Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

VAS OOM at only 92336?

I was just doing some random testing.. i've had this happen twice now, in two different regions.

Im on 3.4.9 + win 10 x64..

Testing in the NYCX area in a simple p92 aircraft.. loaded the flight and began.. 30 seconds later.. "your computer has run out of available memory"

I look at the title bar at this point, i see the IPC:024C s32 shows 93,360.. how can this be possible?

Does it run out of memory then report back a different number after the OOM occurs.. in other words, does it suddenly reduce once that box appears?  i would have expected a value close to 4GB but now this has happened twice.

I'm using an LOD of 4.5-5.5 nothing fancy here either.

Any thoughts as to how this is occuring?

(I also limited the scenery loaded to this region)

I do have a wealth of DLL.xml entries ranging from FTX dlls to RAAS to others (FSDT, coautl, ut2, passengers p3d etc).

Thanks in advance

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The nummer in the titlebar reflects the remaining virtual adres space, so you should encounter an error once it gets as low as you report! What was your VAS when you started your flight?

The nummer in the titlebar reflects the remaining virtual adres space, so you should encounter an error once it gets as low as you report! What was your VAS when you started your flight?

Oops forgot that, it was only around 1.3g to start

I am not an expert on the subject, but 1.3g is pretty low to start with. When you go flying over some complex (or badly designed) scenery that number will sink rapidly.

That was your memory available at the time of the crash.  The simulator tried to make call to load more things into VAS but exceed the 96megs you had left thus CRASH.

I look at the title bar at this point, i see the IPC:024C s32 shows 93,360.. how can this be possible?

That offset shows free memory in kilobytes, so that is only 93 Mb! That is very low. FSUIPC gives it's beep warnings, unless you switch them off, when it gets below 250 Mb. You should be getting pretty worried much past that!

Pete

Yeah thanks guys i forgot it was free.. either way not that great.. (i didnt have the sound on when i was testing to hear the beep)

I tried some tests in the NYC(x) region (saved flight mid air near KGLA).. finding on average only 900MB free (scattered fair clouds).. if i kill the dll.xml for the most part i can get it up to 1.1GB (maybe frees up 200MB), turn off UTX autogen lighting maybe another 150mb saved.. I have a good bit of scenery enabled.. but i'm guessing NYCX is just a hog.. ill have to compare with other regions to see.

Running GEX + UTX + REX +ut2 (70/30) (4096 ground textures only) + AS16 clouds (ASCA) but 2048 for textures in the sim (lod 5.5 currently) with pretty high settings (in signature).

EDIT:  

PGH:   tried loading the same plane in a different (minimal) region (pgh, pa) with minimal scenery.. i'm seeing 1.5GB free here (full dll/utx).

Chicago:  Another test same p92 but with aerosoft chicago (3 thicker cloud layers + rain, saved flight on approach to meigs) .. around 1.3 GB to start (full dll/utx etc).

Chicago2:  This time same settings, mid flight save loaded, but with the PMDG 737-800 House Winglets, starting value free is 915MB

(for the chicago, i have newport photo scenery active in the regions around the main addons)

Chicago3: on runway at flytampa midway (mixed with aerosoft chicagox + photo areas around the city) in PMDG start with 966MB (after going into the menu it dropped to 730MB)

**If i take off and fly a set heading at 9000 feet for about 30 minutes it drops to 476mb and holds so far

UT2 with 70/30 results in 130 planes loaded around chicago.  UT2 is probably not helping matters.

What value do most shoot for as a starting point?  This is the first time I've ever really started checking on this, at least in some time, given i've had quite a few of these oom's vas errors already.  I'd imagine with the PMDG i'd probably be hosed pretty fast.

The numbers look quite normal for me. You could try again with LOD 4.5 and texture max load 1024 (both default), and use a clean dll.xml and exe.xml with no other addons running. Autogen sliders to normal. And also try an other aircraft, as somehow it could be that certain aircrafts use more VAS in 3.4 than before in other versions.

