Sign in to follow this  
jafferhussain11

GTN 750 3D panel integration ?

hello,

Reality XP has released a new GTN 750/650 and it works very well with the DC-6 out of the box (as a 2D pop up) , i was wondering if you guys (PMDG) could integrate this into DC-6 3D cockpit or if you could help the users do it themselves ? .

kind regards,

jaffer

i was wondering if you guys (PMDG) could integrate this into DC-6 3D cockpit

I don't believe that this is an option.

or if you could help the users do it themselves ?

Definitely not an option.

Kyle Rodgers

lol , okay :)

Sorry - to add a bit more detail:

Adding it into the model would require 3D work. I'm not sure we'd go back to modify the 3D model just to incorporate a single add on.

As it requires re-work on the 3D model, the latter option is definitely not going to happen, as I doubt most people would know how to do that on their own.

Kyle Rodgers

thanks for the info , i guess it would have been easier in FSX/P3D, in any case i am not sure how it is done , but you know its lots of fun though... flying it with the GTN :D

thanks for the info , i guess it would have been easier in FSX/P3D, in any case i am not sure how it is done , but you know its lots of fun though... flying it with the GTN :D

Who knows, some genius may figure it out someday  :p0126:

• Upvote 1

Surely one of the the main attractions of flying the DC-6, is to re-enact airliner flights of that era, which involved a lot of hands-on flying with little more than the VOR, ADF and ILS to aid with navigation and a rudimentary autopilot to help with the flying? There are plenty of modern airliners out there where you can enter the entire flight into the FMC on the ground and do little more than taxi out to the active and advance the throttles, but, being honest to the aircraft, that's not the way of the DC-6!

Bill

• Upvote 1

If you have the Reality XP GTN 650, you can program it to "shine through" the existing GNS 430 screen in the 3D cockpit. This does not require any 3D object modifications or changes to the aircraft itself. All controls are still done at the 2D window level.

73o9nqN.jpg?1

Cadmus Hawke

Cadmus Hawke

Surely one of the the main attractions of flying the DC-6, is to re-enact airliner flights of that era, which involved a lot of hands-on flying with little more than the VOR, ADF and ILS to aid with navigation and a rudimentary autopilot to help with the flying? There are plenty of modern airliners out there where you can enter the entire flight into the FMC on the ground and do little more than taxi out to the active and advance the throttles, but, being honest to the aircraft, that's not the way of the DC-6!

Bill

Oh yes, in fact I'd be happier if PMDG brought out a version without that modern mumbo jumbo, just let me use the equipment on the center pedestal =)

edit: or a second com/nav set instead of that monstrous GPS...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

- Stefan Dittrich

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

Where are you going to fit a GTN750 on that panel without serious rearranging of the instruments?

I agree, flying an old beast like the DC-6 or Connie, one should really make the most out of that old equipment to experience it.  

I was flying NDB SIDs, STARs and IAPs in and out of Tivat LYTV last night in the A2A Cherokee with the GTN left on some useless page, flying purely by 'old skool' navigation...it was awesome!   NDBs, Timers, and 'guestimated' wind corrections....Heads Fall - Tails Rise!  Yeehaa!

Huge TV screen GPS units like the 750 are distracting and spoil a beautiful vintage cockpit IMHO.  If you owned a vintage Corvette, would you carve up that beautiful old dash to stick some huge automotive GPS/radio unit?  No, however you might find some more suitable sized unit that would be much less obtrusive.  I do understand people like to fly it in today's airspace.  I do too.  Perhaps keep the GPS option limited to the smaller units such as the F1/RXP GNS430 or GTN650.  They can easily fit into the existing space without requiring huge modelling changes, while giving the DC-6 RNAV approach capability.   This option works very well with the A2A Connie.  Most vintage planes that are still flying today, like the DC-6, have a small KLN, GNS, or GTN unit tucked away somewhere, especially if the plane is still flying for hire.

Just have it be an option so everyone will be happy.

Cheers

TJ 

I managed to swap out the RealityXP GNS430 in the place of the default one.  It was super-easy, no 3D modeling changes, and the newest RXP version will use the existing 3D buttons and map them to the plugin GPS.  You just remove the 430 screen in planemaker and add the RXP version in the .ini file.

I think it's a good compromise between maintaining the cockpit look and having a fully functioning GNS unit.

Evan Purcell

15 minutes ago, Chris733 said:

Is it possible to merege with RXP GNS430 ??

The FSX/P3D version will have an option for our basic one, the RXP one, and a couple others, I think (drawing a blank on them at the moment).

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers