Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Another P3Der to XP trial thoughts...just for sharing and discussion

31 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Right, I wasn't suggesting that SMP used the default clouds, but that they're working within XP's internal weather layers and not replacing that entire system.

I think the main difference is: SMP works on METAR files, that can be used by X-Plane and SMP at tzhe same time, so X-Plane has its wind and turbulence data, while SMP generates from these informations their own weather. Xenviro generates their own weather on their own server and it overwrites X-Planes internal settings directly. I´m certain Hifi will also download their own weather from their own servers.I think they have a much better understanding about the weather than SMP and Xenviroi together.since they can use their knowledge from MSFS and P3D. It is more the problem how to advise X-Plane how the weather is, that they see.

In my experience if anyone will be able to work around current limitations despite their nature and come up with something new and revolutionary when it comes to simulated weather it would be HiFi.

Sure I'm biased being part of their test team but I've seen them come up with things people said was impossible before and I would like to think that can happen again.

Currently I don't know anything about XP and its limitations but I really have my hopes up for what HiFi will give us down the road and hopefully (and probably) they are already in direct contact with the XP devs in order to give us the best possible weather simulation in XP in the end.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

29 minutes ago, Longranger said:

I think the main difference is: SMP works on METAR files, that can be used by X-Plane and SMP at tzhe same time, so X-Plane has its wind and turbulence data, while SMP generates from these informations their own weather. Xenviro generates their own weather on their own server and it overwrites X-Planes internal settings directly. I´m certain Hifi will also download their own weather from their own servers.I think they have a much better understanding about the weather than SMP and Xenviroi together.since they can use their knowledge from MSFS and P3D. It is more the problem how to advise X-Plane how the weather is, that they see.

Not just advising the user, but I hope there is an ability to adjust the downloaded weather on the user side. Is that possible with their product on the MSFS side?

That's my big problem with ExEnviro: the lack of control (and to a lesser extent, knowing exactly what's being injected). I fly light GA and helicopters in various parts of the world with "interesting" weather for part of the year. I like a challenge, but I wouldn't be able to fly at all, without more adjustment than ExEnviro allows. And their devs have confirmed that manual adjustment isn't in the cards, due to the way their server-assembled weather system works. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

6 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Not just advising the user, but I hope there is an ability to adjust the downloaded weather on the user side. Is that possible with their product on the MSFS side?

Well, they have historical weather. You can simply set a date and you fly in the weather that they had stored for this date. FSGRW has the same feature.

6 minutes ago, Longranger said:

Well, they have historical weather. You can simply set a date and you fly in the weather that they had stored for this date. FSGRW has the same feature.

ExEnviro has promised historical weather too. Nope, doesn't work for me.

I fly in many places including the Pacific Northwest where the weather is "challenging" for part of the year, and I enjoy the challenge. But I also fly in the FSEconomy game where there isn't much point in taking off if you're not going to stick a landing at the other end of the assignment. So what I like, is loading up real weather and then if necessary, making a small tweak that reduces wind velocity, visibility, or cloud base just barely enough to make the landing. 

Historical weather isn't a solution. For one thing, it can't recreate what's actually out there NOW, but made a little more flyable. That's all I'm looking for. And second, I'm not interested in seeing the same weather repeated, which would inevitably happen with historical weather. What's interesting about real weather is how varied and (often) unpredictable it is from day to day. And I sure don't want to fly in sunny skies all the time. 

I can have "injected real weather with adjustments" with both SkyMaxx Pro and default XP11 weather, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want that in any weather plugin. I can't be the only one who likes a taste of real weather without getting our butts totally kicked by it. We don't all fly heavies that zoom into the flight levels above the nasty stuff, and have an ILS available on every landing. :happy:

I certainly find xEnviro usable this time of the year for where I normally fly, but earlier I had to just switch it off because everywhere I went it was bad weather continually which isn't great for GA flyers. I still think it produces the best visuals though, so I stick with it. 

57 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I certainly find xEnviro usable this time of the year for where I normally fly, but earlier I had to just switch it off because everywhere I went it was bad weather continually which isn't great for GA flyers. I still think it produces the best visuals though, so I stick with it. 

I am the opposite, I like flying in bad weather ! It keeps my IFR skills sharp and is challenging ! I use my EFB to find IMC.  So Xenviro forces me to fly in location I wouldn't normal fly !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

3 minutes ago, strider1 said:

I am the opposite, I like flying in bad weather ! It keeps my IFR skills sharp and is challenging ! I use my EFB to find IMC.  So Xenviro forces me to fly in location I wouldn't normal fly !

I like flying in bad weather too, but I also like landing safely. Most of the places I fly into are uncontrolled airports with no ILS or published RNAV procedure. Sometimes just a grass or gravel strip. Even where there is an appropriate navaid or published approach, you still need to see the runway at minimums. For a good half the year where I like to fly, that's dicey. Up here in the PNW we can also get winds that would count as a Tropical Storms on the east coast, and they aren't always favorably aligned with the runway. ExEnviro does have a setting to back down the winds, but it doesn't tell you what the result is. And it doesn't matter anyway if I can't see the runway!

Speaking of landing conditions in bad weather in FSX/P3D I rarely struggle like you would in the real aircraft.

From what has been said here I take it this is not the case in XP?

Richard Åsberg

13 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Speaking of landing conditions in bad weather in FSX/P3D I rarely struggle like you would in the real aircraft.

From what has been said here I take it this is not the case in XP?

Most X-Plane aircrafts have an exaggerated weathervaning tendency on takeoff and landing (for yet undetermined reasons). This makes crosswind takeoffs, landings and taxi very hard to do, or even impossible if the wind is significant. The effect may be compounded by wet or icy runways.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

5 hours ago, Murmur said:

Most X-Plane aircrafts have an exaggerated weathervaning tendency on takeoff and landing (for yet undetermined reasons). This makes crosswind takeoffs, landings and taxi very hard to do, or even impossible if the wind is significant. The effect may be compounded by wet or icy runways.

The weather-vaning doesn't effect landing, just takeoffs. And it's only the initial thrust, 0-40 knots at takeoff. And I think it's related to torque and the ground friction. But you are the expert !!!   

Eric Escobar

6 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I like flying in bad weather too, but I also like landing safely. Most of the places I fly into are uncontrolled airports with no ILS or published RNAV procedure. Sometimes just a grass or gravel strip. Even where there is an appropriate navaid or published approach, you still need to see the runway at minimums. For a good half the year where I like to fly, that's dicey. Up here in the PNW we can also get winds that would count as a Tropical Storms on the east coast, and they aren't always favorably aligned with the runway. ExEnviro does have a setting to back down the winds, but it doesn't tell you what the result is. And it doesn't matter anyway if I can't see the runway!

Perfect, you get to practice your missed approach in the sim ! My personal minimums in real life are no lower then circle minimums and 3 statue miles of vis. Getting below the ceiling in real life is the goal not shooting minimums ! Thats Russian roulette.......  

Eric Escobar

5 hours ago, strider1 said:

The weather-vaning doesn't effect landing, just takeoffs. And it's only the initial thrust, 0-40 knots at takeoff. And I think it's related to torque and the ground friction. But you are the expert !!!   

OK, looking forward to try it out :smile:

Richard Åsberg