The numbers look quite normal for me. You could try again with LOD 4.5 and texture max load 1024 (both default), and use a clean dll.xml and exe.xml with no other addons running. Autogen sliders to normal. And also try an other aircraft, as somehow it could be that certain aircrafts use more VAS in 3.4 than before in other versions.

I have vegetation autogen at dense.. i may try lowering that as well to see if helps, maybe the LOD 4.5.. though in flyinsidefsx for oculus.. its at 3.5 and you lose VAS much quicker in the goggles.  (I lose vas quicker in VR, ie: (2D 5.5 750mb free, VR 629MB lod 4.5 to start at the chicago PMDG test at midway with chicagox + flytampa + photo)

How do most people with a ton of addons work things?  Do you break down scenery.cfg's based on individual flights (tedious?).. like say flying chicago to philly.. just enable addons in those regions?

The way i have things, i have eastern USA + Canada when over this way.. or Western USA + canada when FTX or out west.. or all of north and south america if going on longer flights or for quicker access to scenarios...

Seems a tad tedious to break it down any further.. i have lots of groups though, thanks to sceneryconfigeditor..  not 100% positive that eliminating addons (unchecking) will really save "that" much vas to begin with.

"Running GEX + UTX + REX +ut2 (70/30) (4096 ground textures only) + AS16 clouds (ASCA) but 2048 for textures in the sim (lod 5.5 currently) with pretty high settings (in signature ). "

Turn AI traffic down --> Rob's guide advises 10

Textures 4096 --> go back to 1024

ASCA --> try 1024 32 bit or 1024 DXT

Try this for a startingpoint. You will a way higher free VAS.

• Upvote 1

"Running GEX + UTX + REX +ut2 (70/30) (4096 ground textures only) + AS16 clouds (ASCA) but 2048 for textures in the sim (lod 5.5 currently) with pretty high settings (in signature ). "

Turn AI traffic down --> Rob's guide advises 10

Textures 4096 --> go back to 1024

ASCA --> try 1024 32 bit or 1024 DXT

Try this for a startingpoint. You will a way higher free VAS.

When you say AI at 10, meaning 10% for GA/Airlines? That seems awfully low.. ie: i'd bet big airports may only show 10 planes around the whole area max.. or is that what you meant, shoot for 10 total loaded planes.. (ill have to take a look at his guide).  By 70/30 i was referring to the UT2 tool's setting, not in P3d, in p3d they are at 0

Sorta bummed to lower textures.. was hoping 2048 would at least be doable.. past versions of p3d, i dont recall hitting memory errors this fast though (and i had at least 2048 set)..

In ASCA i have it set to DX1 pretty sure (and same in Rex texture direct for ground textures/water).. i may have clouds at 4096 though in asca..

Does it really matter what ASCA/REX textures are set to, so long as the sim is at 2048 or 1024.. i always thought this made no difference, just set the sim down some to compensate?

Setting UT2 AI weekly schedules to 10% is going to turn your large international airports into ghost towns. Is that really what virtual airline pilots enjoy seeing these days? :huh:

Setting UT2 AI weekly schedules to 10% is going to turn your large international airports into ghost towns. Is that really what virtual airline pilots enjoy seeing these days? :huh:

Yeah thats what i was getting at.. 70%/30% with 50-100 depending on which airport seemed a bit exciting as i'm starting to check out the airline aspect of p3d which i hadnt before.

I'm assuming my craft count is about right or not lacking actually.  At the gate in chicago i might see about 10 aircraft sitting/moving, with the occasional one coming in (still pretty scarce).. i did spot a higher flying jet when i was in the air in the 737 with the goggles on, saw the contrail then the jet and that was rather cool.

There has to be other ways to free up the VAS..

i did notice that with the situation paused at chicago and the pmdg 737-800 loaded.. i'm at 1.02 - 1.06 gb free.. after i unpause, ut2 loads the AI, systems initialize.. it drops to maybe 800MB.  Ill OOM in about 20 minutes as i approach another airport easily though.

10% AI airlines + GA

Clouds in ASCA to 1024 DXT

Textures in P3D at 1024

Clouds 2048 are 4X the size of the default 1024 clouds.

Clouds 4096 are 16x the size of 1024 clouds...

What do you think about VAS usage then.

Also 50 cm/p photoscenery as large area will cost a lot of free VAS ..

Add HD textures to aircraft and airports and free VAS will drop..

10% AI airlines + GA

Clouds in ASCA to 1024 DXT

Textures in P3D at 1024

Clouds 2048 are 4X the size of the default 1024 clouds.

Clouds 4096 are 16x the size of 1024 clouds...

What do you think about VAS usage then.

Also 50 cm/p photoscenery as large area will cost a lot of free VAS ..

Add HD textures to aircraft and airports and free VAS will drop..

Ok,

For a starting test, i lowered ASCA to 1024 DX1 textures.. set the sim to 1024.. loaded it up.. SAME Vas unfortunately.. around 1.04GB free

Ill have to try turning off newport photoscenery (2m/pixel density is what its listed at) and see how this changes... but it doesnt look like changing cloud textures helped (i also flushed the shader cache to be safe), unless maybe it helps in the longer haul, but as far as initial free vas, not so much in my case.

EDIT: disabling photoscenery in the chicago area caused free VAS to DROP to 960MB for some reason (i guess more autogen).. i do have many other addons enabled (from mid usa to east coast usa plus some of canada, various addons), could be too many of these, but what a pain if disabling all but the flight path is needed (there needs to be a way to say, create a flight plan and have scenery auto turn on/off based on that path, by auto enabling/disabling in scenery.cfg pre-start of the flight i'd say, shame it doesnt exist).

EDIT: disabling ALL addon scenery (including ftx areas and UTX) results in a free VAS with 1024 textures + UT2 of 1.6GB, so gain 550MB by turning off every single addon (and load time of 40 secs).. not a huge gain but shows the difference (paused frame rate from 32 to 50)

EDIT: disabling all addons and turning on the chicago/illinois area addons results in free VAS at 1.10.. so one of these addons is pulling it down the most, that coupled with maybe ut2 or xpoi or various dll.xml plugins 

(for illinois i have FSDT ohareX, flytampa midway (the airport in testing), uscitiesx chicago, newport chicago photo.)

Uncheck all your adfon scenery in the library and take a look at the free VAS.

Did you load another theme in ASCA so the 1024 textures have been loaded into the sim.

Uncheck all your adfon scenery in the library and take a look at the free VAS.

Did you load another theme in ASCA so the 1024 textures have been loaded into the sim.

yeah i tried that.. i did reload the theme.. i had updated the post above with this :

EDIT: disabling ALL addon scenery (including ftx areas and UTX) results in a free VAS with 1024 textures + UT2 of 1.6GB (1.4-1.6 actually), so gain 550MB by turning off every single addon (and load time of 40 secs).. not a huge gain but shows the difference (paused frame rate from 32 to 50)

EDIT: disabling all addons and turning on the chicago/illinois area addons results in free VAS at 1.10.. so one of these addons is pulling it down the most, that coupled with maybe ut2 or xpoi or various dll.xml plugins 

(for illinois i have FSDT ohareX, flytampa midway (the airport in testing), uscitiesx chicago, newport chicago photo.)

So basically chicago/illinois areas enabled results in free vas of around 1.08GB while the rest is disabled.. vs enabling all of the east coast plus canada results in free vas of 1.04 (not much change from the starting point of midway at least).. with just chicago / illnois enabled, going to any other airport in a small bonanza for instance, shows 1.86GB free.

