Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

GTN 650-750 update

Finally, waking up at 4 am this morning, I figured out this data base situation  In ProgramData/Garmin/GTNTrainerData/DB  there are 8 files after you install the latest GTN Trainer.  The one that causes the problems with short runways not in North America, is named 006-d0170-00.bin The file 006-d0170-30.bin  is the North America data which works fine in North America. You can switch between these two using the FS GTN Config program, but you lose the shorter runways in the worldwide version. 

Now if you have the data file from the last GTNTrainer which is  AVTN_WW_DB.bin    This is the data that contains the shorter runways for the world before Garmin eliminated them in the latest version. Now all you have to do, if you have this older data base ( I had it on a backup drive, but if you haven't installed the new Free  Trainer yet, make sure you copy this and store it somewhere. )  is copy this older DB into the DB folder for the current trainer. The next step is to back up the current Worldwide database in the new DB folder, by renaming it bkup006-d0170-00.bin (just in case) 

Now the last step, is to rename AVTN_WW_DB.bin to  006-d0170-00.bin.  So basically you have replaced the 006-d0170-00.bin with the AVTN_WW_DB.bin..... Data, so the GTN program can find it. You will get endless verifying if you don't rename AVTN_WW_DB.bin and you won't be able to start the GTN 650/750. 

Now all you have to do is go to the GTN config and select the data base you want, either North America which will be the  new data base that you got in the update ( 006-d0170.30.bin) or the one you just now made for Worldwide .  

Final check to see if you have this set up correctly.  Set world wide with your GTN Config, and then start the GTN and go to System Status / Data Base Info /Current Database in the GTN Menu, and you have selected worldwide, you should see World Wide 1504 effective 02-April-15. If you go to GTN config and switch to North America, then restart the GTN 650/750 and go to System Database current info it should say NorthAMR  1607  Effective 23-Jun-16

Hope this helps. 

Bob,

Do you use the latest Trainer v6.21.1 from http://www.flight1.com/link.asp?id=gtn? When I want to update the database, I see completely different files in DB folder. Am I missing something?:

3ptZr4W.jpg

Thanks!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

It has changed one more time.

Not clear if it is still compatible.. but the new ww file has the shorter runways included again!

Bert

Hi Bert,

One of my friends (Jiva) asked me to contact you regarding this database issue. Perhaps you can post a link for the database that includes the shorter runways?

Thank You,

Tommy

If you are running the latest GTN Trainer (6.21), the WW database already includes the shorter runways, and no change is required..

Bert

Ya, strange?? In the trainer I do have the shorter runways, but when using the GTN in the SIM, they are nonexistant. 

I have 6.6.1

(Thanks for the quick reply)

Tommy

You need to update your GTN gauge to work with the latest (6.21) Trainer version.

Bert

Fixed FSX!

Found another version of Trainer on a different drive. Deleted it, reinstalled GTN, all's good.

X-Plane 10, still have blank screen, but at least now it's in the sim.

Hi. with this new version 6.21.1,  do you know which db file can be used to update the GNS 430 database if any? I am not having much luck. I also cannot find the older version 6.01.1 anywhere online. Thanks for any help.

GTN 750 freezes on DB verifying. X-Plane 10

Freezes on verifying terrain and navigation.

Post in rxp support forum, here on avsim!

Bert

this thread has just given me a head ache,I have just purchased the GTN 750 and in truth know sod all about it,with the Xmas festivities have I hardly looked at this wondrous pce of equipment,I have become concerned from what I read here and because I fligh low and slow and mostly in Europe regarding the runway changes,are we saying that if I have SW 6.21.0 TRNG ,GPS v99.9 in the Garmin trainer  installed I still have the details of the runways below 4000 ft,in the main GTN750 hope you understand many thanks

Peter

Post in rxp support forum, here on avsim!

I did so after your suggestion, and was asked by RXP not to cross post. Just FYI.

I did so after your suggestion, and was asked by RXP not to cross post. Just FYI.

You were asked not to start a 2nd thread on the RXP forum about this, while you've already participated in a 1st thread dealing with the very same matter, in order to help support keep all related information at the same place.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I understand that now. I only reposted as requested by another user. I did not know I was doing wrong. My sincere apologies.

Tommy

There is no doing wrong and no need to apology for this in my opinion! These are just practical day to day guidelines for making the forum a practical communication tool, and I'd certainly never judge anyone about this. We all learn in doing and sharing, this is the essence of life, this is the essence of places like this one too!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)