Sign in to follow this  
sizziano

FF 757 v 2.0

Also you can get PBR reflections too without the devs doing it. This is why many people disagree with the price as do I.

This part needs to be cleared up, before too many people start speculating about what exactly goes into PBR textures for X-Plane 11.  

The PBR "look" of XP10 add ons, within XP11, will NOT be true PBR.  XP10 textures consist of 4 texture maps that make up 2 X-Plane textures.  Albedo, Occlusion, Specular and Normal.  Albedo (Color) and Occlusion are combined in Photoshop to make a final diffuse map, while Specular and Normal are also combined to make 1 normal map with alpha channels to determine shine or lack of shine.  PBR textures comprise of Albedo, Occlusion, Roughness, Normal and Metalness, and will be a far more accurate representation of lighting, shine, smoothness, etc...  Still 2 maps, but the roughness, metalness and normal maps are now combined to make 1 normal map.

It's perfectly fine if you choose NOT to get any PBR upgrades for current X-Plane add ons, but when you do a side by side comparison, the differences will be quite noticeable.

• Upvote 3

One thing that a lot of people seem to be missing is that this includes free updates for the life of XP11 and will take advantage of new features. People paid $135 for the PMDG 777 in P3D, which was essentially the same aircraft as the FSX version. Compared to that, $45 isn't that bad considering it's been completely redone and we get free updates for the next version of our simulator (although I wouldn't have complained had the upgrade cost been in the $20-$25 range).

what support did we get in the first cycle? They always sell it like we see a plane being developed.  We got some patches after launch that fixed bugs and that was pretty much it. The last bugfix was march 2015, well october 2015 to keep it compatible for 10.4.  That was over an year ago. They don't provide anything out of the ordinary during the lifecycle.  All other companies do this for free.  FlyJsim redid their complete 727 and he felt bad that he charged 15$ for it. 

I payed  65$ for this plane, now i can pay 45$ for it again. Flightfactor already said they will release the extended editon soon and we have to pay for it again. For sake of the argument lets say 20$.  Then i have to double pay the liveries.   I am easily at 150$ for a plane.  PMDG will release their T7 / 747 / 737 or whatever their next plane is for x-plane in a similar price structure as their other entertainment licenses (read FSX prices).  I just see this as a way to guage how far you can push the wallet of people.

I mean its their right to charge what they want, hell people justify any price to convince themselves that they don't overpaid themselves. But this sure as hell is no great deal and lifetime support is something special.  Reality is that they will make a patch for x11 for pbr, get it somewhat stable and then focus on redoing the t7 where they will spent their forseeable future on.

• Upvote 2

A quick read of this review,shows what the differences are from a modelling point of view.

http://xplanereviews.com/index.php?/forums/topic/525-aircraft-release-review-boeing-757-200-v2-by-flightfactor-vmax/

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

This part needs to be cleared up, before too many people start speculating about what exactly goes into PBR textures for X-Plane 11.

The PBR "look" of XP10 add ons, within XP11, will NOT be true PBR. XP10 textures consist of 4 texture maps that make up 2 X-Plane textures. Albedo, Occlusion, Specular and Normal. Albedo (Color) and Occlusion are combined in Photoshop to make a final diffuse map, while Specular and Normal are also combined to make 1 normal map with alpha channels to determine shine or lack of shine. PBR textures comprise of Albedo, Occlusion, Roughness, Normal and Metalness, and will be a far more accurate representation of lighting, shine, smoothness, etc... Still 2 maps, but the roughness, metalness and normal maps are now combined to make 1 normal map.

It's perfectly fine if you choose NOT to get any PBR upgrades for current X-Plane add ons, but when you do a side by side comparison, the differences will be quite noticeable.

I see your stance but I disagree with you completely. The fact that someone has already released a form of dynamic reflections for free makes me want to wait for modders to do their magic before paying for something that already works fine.

I see your stance but I disagree with you completely. The fact that someone has already released a form of dynamic reflections for free makes me want to wait for modders to do their magic before paying for something that already works fine.

You disagree with me completely on how PBR works vs a reflection plug with traditional XP10 textures compared to XP11 textures??

Ok, without getting into it too much, I'll just leave it there.

• Upvote 3

You disagree with me completely on how PBR works vs a reflection plug with traditional XP10 textures compared to XP11 textures??

Ok, without getting into it too much, I'll just leave it there.

