it after you've put a default flightplan into action.

If you are talking about Air Traffic Manager 1.9.1.1 , I just put the departure and destination in manually before I fly, and it works fine in 3.4 as it did in all other versions. 

Yeah as Simmerhead mentioned it needs to know what airports you are departing and arriving to preserve those aircraft.   Occasionally I'll land at a small airport with no traffic but when checking SuperTrafficBoard I see they are scheduled to depart 30 min. after I land so they don't show up until closer to their departure time.    One night I sat there about 5-10 min and traffic started to land and depart.  So it was more a function of AI flight schedules than TO.   But larger airports should have pretty constant traffic. 

Then I will try with the airports entered and preserved checked..

Thanks so far guys..

So which program are you people using? 

I have TO networked and it automatically gets the airport ID from the flight plan. Preserve traffic and auto optimize is check. I just start TO and everything else goes to work.

Using 1.9.1.4

I have TO networked and it automatically gets the airport ID from the flight plan. Preserve traffic and auto optimize is check. I just start TO and everything else goes to work.

Using 1.9.1.4

OK, the name of the program is Air Traffic Manager, that is why I was confused. Never heard of TO.....   http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmdftsy127jgux2/AirTrafficManagerFSX-P3D+Radar_v1914.zip

Regarding a flightplan : I use Prosim and it directly copies the Prosim fligplan into my CDU.

What does the TO read and where ?

Regarding a flightplan : I use Prosim and it directly copies the Prosim fligplan into my CDU.

What does the TO read and where ?

For FSX it reads the plan loaded into the sim via the Flight Plan option. I imagine P3D has a similar option.

Or you can configure FSUIPC to provide a Load Plan option in the Addons menu and load a plan manually that way.

The Prosim flightplan goes directly into the CDU .

After shutting down the flightplanner part there is only a flightplan in the CDU on my client pc.

For me it is better to enter both airports manually in TO.

Thanks.

Yep, You'll have to do it manually unless your CDU creates a default FSX/P3D flight plan. 

TO is a must have program on my flights and it works extremely well in P3D.    Once I understood how it works it allowed me to unlock a world I thought I'd never see in my flight sim universe... fully stocked airports without FPS going into the toilet.    This is how I set my flights up.

I'll get a flight plan filed from SimBrief and load the PLN file into the simulator.  Once I am in the cockpit SimStarterNG fires up TO automatically for me and it scans my flight plan and populates the Departure and Arrival airports into TO.   Be sure Preserve Traffic is on and Auto-Optimize set.  AI traffic limited to 100 planes.   I am good to go there.

My traffic slider is set to 75% Commercial traffic in P3D and my AI plane limit is set to 100 in TO.   When you use TO you can get away with really high slider values because TO is going to do magic.   When you use sliders below 40% like many do to save on FPS you are eliminating WAY to many aircraft at your departure and arrival airport.    When you set your sliders really high (75-90%) you get all the traffic that is suppose to be at the airport.   TO will then look at your AI limit, look at what airports you want to keep traffic at and then it wipes out those 200+ other AI that you will never see.    Your FPS stabilizes after a few seconds of the planes getting deleted and wallah;  25+ FPS and smooth at even major airports like KLAX on my rig and I get tons of traffic, realistic delays because of congestion and having to wait on departing and arriving planes.   It does not fix the planes not spacing out properly on final approach so you get a lot of go arounds.  You need another app to handle better separation of aircraft on final.  I will find myself after I arrive just sitting at the gate and in outside view mode, using EZDOK to fly around the airport and look at the dozens and dozens of aircraft doing their thing

The view at KDEN before departure yesterday to KBNA was awesome.  100 AI aircraft limit was reached.  85 on the ground with 15 on approach... KDEN looked alive!   Even KBNA was hoping when I got there with 25 AC at the gates and 10 arriving over the next ten minutes.  <3

This sounds really cool. I'm going to give it a try. Is anyone using it with UT2 in P3D?

Thanks ... Richard

This sounds really cool. I'm going to give it a try. Is anyone using it with UT2 in P3D?

Thanks ... Richard

Works with UT2.   Same principal used when I used it.  Set the traffic levels high but trim them off with TO.  UT2 has a traffic trimming feature but TO's I think is superior because it targets specific airports rather than range from your plane.   That is not very helpful when you are at an airport like KMDW or KDAL and right next to it withint 6 miles is O'Hare and DFW!  @_@   I don't need 200 planes spawning at those airports.. I am not THERE!

I have TO networked and it automatically gets the airport ID from the flight plan.

Hi Maurice,

is there an installation guide how to set it up in a networked environment? I already run AS16 and ProATC from a networked PC so I have the networked Simconnect already running.

Thanks!

Carlo

I install and it worked. I have all the simconnect and widefs install. Go back to the TO thread you may find a answer. But TO also runs fine on the same rig. 

TO is a must have program on my flights and it works extremely well in P3D.    Once I understood how it works it allowed me to unlock a world I thought I'd never see in my flight sim universe... fully stocked airports without FPS going into the toilet.    This is how I set my flights up.

I'll get a flight plan filed from SimBrief and load the PLN file into the simulator.  Once I am in the cockpit SimStarterNG fires up TO automatically for me and it scans my flight plan and populates the Departure and Arrival airports into TO.   Be sure Preserve Traffic is on and Auto-Optimize set.  AI traffic limited to 100 planes.   I am good to go there.

My traffic slider is set to 75% Commercial traffic in P3D and my AI plane limit is set to 100 in TO.   When you use TO you can get away with really high slider values because TO is going to do magic.   When you use sliders below 40% like many do to save on FPS you are eliminating WAY to many aircraft at your departure and arrival airport.    When you set your sliders really high (75-90%) you get all the traffic that is suppose to be at the airport.   TO will then look at your AI limit, look at what airports you want to keep traffic at and then it wipes out those 200+ other AI that you will never see.    Your FPS stabilizes after a few seconds of the planes getting deleted and wallah;  25+ FPS and smooth at even major airports like KLAX on my rig and I get tons of traffic, realistic delays because of congestion and having to wait on departing and arriving planes.   It does not fix the planes not spacing out properly on final approach so you get a lot of go arounds.  You need another app to handle better separation of aircraft on final.  I will find myself after I arrive just sitting at the gate and in outside view mode, using EZDOK to fly around the airport and look at the dozens and dozens of aircraft doing their thing

The view at KDEN before departure yesterday to KBNA was awesome.  100 AI aircraft limit was reached.  85 on the ground with 15 on approach... KDEN looked alive!   Even KBNA was hoping when I got there with 25 AC at the gates and 10 arriving over the next ten minutes.  <3

I would like to add to the above that even before launching TO I first run AI CULL that eliminates non-pertinent traffic in the air, that does not fly between the 2 airports of interest (departure/arrival). Only after that I run TO that brings down the remaining AI number to 100. Might be redundant, but it does not hurt for sure, as I did not research how exactly TO cuts down the number of AI.

Dirk. 

I would like to add to the above that even before launching TO I first run AI CULL that eliminates non-pertinent traffic in the air, that does not fly between the 2 airports of interest (departure/arrival).

TO does that and only keeps the traffic in your area. I have seen it on a map that shows traffic.

Does this program also accommodate your alternate, or just your departure, enroute and arrival AI traffic? Keen to give it a try after purchasing Aerosoft's Mega Heathrow Xtended.Even with a low AI setting, this airport is really buzzing with AI. Great eye candy but tough on the system.