Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bobsk8

Here we go again.

Microsoft didn't care about the 100+ millions they cashed in from FSX sales... 

Let us not forget the emergence of DTG.  I don't know what their numbers are for Flight School, but recent postings from DTG about the alleged 64-bit simulator being delayed due to addressing concerns from the FS community, well it all remains to be seen.  It almost feels like they are taking a serious gamble with their own 64-bit sim, considering that they bought a piece of the FSX pie to continue with FSX:SE and then DTG:FS.  They've taken their pound of flesh from me, in the form of TS2016/2017 and I have to say it is a decent sim, but there are always issues with it and if you were to get a consensus about how users feel about their customer service and addressing customer concerns, well let's just say that I hope the flight simulator department doesn't follow the same mantra. 

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It is a tiny and fragmented market, so good luck to DTG! The proof will be in the pudding. Will it be another Toyota, or will we finally be able to get a Ferrari? 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

simmerhead, on 30 Nov 2016 - 4:31 PM, said:

Will it be another Toyota, or will we finally be able to get a Ferrari?

Depends which criteria we are using. For sure an exciting time for us all, but it would be nice if we had a differnt rendering engine and 64 bit. XP offers both but there are reasons I'm choosing not to go down that road - at least yet.

They've taken their pound of flesh from me, in the form of TS2016/2017 and I have to say it is a decent sim, but there are always issues with it and if you were to get a consensus about how users feel about their customer service and addressing customer concerns, well let's just say that I hope the flight simulator department doesn't follow the same mantra.

They have taken a few bob off me too (DTG). But not anymore. Since the release of the 64bit Run 8 V2, they no longer hold the trophy.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Rog Stryx Z790-A,  Intel i9-14900KF,  Asus ROG Ryujin III 360 , Asus Hyperion Case,Rog Stryx 4090 OC, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD,64Gb G Skill Memory, Asus Aura 1200W Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG C4 48" 4K OLED Screen., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

They have taken a few bob off me too (DTG). But not anymore. Since the release of the 64bit Run 8 V2, they no longer hold the trophy.

Great - after all the money that I've put into DTG's train sim.  I'll have to check out Run 8 though.  Do they have a demo?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Great - after all the money that I've put into DTG's train sim.  I'll have to check out Run 8 though.  Do they have a demo?

No they don't Rick. But the graphics, UI and now AI which can be dispatched by the user is a major plus in this new sim. Seligman and Bakersfield Sub are soon to be released.

Also the Needles Sub now comes with the new addon. A-Line sub is also a must have addition. As a real life Loco Engineer, this is a very realistic sim.

And being 64 bit now, you can have AI running in huge numbers if you wish :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Rog Stryx Z790-A,  Intel i9-14900KF,  Asus ROG Ryujin III 360 , Asus Hyperion Case,Rog Stryx 4090 OC, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD,64Gb G Skill Memory, Asus Aura 1200W Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG C4 48" 4K OLED Screen., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I'll take a look - thanks!

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

I'll take a look - thanks!

This is the  go to web site for more info http://www.thedepotserver.com/

I dont need a whole new world or 64 bit, I just need VAS back to what it was in 3.3

But Windows 64bit still can work with 32bit programs, why is it not possible to P3D do the same with the addons? Is a real time converter impossible? I don't think so.

A DLL compiled for 32bit target can not and will not load into a 64bit executable ... dynamic or otherwise ... see here.  32bit process can exchange data with a 64bit process via IPC, but exchange of data is entire different than execution of code ... see here.

Cheers, Rob.

It has always been crystal clear to me that LM wouldn't watch XP improving leaving  P3D in agony. This way we'll end up with quite improved XP11 and P3D4, or whatever it will be called. Not the worst situation isn't it? 

Thanks for sharing, Michael

Exactly! I like this situation...

It can be done, for a price

Did you read what they actually do?

It would be easier and "free" just to recompile one's existing source into 64bit target ... but going thru a COM (IPC for data exchange) is going to turn 30 FPS into 2 FPS.  Not to mention you have to provide the c header which means one has to have the source code and if one has the source code, then it would be cheaper and easier to just change the Target to 64bit and compile and if any issues come up resolve them.  And finally you'll need to deploy and register the new COM objects ... so I'm not really sure how useful this would be ... if at all?

Cheers, Rob.

I don't think that forum posts are indicative of the use of a particular sim. If you look at many forums, you will see that probably 75% of the posts are submitted by maybe 15-20 members at most . One sees the same names over and over again even on one thread.

I agee. I don't have P3D and don't intend to get it until it seems like we're closer to a "final" version, if that ever happens, but yet I read the P3D forum all the time just to see what's new and because I run out of things to read. Heck, I've long since vacated FS9 but still read that forum also as do a lot of FS9 users read the FSX and P3D forums as well.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I agee. I don't have P3D and don't intend to get it until it seems like we're closer to a "final" version
Wow Jim...I don't think any of us are likely to see a "Finished" version of Prepar3d in our lifetime. In the future, there will likely be space navigation, under sea terrain for subs. Then there is the surface of the moon and mars, search and rescue, wilderness fire fighting,disaster prepardness and on and on. Then of course after 64bit the virtural reality equipment is going to come of age a d I guess we shoot for 128 bit goodness. This thing is just a puppy. Perhalps you great grand kids will see and use the full grown dog version.  :p0310:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.