Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

Recap DTG Twitch Stream

I'm cautiously optimistic. Although a bit disapointed, that some of the old (legacy) issues still exists. Was also hoping for some lighting engine overhaul...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

7 hours ago, philphy42 said:

I just watched the stream.  I thought it looks good and some of the future development sounds very promising. I had to laugh during the stream when everyone was being derogatory and stupid in chat and then Cryss says " type !May18 for a free copy"   everyone suddenly wanted a free copy :biggrin:  

The classic bait and switch. 

Of course we are launching in Early Access, and we've got some big changes (some of which we're still not able to talk about yet), so stay tuned. 

• Upvote 1

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

I for one (and I've said it before) am looking forward to the early release, the gift of FSW because I own Flight School, and the continued development of the simulator.

I am again disappointed at all the negativity surrounding this new sim but I'm not surprised. This has happened with every sim release that I can remember.  Question  - How can one be negative about something you don't know anything about?  Just some's nature to be skeptical?  Guess so.

Not me.  I look at this a new adventure to embark on.

Thanks DTG.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Can some kind soul point me to the [replay] stream, missed it last evening.  Thanks.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

I won't be jumping into the new sim right away. Maybe when there's some add-ons available for it.

On 11/05/2017 at 8:07 PM, Silicus said:

It is beyond me why they focused on aircraft, rather than on overall environment.

Rain effect and wiggly gauges, but the same old land class issues leftover from FS9.

They clearly have not listened to the community. 

The aircraft that's in the sim I believe is done at a fairly high level. I think they focused on this because

1. It would be unforgivable to produce a simulation with low quality of aircraft

2. Dovetail wanted to partake in the creation of aircraft as well as introduce systems from A2A much like with the scenery for Turbulant and Orbx. They are still learning about the sim as well.

3. The details of the simulation Dovetail see as being important to the immersion.

Looking at the graphical quality, 64 bit, detailed planes, colour accuracy, easy of use, weather effects etc they clearly are listening to the community. It would be impossible for a small team at Dovetail (Frooglesim stated they have 16 devs) to build a simulator for everybody and still make money. The land class issues, blurries, popin assets etc are all planned to be worked on - it is early access afterall.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

The land class issues, blurries, popin assets etc are all planned to be worked on - it is early access afterall.

Good luck with that. MS and now LM have been working on these issues since ages, with mixed success, to state it mildly.

I am not sure blurries can be cured by 64 bits, but certainly 64 bits will neither remove roads cutting though houses in landclass+vector-based scenery nor remove the rapidly morphing textures in steep mountains. Basically DT face the same unsolved issues we have to live with for more than 15 years now and a bunch of quite talented developers have been unable to solve within the FSX/ESP engine. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

On 12/05/2017 at 1:28 PM, 188AHC said:

I for one (and I've said it before) am looking forward to the early release, the gift of FSW because I own Flight School, and the continued development of the simulator.

I am again disappointed at all the negativity surrounding this new sim but I'm not surprised. This has happened with every sim release that I can remember.  Question  - How can one be negative about something you don't know anything about?  Just some's nature to be skeptical?  Guess so.

Not me.  I look at this a new adventure to embark on.

Thanks DTG.

The negativity has come from a variety of decisions and historical practices which Dovetail are the source of. The bottom line is the community wants a replacment for FSX but there are too many obstacles in the way at the moment to achieve this. Take the business model which already appears to limit 3rd party adoption for FSX:SE - most of the titles are based around GA and smaller scenery packages. While this isn't a problem for FSX:SE as companies can sell there titles independantly - this isn't as an attractive option for FSW without these developers taking a hit in profit.

Personally I'm excited for FSW - it has a lot of potential and in the short term I'm really looking forward to the flight challenges this product will provide with the flight model and weather improvements. If people can cap there expectations as well I'm sure others will enjoy this simulator as well.

Again it's a question of expectation and if the community can accept that FSW is a limted but promising GA simulator then we may be getting somewhere but it's not yet the replacement for FSX and unless we back the project it never will be.

3 minutes ago, pmb said:

Good luck with that. MS and now LM have been working on these issues since ages, with mixed success, to state it mildly.

I am not sure blurries can be cured by 64 bits, but certainly 64 bits will neither remove roads cutting though houses in landclass+vector-based scenery nor remove the rapidly morphing textures in steep mountains. Basically DT face the same unsolved issues we have to live with for more than 15 years now and a bunch of quite talented developers have been unable to solve within the FSX/ESP engine. 

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael, I was just saying 64bit originated from a community response for a more stable sim. I'm not sure how you managed to tie that with blurries!

You are of course quite correct, those issues are big problems for the FSX/ESP based engines to solve. However I wouldn't rule out progress.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dtrjones said:

The negativity has come from a variety of decisions and historical practices which Dovetail are the source of. The bottom line is the community wants a replacment for FSX but there are too many obstacles in the way at the moment to achieve this. Take the business model which already appears to limit 3rd party adoption for FSX:SE - most of the titles are based around GA and smaller scenery packages. While this isn't a problem for FSX:SE as companies can sell there titles independantly - this isn't as an attractive option for FSW without these developers taking a hit in profit.

Personally I'm excited for FSW - it has a lot of potential and in the short term I'm really looking forward to the flight challenges this product will provide with the flight model and weather improvements. If people can cap there expectations as well I'm sure others will enjoy this simulator as well.

Again it's a question of expectation and if the community can accept that FSW is a limted but promising GA simulator then we may be getting somewhere but it's not yet the replacement for FSX and unless we back the project it never will be.

DTG has clearly stated that a developer may sell his product freely in his own store front as long as he also sells on the DTG site. This in no way prohibits him from selling his product independently. And as far as I'm concerned their business  models are none of my business. I will treat them the same as any other vendor. If the price and quality are acceptable to me, then I will purchase. If not then no. This is no different than any other purchase decision I make.

And, again, they have clearly stated that this is an early release. They have said that this sim will be in continual development for at least 3 years. I expect that time to be much longer if it can replace FSX as we now know it. My hopes are that they have observed all the tweaking, fumbling, installing, reinstalling, blurrys, stutters, etc....that we have all experienced with FSX from day one and have learned from it.

As I stated and you quoted me, I am excited to see a new player in this field. I have owned every version of Flight Simulator since Bruce Artwick's original for the Commodore 64 so I'm looking forward to a new approach if in fact this is it.  Only time will tell.

• Upvote 5

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

13 hours ago, 188AHC said:

DTG has clearly stated that a developer may sell his product freely in his own store front as long as he also sells on the DTG site. This in no way prohibits him from selling his product independently. And as far as I'm concerned their business  models are none of my business. I will treat them the same as any other vendor. If the price and quality are acceptable to me, then I will purchase. If not then no. This is no different than any other purchase decision I make.

That means a company like PMDG would sell on their own site a product for £100 and on steam for FSW their price would have to be £208 in order to not lose any profit!!

The fact that their are company's willing to put product`s add-ons on steam aka FSX:SE, I suspect they will be willing to do the same with FSW, developers that do large aircraft add-ons and scenery.

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I watched for the very first time the Twitch today.

I am now decided to buy DTG FSW on day 1, and will support it the best I can.

I trully find their ( DTG ) intentions as the best, in the interest of their business, of course, which needs to be supported given the huge investment they certainly are making, but above all in the interests of us simmers, and I honestly look forward for a lot of enjoyment, like probably I haven't had since I quited playing MS FLIGHT.

Of course it's still good old MSFS flight dynamics in the core, but when an add-on is A2A, RealAir, Milviz, ORBX, Carenado, etc... quality, that's GOOD!

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...