Fi5kuS

EZdok and Norton Antivirus

Recommended Posts

Decided to test Norton Antivirus (30 day trial). After running full system scan, EZdok doesn't load up when starting P3D (3.4). EZCA is still said to be a "launch add-on" in the exe.xml file, so I dont know how Norton has deactivated it.

Tried uninstalling Norton, but EZdok still does not load up. Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I understand you are talking about Norton but..........

Personally speaking..

For years I swore by BitDefender I would use nothing else but this.  Last month BitDefender Quarantined the Prepar3D.exe in my core folder,  I realized this very quickly when Prepar3D would not launch, I checked and there it was,  I tried to Allow it but it would not do this,  Tried Everything to remove it from the Quarantined area but It just sat there looking at me like a sulky dog.  

I ended up Uninstalling BitDefender and will Never return to any 3rd Party virus software.  I now use the Default Windows Defender and think its Great  (personally speaking) 

Stay away from Anti virus Software that Offer "Pc tune up" and "register cleaners"  there Gimmicks to help you buy the software,  Registry Cleaner's can and will remove Product registration\license Entries in your register editor.  

The total weight of waste that's in your editor amounts to nothing at all.  The best of the Register Cleaners to probably CCleaner and even at that you have to watch what your Deleting    

======================

Brynjar

Can you see all these files on the left in this location ?  Possible one of them has been Quarantined 

25384156781_218940fcc9_o.png

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Elaine Dixon said:

Stay away from Anti virus Software

Elaine, my dear friend, that is terrible, absolutely wrong and even dangerous advice.

Come talk with me and I'll explain and help you out if you'd like.

 

Share this post


Link to post

You miss quoted me Dave,  Below is what i said,  I was referring to registry cleaners  

35 minutes ago, Elaine Dixon said:

Stay away from Anti virus Software that Offer "Pc tune up" and "register cleaners"  there Gimmicks to help you buy the software,  Registry Cleaner's can and will remove Product registration\license Entries in your register editor

 

5 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Come talk with me and I'll explain and help you out if you'd like

Lol  Dave your a gas man :) 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Fi5kuS said:

Decided to test Norton Antivirus (30 day trial). After running full system scan, EZdok doesn't load up when starting P3D (3.4). EZCA is still said to be a "launch add-on" in the exe.xml file, so I dont know how Norton has deactivated it.

Tried uninstalling Norton, but EZdok still does not load up. Any suggestions?

First question: are you using Ezdok v1 or Ezdok v2? I am not aware of any similar issue with v1.

Second question: if you are using the new Ezdok v2, then yes, this is a very well known issue and more or less all antivirus and antispyware products will report the EZCA installer as dangerous file, some of them possibly blocking it. There is a whole thread on simforums about this:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/ezdok-camera-version-2-first-release-now-available_topic57230_page7.html
If you don't want to go through the whole thread, this is the summary: deactivate Norton Antivirus and/or whatever other similar tool or Ezdok will not install. The installer has been checked by many of us and is absolutely safe. Once installed, reactivate your antivirus/antispayware tool as usual.

 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, barrel_owl said:

First question: are you using Ezdok v1 or Ezdok v2? I am not aware of any similar issue with v1.

Second question: if you are using the new Ezdok v2, then yes, this is a very well known issue and more or less all antivirus and antispyware products will report the EZCA installer as dangerous file, some of them possibly blocking it. There is a whole thread on simforums about this:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/ezdok-camera-version-2-first-release-now-available_topic57230_page7.html
If you don't want to go through the whole thread, this is the summary: deactivate Norton Antivirus and/or whatever other similar tool or Ezdok will not install. The installer has been checked by many of us and is absolutely safe. Once installed, reactivate your antivirus/antispayware tool as usual.

 

Once installed  you need  to  exclude  the exe   from nortan  scanning  it  again otherwise  it  will block it  again

Share this post


Link to post

Elaine,

I suppose my comment could have been taken two ways... (sorry, posted early morning), but I meant that sincerely not abrasively. We had a recent thread here on AVSIM that explains this topic of computer security really well.  Regarding the issue you had, it can easily be corrected (that's what I meant about come talk with me).

Best wishes my friend.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well, for some reason Norton Antivirus had removed and deleted the EZCA.exe file. Without this file there is no way P3D can load up with EZdok.

So I simply uninstalled EZdok (luckily I had saved all my cameras for every aircraft), deactivated Norton Antivirus, reinstalled EZdok and then marked everything related to EZdok as safe in Norton Antivirus. Took a while before I found to option to exclude files and/or folders.

Still, Norton goes on a rampage and removes critical flightsim files from my computer from time to time...

Share this post


Link to post

Personally the best thing I ever did was not use Antivirus cripple ware. I dont go to placers on the net that are dodge and use use windows D.

Run malwearebits once a month, even that I delete after Ive used it.

CClean once a week not had any problems for years.

Each to there own. Just ask yourself how many virus have you ever had? I've had 2 in 20 years. One was from a game mag demo cd lol.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think for a simmer and most other users, Norton AV is like putting grinding compound in the oil in your car engine. It slows everything down, and is a nightmare to uninstall. Webroot is the best AV I have found, and has the least impact o performance for a gamer. You can turn it on of off, run your sim, and you will see zero difference in performance. I leave it on all the time. https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/sem/brand?rc=5340&sc=701F0000000etVr&gclid=Cj0KEQiAot_FBRCqt8jVsoDKoZABEiQAqFL76PnBfDTlX0nPA_viPw9XW2rDt9NZQ5TamE1KqzrZm_AaAt258P8HAQ

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, you guys have convinced me.

For the sake of my fellow flight simmers, I'm going to offer a live, interactive course on computer security for flight simmers.  Like the other courses I've taught, I'll hold in using TeamViewer, which works tremendously as a Virtual Classroom.

The reason?  Because there is absolutely no reason why anyone in our community should have the types of problems you guys are experiencing... and given the threat environment there is absolutely no reason anyone should venture online without the the level of protection provided by Nortons, Bit Defender or Kapersky (full computer security suites).

Now in fairness, the Norton's manual describes very well how to avoid the types of problems you guys have described in this thread... but I'm happy to go over it personally in the course.  Suffice it to say... flight sim software is often not recognized by security suites (because often times the flight sim software authors don't take the time to register the software with the security software companies). But there is a very easy fix for this.

We had a terrific thread on computer security software going here on AVSIM just a week ago... were people with professional knowledge of this topic helped to educate our fellow flight simmers.

I'm prepping for the VASTIM Introduction Course (being held Saturday), then I have to get some development/testing work done.  So I'll look at my schedule after that and I'll generate up a course notice in roughly a week or so.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now