I guess what would be helpful is knowing what a good "starting" free VAS would be, either with no addons running (and maybe a default airplane).. i'm guessing its in the 2GB range, unsure? (since i have many plugins running via exe.xml and dll.xml which maybe give back 300-400MB if turned off).

That said, unsure for at least a 1-2 hour PMDG NGX flight, what one would consider a good free starting vas at an elaborate addon, flying to another elaborate addon might be?  I'm guessing a target of 1.2GB to start, hoping to end at 500MB or more.

edit: i realized i had left vector running throughout these tests.. i think its a big consumer of vas and may need to be trimmed.

UPDATE: unchecking vector entries didnt help 

If you can manage 1.0+ gigs after fully loaded in, doing full cockpit checks, taxi out and line up on the runway you will be good to go in almost every single situation at the destination airport.   If you are sitting on the departure runway with less than a gig you are taking your chances.   If you are under 800megs (like me) then you are almost guaranteed to OOM crash when you arrive at your destination airport.

My problem is the bleeds.   Even with 1k everything (1k settings, 1k textures for clouds, 1k texture for airports) I spawn in typically with only about 800-900megs left.. but by the time I push and start, taxi out and I am lined up I have bled down to between 500-600 megs remaining.  That is death for a fully loaded flight.

The last version of P3D I used (3.2) generally saw me above the 1 gig mark with all my add-ons running.   Typically it was about 1.2gigs free.  By the time I hit the runway of the arrival airport I would have about 500 megs remaining which is great!   That's all I ask for.   Can't seem to get it anymore out of this 3.4.9 version.    I am getting nothing but headaches and heartbreaks using the exact same add-ons I used in v3.2.     But... I am told it's my settings again and again.   It couldn't possibly be anything that was done to the code in P3D and how it now interacts with 3rd party products!  NOOooooOOO!  It's gotta be my add-ons and my settings!   Can't be anything else.    That's what they tell me anyway.  Non-sense is what I say.

I am kicking myself for having deleted my 3.2 installers when I started up simming again a month ago after taking an almost year long break.   I was like.. OOO!  New version!  Must be improved big time!    So I wiped my installer directory and eagerly downloaded 3.4.9.   Was very happy with the improvements in FPS and Smoothness.   Extremely not happy with the VAS management system.    We took two steps forward, 3 steps back.    All that fancy FPS and smoothness doesn't mean anything at the end of the day if you can't go from Point A to Point B without crashing or being forced to save your flight just prior to arriving at your destination airport and rebooting the sim.   "Use default scenery" is not an option.   I have probably close to 3 grand invested in base software and add-ons.   I'd like to be able to use them whenever I want.   I turn off what I don't need for a flight (the Tedious way as you call it).   Even still... 60% of my flights have ended in OOM disaster thus far since I started flying again.   I was doing a 90% completion rate prior.. and that's with flying from coast to coast in one session in the United States.

Here's to hoping 3.5.x makes my life a happy place in the skies again.

If you can manage 1.0+ gigs after fully loaded in, doing full cockpit checks, taxi out and line up on the runway you will be good to go in almost every single situation at the destination airport.   If you are sitting on the departure runway with less than a gig you are taking your chances.   If you are under 800megs (like me) then you are almost guaranteed to OOM crash when you arrive at your destination airport.

My problem is the bleeds.   Even with 1k everything (1k settings, 1k textures for clouds, 1k texture for airports) I spawn in typically with only about 800-900megs left.. but by the time I push and start, taxi out and I am lined up I have bled down to between 500-600 megs remaining.  That is death for a fully loaded flight.

The last version of P3D I used (3.2) generally saw me above the 1 gig mark with all my add-ons running.   Typically it was about 1.2gigs free.  By the time I hit the runway of the arrival airport I would have about 500 megs remaining which is great!   That's all I ask for.   Can't seem to get it anymore out of this 3.4.9 version.    I am getting nothing but headaches and heartbreaks using the exact same add-ons I used in v3.2.     But... I am told it's my settings again and again.   It couldn't possibly be anything that was done to the code in P3D and how it now interacts with 3rd party products!  NOOooooOOO!  It's gotta be my add-ons and my settings!   Can't be anything else.    That's what they tell me anyway.  Non-sense is what I say.

