Noel

Any way to display ILS frequencies contained in P3D?

For years I have been flying the PMDG 737/777 and RA T Duke.   With these they either have their own navaids or in the case of the Duke just uses the default Garmin and one can bring up navaid data thru that interface.  I'm now flying the Majestic Dash 8 and there appears to be no way to access the default navaid data within P3D.   Since I don't even know how to read charts and don't particularly care to learn, I just need the ILS frequencies that are within P3D.  Right now my only way to access an ILS for an arrival runway I open the archaic moving map which you can no longer scroll right/left in, and use zoom and try to find the arrival airport.

Any other way to get to the ILS freq within P3D?

Thanks in advance

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

in the avsim library is a program called "quick ils utility" that will rapidly look them up for you, although i don't know if that is close enough for your purposes to run a separate app instead of within p3d itself.

cheers

-andy crosby

Since I don't even know how to read charts and don't particularly care to learn,

if  you dont  read  charts  than how  do  you know  what stars or  sid  to take  and  what procedures  to follow,,  charts  are  very  simple  to read

I just follow the default ATC's guidance and use FSCaptain.  I don't portend to be authentic--it's how I have fun.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but you can use external app to do this for you.

Here is VfrFlight (http://vfrflight.org). After you import data from Prepar3D, you can turn on ILS layer (green icon in the toolbar at the top).

Additionaly, you can check 'Info under mouse cursor' to get more information just below your mouse cursor.

Clipboard01.jpg

Lukasz

Check this software

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

The one called "ILS Inspector" - It has slightly different purpose but you can use it to display the various frequency and datas of ILS - it will read direcly p3d DATA.

Easier solution you go here

https://flightplandatabase.com/airport/XXXX

And type airport ICAO code...

Awesome Sino that is exactly what I was hoping to find--thanks!

Nice All, problem solved ;o)

Thanks!

Since the Q400 uses its own airac data for navigation, I am not certain that it will align correctly with the outdated navdata of P3D.

So, don't be surprised if you find yourself off to one side of the runway, while on approach. Having reasonably updated charts and associated airac data, is the price we pay to play with high fidelity add-ons such as the Q400. 

regards, Jazz

edit; I know that older versions of the Q400 had this quirk. I am not sure if it has been changed...yet!

aivlasoft efb , flightsimcommander read your sim scenery and with airac update all is good.

There is also the new freeware program called Little NavMap that many people are raving about!

I second this suggestion wholeheartedly!

I still don't understand the point of updating navaids when the airport scenery/facilities aren't updated at the same time...

I still don't understand the point of updating navaids when the airport scenery/facilities aren't updated at the same time...

Yeah, it's a half-step improvement, but sometimes navaids (VORs, NDBs)  just change  frequencies and the layout of nearby runways is not affected. Or navaids are either  added or decommissioned. Another area of interest that stays static in flight sims are the Center boundaries and frequencies. All one has to do is look on a map at New York Center, for example and then compare that to the contents of bvcf.bgl in FSX/P3d. I guess that it's not as critical as to whether those frequencies and boundaries are realistic. I'm surprised that someone hasn't gone to the trouble of updating that file, at least for heavily trafficked areas of the globe. Maybe they have and I just am not aware of it's existence.

So, don't be surprised if you find yourself off to one side of the runway, while on approach. Having reasonably updated charts and associated airac data, is the price we pay to play with high fidelity add-ons such as the Q400.
[/quote

Well, for some.   Me, I'm happy with the Dash 8 because:

1.  It uncannily manages to have exceedingly complex implementation & graphics of the real deal and yet does it w/ virtually no impact on frame performance.

2.  I can still fly it the way I fly all the rest, just using the funky built in ATC in P3D--this way it never affects me, the mismatch between it's own airac data that is to say.  All I need is access to P3D's navaids which are guaranteed to line me up correctly ;o)   

Quite clearly I'm not going to use the Dash 8 like some will, but the freedom to go there is present.  I flew the canned sids/stars on one flight the other day and perhaps my next step will be to find another ATC that might work better w/ the Dash 8's airac data

In my view, having a disconnect between the navaids and the 'physical scenery' adversely affects suspension of belief much more than simply using the default sim's synchronized database.

Since this is not a certified simulator anyway, using current data isn't really all that important. I just pretend that I'm fixed in time on groundhog day, circa 2005 or thereabouts. :Nerd:

In my view, having a disconnect between the navaids and the 'physical scenery' adversely affects suspension of belief much more than simply using the default sim's synchronized database.

Since this is not a certified simulator anyway, using current data isn't really all that important. I just pretend that I'm fixed in time on groundhog day, circa 2005 or thereabouts. :Nerd:

I am with you. Flew for a VA for awhile and subscribed to Airac, but once I started flying GA aircraft and using Plan G to do my flight plans, I see no reason at all to update Airacs. 

OK I'm hooked now.  Little NavMap is an awesome freeware ap but I don't see SIDS/STARS published on it.  I guess it's charts I need as has been said.