Just show the recent pictures of the engine you posted on FB. If someone doesnt see the difference there then i dont know :D

• Upvote 1

Just show the recent pictures of the engine you posted on FB. If someone doesnt see the difference there then i dont know :D

Normally, I would.  But when someone opens with..."I see your stance but I disagree with you completely. ", instead of "Could you please elaborate on what you said?", then I just shrug and move on.  If he thinks he knows more than me about PBR, so be it.  

It's really no skin off my nose.

But I do appreciate your comment and compliment.

• Upvote 2

Some of you people who complain about prices on everything...are something else. Its a wonder these developers survive.  The original FF757 is years old. This is a major upgrade with a lot of work involved. With the discount coupon you only pay $40.

I purchased it today and its brilliant!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Despite being an "Airbus guy", I have always had a softspot for the 757.  With the other sims, the 757 is outdated and not really concentrated on.  Here though, I like how it's being promoted and used enough that the developer is keeping up with it.  I have yet to purchase a payware aircraft for XP, so maybe this will be the one.  I'd love to read some unbiased reviews and assessments of the FF 757 and judge whether it'll be an aircraft I want.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I never received my discount coupon even though I get the .org sales ads several times a week. Must be a selective offering!

But that's okay, I plan to continue flying my XP-10 (even though I have purchased XP-11) and I have what I paid for.  I understand the cost of development and that things get better as more effort is applied.  I hope you guys find it worth the extra money invested and can appreciate the differences. For me, the FF 757 v1 has always received accolades as being the best of their offerings until the 767, and I still find it enjoyable.  If I were a real 757 pilot, I might see it differently.

John

John Wingold

Some of you people who complain about prices on everything...are something else. Its a wonder these developers survive.  The original FF757 is years old. This is a major upgrade with a lot of work involved. With the discount coupon you only pay $40.

I purchased it today and its brilliant!

How's the gap between the flaps in version 2? More true to the real aircraft or still looking silly...

• Upvote 2

Torfi

I never received my discount coupon even though I get the .org sales ads several times a week. Must be a selective offering!

But that's okay, I plan to continue flying my XP-10 (even though I have purchased XP-11) and I have what I paid for.  I understand the cost of development and that things get better as more effort is applied.  I hope you guys find it worth the extra money invested and can appreciate the differences. For me, the FF 757 v1 has always received accolades as being the best of their offerings until the 767, and I still find it enjoyable.  If I were a real 757 pilot, I might see it differently.

John

You have to login into your X-Plane.org store account and view your previous 757 purchase. You will find the discount coupon there.

How's the gap between the flaps in version 2? More true to the real aircraft or still looking silly...

Not sure what you are talking about. For me this 757v2 feels like a whole new bird compared to V1. Its absolutely worth the $40. 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Just bought it and have severely mixed feelings. So many gimmicks that come off, well, as gimmicky. I'm thinking of the oxygen mask with the hose that dangles, unconnected. Or the coffee cup that's out of scale. There are typos, not just in the documentation, but on the overhead panel text--e.g. "anti **colission** lights.

OTOH, the FMC seems solid, perhaps best-in-breed. VNAV works well. Sounds are nice.

Flight model is the big question. Others have already mentioned the RR thrust numbers when fully configured for landing are too high. In my own flying, I see what appears (to my amateur eyes) to be massive amounts of roll-coupling, such that keeping a wings-level crab and de-crab is well-nigh impossible.

Just to set expectations, I've extensive time in the IXEG, as well as a lone, single hour in a Level-D 767 (not 757), years ago. And whatever BS small hours I have in small planes. So I know just enough to be dangerous--and stoopid.

That said, my simmer's seat-of-pants raises suspicions. So does seeing how extensively Jan Vogel's RW experience shaped the the IXEG--and how different that is from this. In addition, knowing how far Boeing goes to maintain a "house feel" when it comes to flying characteristics, I'm left seriously questioning whether the real 757 could be as odd-feeling and divergent as the FF one is from "known-good-flying" other XP Boeings.

I'd love to hear from RW 757 pilots on this. I will run the plane past a RW 767 and 777 skipper and see how he feels. Should be interesting.

Barring that, my first impression is the plane's not much fun to hand-fly.

Best,

Marshall

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that Marshall. It helps keep my wallet lid sealed for a bit longer. I'm following you around the world, currently inbound to Port Moresby. I have a burning desire to buy something, but nothing is out yet that I want or can afford!

Will you be doing a vid? Enquiring minds need to know!!

Jim