I agree, everything i'm reading and discovering here seems to say that settings arent making much difference.

Something is clearly different with 3.4.9 in a bad vas way and its been talked about on here, i just had no idea it was quite this bad.. no desire to roll back, hoping on a hot fix i guess or the next revision.

Right now with just Eastern USA, as i mentioned, in the 737 pmdg.. after unpausing i go from 1.04gb free to 825mb with everything.. i tried setting ut2 to disabled in the exe.xml.. i ended up with LESS free VAS on paused startup, around 990MB, then 825 after unpausing.. a bit crazy there.

Lowering LOD to 4.5 from 5.5 resulted in 1.12GB paused and 895MB unpaused, so gained about 75MB i guess

FTX Vector is a known VAS hitter.

Only if every feature is enabled, be selective about what you enable and it's fine. certainly no worse than another vector coastline product.

i tried setting ut2 to disabled in the exe.xml.. i ended up with LESS free VAS on paused startup, around 990MB, then 825 after unpausing.. a bit crazy there.

Lowering LOD to 4.5 from 5.5 resulted in 1.12GB paused and 895MB unpaused, so gained about 75MB i guess

Same.   I run AI traffic at 75% but I cull it to 100 planes max active at any time.   My AI take up about 50 megs of VAS when done.   That's MINOR and greatly enhances the immersion at airports.    I thought my AI might be causing the bleed so I turned off traffic and disabled the Simbobject directory the AI traffic is in... NOPE.  Still bled to death.

I fly with load 4.5 when flying with Autogen and 5.5 when flying photoreal since Autogen is disabled.    It saves you a little as you noticed.   75 megs when you get tot he wire I guess isn't that little.  It can make or break your flight.

Same.   I run AI traffic at 75% but I cull it to 100 planes max active at any time.   My AI take up about 50 megs of VAS when done.   That's MINOR and greatly enhances the immersion at airports.    I thought my AI might be causing the bleed so I turned off traffic and disabled the Simbobject directory the AI traffic is in... NOPE.  Still bled to death.

I fly with load 4.5 when flying with Autogen and 5.5 when flying photoreal since Autogen is disabled.    It saves you a little as you noticed.   75 megs when you get tot he wire I guess isn't that little.  It can make or break your flight.

Yeah i think 100 seems to be the sweet spot.. only about a 4fps hit in my goggles or in 2D for UT2..

I had a saved flight with the 737 above canada just west of Toronto.. I load it up, see 1.2GB free paused then unpause just a tad above 1GB.. thinking great.

As she flies in a direct heading eastward above Toronto.. boom, right about there, 10 minutes in, OOM.

just strange that nothing get says about vas and ooms  on lm's forrum, wonder if they read these forums, surelly they must know about this s........

there is a oom vas saga topic on lm's forum, wonder if it will get deleted.

just strange that nothing get says about vas and ooms  on lm's forrum, wonder if they read these forums, surelly they must know about this s........

there is a oom vas saga topic on lm's forum, wonder if it will get deleted.

There are quite a few vas topics over there, like the optimize parts one by Rob (also here on this forum).. but changing this value wont work in my case, flyinsidefsx requires it be at its default, plus losing fps in the goggles is not really ideal.

Another test, this time same mid flight save of the 737 again, west of toronto.. I disabled the xml files.. vas at start is 1.3GB after unpausing (so i gained about 280MB by doing this).. after about 7 minutes the plane is NE of toronto and there is 368MB left, no crash yet, but this would probably be not enough to land.  by 19 minutes in.. it actually went up.. 751mb free as of this moment.