Recommended Posts

Just downloaded and installed - everything seems to be working well, as in, exactly like pb17.

No release notes yet.

I'm quite excited now that this new chapter of X-Plane has finally arrived. :happy:

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Cheers Jim I'll grab it later. I wonder what has been fixed or changed this time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Novation said:

Cheers Jim I'll grab it later. I wonder what has been fixed or changed this time?

Nothing on the release notes, as of my time, this morning, but according to the org, nothing major...an update to the B737, B747 and Cessna C172SP, update to Planemaker, update to the installer and a couple other little things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I've just installed it and nothing has changed in any obvious way over the last beta. I would love them to tie up the graphic issues soon; the glowing trees, the flashing reflections and broken shadows. I don't see how the optimization can happen until these are fixed, and they are all very distracting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Novation said:

Yeah. I've just installed it and nothing has changed in any obvious way over the last beta. I would love them to tie up the graphic issues soon; the glowing trees, the flashing reflections and broken shadows. I don't see how the optimization can happen until these are fixed, and they are all very distracting.

If you are keeping up with current events, via the blog, it has been stated that there is still a lot on Ben's plate to fix, but won't happen until after the initial release.  A little time and patience and we'll see some better transformations coming to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimm said:

If you are keeping up with current events, via the blog

I must admit I don't think to look at it. In fact I don't even know where it is :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the glowing trees is high on his list, but he didnt want to postpone release because of this bug, same with the shining through clouds issue of streets issue.

they want to finalize the foundations of xp11 now so developers have a definate version to start working on.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very happy they fixed that rainbow in the sky and now it looks great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the notes are posted for R1:

 

Release Candidate 1

Bug fixes:

XPD-5349 Fixed lights visible through heavy clouds.

XPD-7259 ATC taxi guidelines too faint.

XPD-7283 Spill lights not fogged in HDR mode.

XPD-7363, XPD-7508 Fix for planet showing up in near view in low vis.

XPD-7850 Fixed crash when selecting approach at LGML.

XPD-7861 New hint text without extraneous line breaks.

XPD-7864 Fixed mouse fly not working with two monitors and large UI.

XPD-7868 Drop tank CG fixed.

Fixed plugins changing UI units and resulting in out of range values.

Default C172 fixes: OAT gauge & 41″ MP at max throttle.

GPS fixes: we allow setting of GPS relative bearing when override_gps is on, & the magnetic bearing points to the terminator.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jimm said:

XPD-5349 Fixed lights visible through heavy clouds.

This fix is shoddy. What it does now, is shutting off all airport lights when there is an "overcast" or "stratus" cloud layer and the aircraft altitude is above the cloud layer. Infact, if you are above "overcast" clouds and there's a patch of clear sky, you won't see airport lights.

I hope this is not considered fixed for good, but that a better fix is reserved for the future.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Murmur said:

This fix is shoddy. What it does now, is shutting off all airport lights when there is an "overcast" or "stratus" cloud layer and the aircraft altitude is above the cloud layer. Infact, if you are above "overcast" clouds and there's a patch of clear sky, you won't see airport lights.

I hope this is not considered fixed for good, but that a better fix is reserved for the future.

 

You should report a new bug for that, just to be sure.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After I posted this topic, I took an hour and a half flight into dusk in the new Panthera... Very pleasing. Good framerate, default clouds looked more than acceptable, I could see the actual ball of fire known as the sun as it was setting, really, really nice. (And the excellent aircraft didn't hurt either!)