I went ahead and updated the FMS data using fsaerodata so updated P3D and the Dash 8 and Little NavMap.   What I wonder is where does the SID/STAR data that is displayed in the Dash 8's FMS come from?  Is there a vendor of charts that they use to get their FMS SID/STARS synced up w/ those particular charts?

Thanks!  I'm getting there slowly but surely!

Hi Noel,

If you updated your navaid then you can also increase a small step the "realism" of your flight preparation without needs to learn the full approach plate immediately.

For flight in USA, the skyvector site give you access to approach plates. You don't need to learn at first how to read all the information in them as the frequency and approach course for ILS are very easy to find. They are the first two sections at top left of each plate.

An example for Boston, you go to :

https://skyvector.com/airport/BOS/General-Edward-Lawrence-Logan-International-Airport

Then find the icon for the approach you want. Lets try ILS or LOC RWY 04R which is the first one in the "instrument approach procedure (IAP)" section of this web page.

If you open it, you find the frequency for LOC/DME Boston on the first square top left of the chart; 110.3

then second square on the chart is the approach cursor ; 036 degres.

Maybe with the time you will want to go a bit further and relate those information on what you find on the approach plates.

If one day you are interested to learn a bit more about the content of approach plates without reading to much, There is several illustrated figures in this official FAA document that provides a quick overview of chart contents.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/instrument_procedures_handbook/media/Chapter_4.pdf

I followed that path over the years, first flying on the sim and slowly learning by small step until I got really hooked and decided to go for a real flight training and instrument training. 

But first of all, important is to have fun as you said........   blue sky...!!

I found this hilarious for some reason. I keep thinking Very Very Low Cost Airline Pilot quote.

Since I don't even know how to read charts and don't particularly care to learn, I just need the ILS frequencies that are within P3D. 

• Upvote 1

I followed that path over the years, first flying on the sim and slowly learning by small step until I got really hooked and decided to go for a real flight training and instrument training. 

But first of all, important is to have fun as you said........   blue sky...!!

Pierre--awesome, thanks for taking the time to post this, that is very kind of you.  Two great references, and the sky vector site is free to use?  Fantastic!   I won't be moving towards real flying but this is my go-to indoor fun for when the weather is cold & wet, and lots of that happening right now where I live--wettest rainy season since 1926!  My passion for 'real' activities & for excitement is 'flying' my 787 Dreamliner which I took x-country and back last summer:

image001_zpsdbpzzavv.jpg

IMG_1211_zpskduae1sr.jpg

I found this hilarious for some reason. I keep thinking Very Very Low Cost Airline Pilot quote.

Indeed--I know I sure wouldn't want me to be the pilot flying the plane I am about to board!

Hi Noel,

Yes SkyVector is a free ressource at https://skyvector.com/

Great machine for outdoor season in your California.......  Here in Quebec the winter is much colder and longer.... thus P3D during winter for training and fun (oups.. not allowed on P3d).

Here is my outdoor machine for summer. With the recent GTN 750 installed a few months ago. Another thing I get hooked first on the sim before wanting it in my plane....

Here at CYRQ (Three River airport). Midway between Montreal and Quebec...

CYRQ%20RW_zpsgay8ecfi.jpg

Trois%20Riviere%20CYRQ_zpsyhwlxzqh.png

Wow good for you.   You definitely need P3D to keep your scanning up to par and all the rest.  I can't believe how complicated full VFR and commercial flying must be.    I feel very lucky to learn in P3D and enjoy the immersion as best I can.  I can say w/ my riding I adopt a very serious approach to scanning and my own flight plan so there are parallels--it's a high risk activity that demands fully staying in the present.

I've had some good success so far w/ using unpatched version 1.019 Pilot version of the Dash 8, but it is a little buggy here and there as is to be expected.  I had a couple of weird things happen today and not quite sure what I did differently, but I know the former version for P3D V3.0 users isn't supported by Majestic any longer.  If I can't discover how to eliminate a few niggles, I'll be forced to upgrad P3D to at least 3.3 I which am really loath to do as I've had trouble free operation since Sept 2015 w/ V3.0.  I've come to really appreciate stability!

If you're still here...

I'm using SkyVector.com to look at SIDS/STARS/other stuff but they aren't that intuitive to read for me depending on which one I'm looking at.   They are helpful but I'm looking for a cookbook approach on how to select a specific SID/STAR, preferably within the FMS, not need to look outside to a chart or what have you.  The SIDs seems pretty easy to follow depending on where I am, but the STARs less so.

My question is:  does the Dash 8's FMS sequence the various choices listed for a SID or STAR based on what might be the best under the circumstances, i.e. from where you are going to be transitioning so that you enter the rest of the approach in a logical way w/ enough time to get ready for your final approach?  I haven't noticed but maybe they were alpha numeric ordered I forget.  What if a pilot did not have a chart to look at?  Would they try choosing different ones and see how the route displays and decide that way? Or are the SIDS/STAR options in the FMS pretty much not very useful unless you have charts or SkyVector etc?  

Thanks in advance