Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

I Want to Kick FSX in the Teeth

Me too, but that changed when I moved to P3D. I spend so much more time flying.

Aff.

spacer.png

Never had a problem with FSX. Runs fine.

Well, it wasn't a flaw in FSX.

It was a flaw in my thinking. I was always looking for the "holy grail" addon or tweak that would give me decent AA,  30fps, and near-max autogen, simultaneously. It just wasn't going to happen. And it drove me nuts.

Now I don't even think about that stuff. I set up my sim with help from Rob's ingenious guide, and boom, I was flying happy.

Nah.... Get IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad and finally learn to fly in a PC sim :-)

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Is this thread about boxed FSX or FSX:SE or both?

I may be upgrading this month (from my Q6600 - woohoo!) and I have a decision to make about which version of FSX to run with. I don't fancy P3D for the moment.

I prefer Rise of Flight. I want to hear and feel the wind in my hair. :P

Yeah!  That one too!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The Peter principle of FSX, keep adding until it all gos for poop. Took a few hard lessons to stop that.

I no longer happily apply all updates for Windows or Nvidea.  VERY selective. Just leave me alone already.

Nah.... Get IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad and finally learn to fly in a PC sim :-)

I prefer Rise of Flight. I want to hear and feel the wind in my hair. :P

Falcon BMS is where the sim-party's at!

I may be upgrading this month (from my Q6600 - woohoo!) and I have a decision to make about which version of FSX to run with. I don't fancy P3D for the moment.

FSXSE with the DirectX 10 Fixer.

• Upvote 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Is this thread about boxed FSX or FSX:SE or both?

Get FSX:SE. I had the boxed edition before upgrading and SE just seems a little smoother. None of the potential problems registering it and less OOMs, apparently. Don't get it for the "massive improvements in FPS" some people rave about or you'll be disappointed. As a fresh install it really zips along (just like the boxed edition) but once you start adding scenery, aircraft and weather apps I would say that it's only slightly faster than the boxed edition.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Get FSX:SE. I had the boxed edition before upgrading and SE just seems a little smoother. None of the potential problems registering it and less OOMs, apparently. Don't get it for the "massive improvements in FPS" some people rave about or you'll be disappointed. As a fresh install it really zips along (just like the boxed edition) but once you start adding scenery, aircraft and weather apps I would say that it's only slightly faster than the boxed edition.

Thanks. Slightly faster on the FSX end will do because I'll be combining with a new system that takes my processor from 2.4Ghz to 4.0Ghz, more and faster RAM, etc. 

I have FSX-SE and yes, it is smoother. I also think they've done something to the shaders, because, unless it's me, but the weather and visibility factor just seem to be more realistic somehow. As for DX10, I've given up. I tried Steve's fixer four times now, and in FSX the same amount of times! I gave up with not being able to sort out antialiasing, even after following instructions to the letter (?.) I also found it a little tiring not being able to use a second monitor to drag my panels across. I could drag them across, but as soon as I started to try and resize them, the whole thing went reels of cotton! The screen would freeze and the timer would appear, flickering away like a demented Trump supporter!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I'd like to say I keep things simple, but I have quite an extensive system and complex, and it works very well .... I did have a year of stability. Luckily I am now sorted! The Orbx updates to FTX Central and this migration thing got me nervous, but now that's sorted and I think I am ready for another year or two of stability....

I'd like to say I keep things simple,

That is the key. I'm surprised that so many of us actually get FSX to work at all with so many addons working in unison with each other! So yes, you're right, keep it simple. But that's a lot easier said than done  :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Wish I had stuck with FSX. I installed FSX-SE a couple of months ago and have had nothing but issues.

Howard