Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

Setting stab trim before engine start

Recommended Posts

Hi chaps,

For some reason (since the update, though almost certainly coincidentally) I haven't been able to set the stabiliser trim on the new 747 prior to pushback with pre-start items complete and AUX pump on sys 4 running. I can only set the trim once the engines are started.

Can't be a bug as I know PMDG wouldn't make a mistake like that, so it's obviously something I'm doing wrong. By the way, my trim mappings are fine and the trim switches are moving on the control column, they just don't do anything.

Cheers,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I can set the trim after the APU is started and before engine start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I used to be able to, now it's not happening. Can't quite work out what I'm doing wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trim uses Hydraulics 2 and 3. Are you sure you had the electric (or optionally pneumatic) demand pumps in Auto prior to engine start? After start, your engine hydraulic pumps would have been running (and providing hydraulic power to the #2 and #3 systems)

Also, make sure you're not leaning on your joystick. Normally leaning on the control column in the opposite direction to the trimming action will cause the trim to stop (unless you are using the Alternate trim switches on the thrust quadrant). You may have to adjust your null zones.

Hope this helps

Cheers

JHW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be my null zones then - yes hydraulics are in auto with the auxiliary pump running on system 4. I shall have to test it and come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like John said, make sure #2 and #3 demand pumps are in Auto, that is the most obvious reason. You cannot trim without them being in Auto. The #4 aux pump is primarily for brakes and nose & body gear steering, but not stab trim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You posted the same time I did John Price, so you know how the system works and have them in Auto, disregard my post then, your way ahead of me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My trim set-up is always dead on with FMC....so not sure if that is right either since I never had to adjust it. And I thought it is always done thru FMC with Q3....LOL....Can someone teach me how to adjust the trim...and what to use? And how come my trim display always matches exact number in FMC? Doesn't make sense I guess....:blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always set trim after engine start, it is the first thing I do when checking spoiler, aileron, elevator and rudder control movement.  Timing wise, this generally happens after pushback and I'm on parking brake, and on brake release I start taxi and set flaps.

Alex, full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please.  The FMC never sets trim.  Once A/P is active then trim and control surfaces are controlled by it but not the FMC.  If the trim happens to be the same as the FMC after setting up thrust and takeoff then that is just a coincidence.  Hydraulics are required for trim setting as already mentioned in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of trim settings. IIRC, trim should be set to 6 points after landing, as this is its 'neutral' position. Setting up trim for departure should be done before startup, after HYD DEM PUMPS are in AUTO/AUX position.

Cheers,
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, downscc said:

I always set trim after engine start, it is the first thing I do when checking spoiler, aileron, elevator and rudder control movement.  Timing wise, this generally happens after pushback and I'm on parking brake, and on brake release I start taxi and set flaps.

Alex, full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please.  The FMC never sets trim.  Once A/P is active then trim and control surfaces are controlled by it but not the FMC.  If the trim happens to be the same as the FMC after setting up thrust and takeoff then that is just a coincidence.  Hydraulics are required for trim setting as already mentioned in this thread.

Thanks....I understood that Hydraulics are required....but how actually you are adjusting the trim? NGX has a way, 777 does as well, but how you do it on Q3?

Must be coincidence that every of 9 flights I made so far trim was dead on...how, don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rwy23 said:

but how actually you are adjusting the trim?

Elevator trim... same as NGX and 777.  Maybe I don't understand your question. The only difference is there is no tool tips indicating the exact amount, on the 747 you look at the dial and eyeball the setting. Close is good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, downscc said:

Elevator trim... same as NGX and 777.  Maybe I don't understand your question. The only difference is there is no tool tips indicating the exact amount, on the 747 you look at the dial and eyeball the setting. Close is good enough.

I guess I am not asking right question, I know where is the dial....but, on NGX you move the trim wheel to set the trim, on 777 you move trim levers to set the trim, but what do you move on Q3 to set the trim.....

Thanks..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rwy23 said:

on 777 you move trim levers to set the trim, but what do you move on Q3 to set the trim.....

You're not supposed to move those trim levers on the 777, actually. You're supposed to use the trim toggles on the yoke for both. Set a trim up/down command in the sim joystick/keyboard commands screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scandinavian13 said:

You're not supposed to move those trim levers on the 777, actually. You're supposed to use the trim toggles on the yoke for both. Set a trim up/down command in the sim joystick/keyboard commands screen.

I have to say I didn't know that....but I knew they are available on yoke (left handle), but why you not suppose to move that? Any difference in set up? Would be good to know...I think I watched your video on YT setting the trim.....

Q3 supposed to be set up on yoke as well I assume, but I think I tried and nothing happen......I did not set buttons for that thru FSUIPC...that might be the option...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this