Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

What do you call a Vatsim CTR controller who logs on and calls you while your on final?

... but you cannot post it on a family forum such as this...  :wink:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I am thankful for all controllers wherever they may be. But you are fully within rights to ignore that kind of stupidity until you have landed, unless there is an obvious and apparent conflict with other traffic.

Controllers in real life know the 3 fundamentals of flying:

• Aviate
  • Navigate
  • Communicate

On a missed approach the pilot flies the aircraft safely from the point of the no go and controls the aircraft to follow the aerodrome procedure, once safe the pilot can then contact ATC and inform them of the situation.  They may contact you at the wrong time but understand the fundamentals.  Someone must have felt pretty important in that terminal chair.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

I don't get it. What did he do that was so terrible? Having said that, why was a centre controller calling someone on final who would be in contact with the tower at that point?

I don't do VATSIM, as is probably obvious, partly because my one VATSIM experience with a rude, unhelpful controller was a real turn-off.

Holdit, on 14 Feb 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

don't get it. What did he do that was so terrible? Having said that, why was a centre controller calling someone on final who would be in contact with the tower at that point?

VATSIM works on a hierarchy basis. The upper controllers control everything downwards if no-one else is available below them in their sectors. As tower was not available, the CTR controller will be covering all tower traffic in his area of coverage as well.

Given that the approach phase is the one phase which requires your full attention, it's not reasonable to call someone during the approach and expect the person to dial the frequency and establish contact at that point. Its the one phase of flight that should be left alone to run its course without unnecessary contact unless it is to avoid conflict with other traffic. That could have been the case, but unlikely.

One can't be too harsh though. I appreciate voluntary controllers. They are there for fun and enjoyment as much as the pilots are

• Upvote 2

Guys six weeks have passed and I'm still ticked off about it. So much that I haven't used VATSIM since. Eventually I will as I'm finding ATC programs lacking and I enjoy it and appreciate most of the people involved. I was operating the only aircraft in the area and on the glideslope. The controller, who I won't name, had logged in just minutes before and I was finishing a six hour flight and hand flying the approach. I had announced all my intentions on Unicom....life's too short, need to just get over it.

James McLees

Guys six weeks have passed and I'm still ticked off about it. So much that I haven't used VATSIM since. Eventually I will as I'm finding ATC programs lacking and I enjoy it and appreciate most of the people involved. I was operating the only aircraft in the area and on the glideslope. The controller, who I won't name, had logged in just minutes before and I was finishing a six hour flight and hand flying the approach. I had announced all my intentions on Unicom....life's too short, need to just get over it.

Yeah, wrap it up and throw it out. Not worth getting too up tight about. Generally VATSIM is an amazing experience. Controllers are very professional (unlike some of the juvenile pilots) and provide a fantastic experience. My beef is that aren't enough of them.

'Canned' ATC products are an immersion killer for me and like all process based programs, can't adapt to change. For all it's minor faults VATSIM is without doubt the best ATC experience you can have.

• Upvote 1

I would ignore the controller, land, and once off the runway, stop and let rip at said Controller...  or just report them, not sure what the procedure on VATSIM is.

There is a rule on VATSIM that if a controller logs in while you are on Final, you DO NOT have to respond.  They should fully know that managing the aircraft on final is the most important thing. 

This happened to me and the aircraft landing behind me last week.  While i was able to contact the controller and he gave me was clearance to land, it was no big deal.  And he didn't seem pressed at all for me to contact him.  The plane behind me didn't communicate with him at all and landed.  Controller didn't say one word. 

If the controller lost his mind and said some disparaging comments to you then you should have taken a screenshot of the conversation or if you have shadowplay hit record.  And declared wallop to ask for an admin. 

Having one bad controller shouldn't put you off VATSIM.  Hell if every pilot did that there would be no one on VATSIM.  99% of the controllers are great and do their best.  Most of the time pilots make the errors but controllers are allowed to occasionally slip up.  We are all human. 

Learning experience.  Keep flying online.  How many times did you have a good controller?  probably countless.  I know i have.

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Is it possible the controller did not see your flight plan prior to calling you ?  Why are you assuming he KNEW you were on final when he called ?

This has happened to me numerous times over the past 15 years.  I simply remain on UNICOM, transmit my intentions of landing to any traffic in the area and land.  Once I exit the active runway, I contact CTR and request clearance to park at my gate and advise him where I am parking.  If he responds, I thank him for the ATC service and wish him well.  If he does not respond, I taxi to parking, shutdown and log off.

Fortunately this has never caused me any grief.  To me VATSIM is the only way to fly and I sincerely appreciate EVERY controller I ever encounter :smile:

WAT1460.png

Is it possible the controller did not see your flight plan prior to calling you ?  Why are you assuming he KNEW you were on final when he called ?

This has happened to me numerous times over the past 15 years.  I simply remain on UNICOM, transmit my intentions of landing to any traffic in the area and land.  Once I exit the active runway, I contact CTR and request clearance to park at my gate and advise him where I am parking.  If he responds, I thank him for the ATC service and wish him well.  If he does not respond, I taxi to parking, shutdown and log off.

I agree, and for those very rare occasions involving a difficult controller, there are many times more occasions involving pilots who 1) don't know how to operate their aircraft, 2) didn't read up on the basics of VATSIM and ATC, or 3) don't care one way or the other. Regardless, those times haven't driven me away from the immersive VATSIM experience....it's all good.

I have a lot of respect for VATSIM controllers and their patience.

• Upvote 1

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Most of the controllers on VATSIM I have dealt with are exceptional.

I would have ignored that Asshat though when Im busy landing.

spacer.png

Well I'm on IVAO 90% and VATSIM 10% but It happens. I deliberatly ignore the call if I'm too busy and if I'm sure I've communicated on UNICOM my intentions. Anyway it happens the controller message me badly as he would spank me publically to let all know who has the power. In this case i get very angry I would like to call the supervisor but till now I've never done it. I then send him in some places in my language.

sig_concordeX.jpg

vafs_status.php?cs=AFR2202&w=1&clr=11,95