The one note I could make, is that it seems that depending on the time of day, there's a bit of a white band at the horizon that I don't recall being there in earlier betas. A bit distracting, actually. I recall seeing it show up while manipulating various cart controls in far earlier beta versions, so perhaps the tweaking they've done has introduced it while trying to improve other visuals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe now some of these horrendous bugs with add-ons will be addressed by the 3rd party devs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I am not at my sim right now, can anyone confirm whether or not nightime textures appear and disappear as the early evening transitions to night?  I know with PB17 this problem existed where if you had a flight around dusk, the lights would come on and you would get the lighting on the ground, but a couple of hours later, the lighting on the ground would disappear, but the lights above still show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that you can get a whole lot more information from the comments section of the blog than what is officially published! lol

I saw a lot of interesting features being discussed, but no official roadmaps for completion.  Honestly, just the thought of having a lot of these new features makes me happier that I jumped onboard X-Plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimm said:

It appears that you can get a whole lot more information from the comments section of the blog than what is officially published! lol

Yeah lol :laugh:

This is interesting.... So, is there any downside to the line below from Ben?   I'm using this script and can't say I've seen anything that's not better than the default situation.

Quote

This is the fix where the shadow time of day is extended? I can revisit that but generally extending the shadow time duration had its own problems – a trade of a bug for a bug. We can revisit this further in future updates.

As a general note: clever users who have made Lua scripts to make X-Plane better via art control hacking can contact me directly if they think their fix is useful in the general case and should be standard for the sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Novation said:

is is the fix where the shadow time of day is extended? I can revisit that but generally extending the shadow time duration had its own problems – a trade of a bug for a bug. We can revisit this further in future updates.

As a general note: clever users who have made Lua scripts to make X-Plane better via art control hacking can contact me directly if they think their fix is useful in the general case and should be standard for the sim.

A good takeaway from that is that LR is willing to LISTEN to the users and even implement solutions.  I have seen other blurbs here and there of users stating that user-related material is being added, not to mention gateway airport submissions which occur often. :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jimm said:

A good takeaway from that is that LR is willing to LISTEN to the users and even implement solutions.  I have seen other blurbs here and there of users stating that user-related material is being added, not to mention gateway airport submissions which occur often. :biggrin:

Absolutely. However, it seems a shame they don't seem to engage more (or at all) in the two main forums that users comment in.... but, as least the blog seems to be a way in for those with a bit more determination and real skill to make meaningful changes  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Novation said:

Absolutely. However, it seems a shame they don't seem to engage more (or at all) in the two main forums that users comment in.... but, as least the blog seems to be a way in for those with a bit more determination and real skill to make meaningful changes  ;)

Just because you don't see them or hear from them in the forums, doesn't mean they don't have their proverbial ear to the rail. :)

I'm sure their well aware of the buzz that surrounds their creation, and whether it's positive or negative feedback, they'll get the message.  Despite a lot of the clamoring from users about particulars, like trees, shadows, celestial bodies, we know it's on their plate and for them to NOT promise anything is a whole lot better than them revealing roadmaps or promises to fix by a certain date and then finding out there are delays or other excuses.  Like a fine wine, it takes patience and time and I honestly believe that they have an excellent base to work from now and it can only get better.  As it was loosely stated by Ben that they want to get 11 out the door so they can get the developers started fixes and other enhancements, so the short answer to that is the sooner we get 11, the sooner a lot of our great add-on aircraft are ready for primetime!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Novation said:

Absolutely. However, it seems a shame they don't seem to engage more (or at all) in the two main forums that users comment in.... but, as least the blog seems to be a way in for those with a bit more determination and real skill to make meaningful changes  ;)

Ben has posted here before, as have others from the LR team. However, you can't blame them for not keeping a constant presence. The distractions caused by constant 'noise' produced by forums where everyone thinks their ideas/problems/issues should take precedence over everything else would be counter-productive to a small team trying to focus on established goals.

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jimm said:

 Like a fine wine, it takes patience and time and I honestly believe that they have an excellent base to work from now and it can only get better.

Agree 100% :) .... having said that I like cheap junk wine :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Jimmy RFR said:

The distractions caused by constant 'noise' produced by forums where everyone thinks their ideas/problems/issues should take precedence over everything else would be counter-productive to a small team trying to focus on established goals.

OK-OK I also agree:)

There is a balance to be struck between whingers like me, who want their glowing trees and flashing reflections fixed, when deeper internal, and maybe less obvious fixes, that overall, make a bigger difference need sorting first.

Perhaps the odd post here, and at .org would be good though, as I've not seen any...... just so we know they are looking and listening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now