GSalden

Question for the beta testers : CPU muticore usage v4 ?

How is P3Dv4 on CPU usage ?

Up to V3 there was 1 main thread which most of the time was at 100%.

Are the any improvements made on multi core usage ?

Thank you in advance,

Gerard

• Upvote 4

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The well-known flight sim commentator, Jordan King, who has had access to the beta version, said in a YouTube comment that he "noticed no improvement in performance" over the previous version 3. So the answer to your question is almost certainly no, there's no use of multiple cores, nor is there improved offloading to the GPU. The main improvement is 64-bit, which some people celebrate as an end in itself, even though performance isn't improved at all. I find it intriguing that we still don't have a published price for version 4. I predict that version 4 will be the biggest disappointment since New Coke.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I predict that version 4 will be the biggest disappointment since New Coke.

Sorry, but I don´t give anything about this 'prediction'.

Considering that all these 4K-previews in the net showing really good framerates without any blurries and very short texture load times, although they are made with ordinary hardware, maxed out settings in 4K resolution and with that new nearly limitless radius of autogen rendering, multicore usage must have been improved without any doubt...

Otherwise that performance would simply be impossible.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, David Mills said:

The well-known flight sim commentator, Jordan King, who has had access to the beta version, said in a YouTube comment that he "noticed no improvement in performance" over the previous version 3. So the answer to your question is almost certainly no, there's no use of multiple cores, nor is there improved offloading to the GPU. The main improvement is 64-bit, which some people celebrate as an end in itself, even though performance isn't improved at all. I find it intriguing that we still don't have a published price for version 4. I predict that version 4 will be the biggest disappointment since New Coke.

Nice first impression. Did Jordan King specifically refer to the performance of the CPU's usage when he made that statement?? 

I asked Rob the question on his Youtube video he said

"On my systems all 8 or 16 (HT On/Off) are operating around 70-80%, the GPU is at 99%."

Jordan King's comment was posted on YouTube under the excellent video he posted. Someone had asked him in the comments about fps, and he said he'd noticed no improvement over version. It's still there. That's all I know about it.

7 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Jordan King's comment was posted on YouTube under the excellent video he posted. Someone had asked him in the comments about fps, and he said he'd noticed no improvement over version. It's still there. That's all I know about it.

One just has to look at the amount of autogen in v4 compared to v3 to know that performance has been significantly improved.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Schlotterknie said:

Sorry, but I don´t give anything about this 'prediction'.

Considering that all these 4K-previews in the net showing really good framerates without any blurries and very short texture load times, although they are made with ordinary hardware, maxed out settings in 4K resolution and with that new nearly limitless radius of autogen rendering, multicore usage must have been improved without any doubt...

Otherwise that performance would simply be impossible.

20 minutes ago, laserit said:

One just has to look at the amount of autogen in v4 compared to v3 to know that performance has been significantly improved.

Bingo.  There's more to the story than just frame rate.  If the sim is doing more work at the same FPS and producing better visual results, that is clearly significant.  Now, perhaps our new friend with 2 posts just didn't think about this, or isn't aware of it so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.  

35 minutes ago, Mr_LoL said:

I asked Rob the question on his Youtube video he said

"On my systems all 8 or 16 (HT On/Off) are operating around 70-80%, the GPU is at 99%."

That is good to know for me as I have a 6-core CPU ( 5820 K ).

3 minutes ago, GSalden said:

That is good to know for me as I have a 6-core CPU ( 5820 K ).

I have a 5820K as well. I don't plan on maxxing out all the sliders though as that will kill this PC.

I was curious as well just built a 6850K system back at Christmas.  I would be curious if the cores are being used to "feed" the graphics card or if other processes (ai, etc) have been offloaded to separate threads.  Even in V3, the other cores can be used quite extensively just feeding the graphics card (or the rendering threads)

29 minutes ago, Mr_LoL said:

I have a 5820K as well. I don't plan on maxxing out all the sliders though as that will kill this PC.

I always set my sliders in the Schiphol area : 6 runways , water , Amsterdam , multiple cloud layers + overcast.

That is my base.

Then I make multiple p3d.cfg files according to the Environment I fly to ( read : more or less detail )

after waiting years for a 64 bit supported platform, i am not as excited as i thought i would be,if the platform looks exactly the same but now with 64 bit, that may be a great step, but now vas limits will be out of control when developers create content, in return horrible fps.yes i know vas will not cause ooms but it will cause fps problems. all i can do is hope for the best.after switching from p3d v3 to x-plane 11, it's gonna be hard for me to go back to p3d.

Multicore or not, after watching Rob's youtube video and seeing frames as low as 15, I will definitely pass. Will stick to my current sim (the other one).

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

Multicore or not, after watching Rob's youtube video and seeing frames as low as 15, I will definitely pass. Will stick to my current sim (the other one).

Rob specifically stated that he had EVERYTHING maxed out. We don't have a system yet that will handle that configuration, especially on a 4K monitor. And frankly, with one or two small exceptions, it was smooth as silk so 15FPS means nothing. Running at normal settings I'm sure all the frame rate junkies will be pleased.

Vic

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to whatever preference they may have.  That being said, it's a comparison of apples vs. oranges as the workloads presented in each case are dissimilar.  P3D v4 running with maxed out sliders and a ton of add-ons is doing a lot more work than "the other sim" which is why it runs slower in this case.  If you value FPS more than you value eye candy, you have the choice to tune the sim to your liking.  You do yourself a disservice by limiting your options to only a single platform.  I personally have almost every flight sim platform and use them all, time permitting.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

If you value FPS more than you value eye candy, you have the choice to tune the sim to your liking.

I value both and have both with my other sim.

Will give it a try if there's a demo available.

19 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

15FPS means nothing.

right, try that with TrackIr.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

I value both and have both with my other sim.

Will give it a try if there's a demo available.

There probably won't be a demo, but like with all P3D releases, there is a 30 day trial period if I recall.  It might be shorter but there is a return window for sure.

13 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

there is a 30 day trial period if I recall.

You are quite right Ryan, I totally forgot about that.

Although I'm not interested in having two sims (the other one has all and meets my needs) I will give it a go just to see the new so called features and to see how my pc handles it.

In fact there will be a 90 day free trial! As I understand that you will be able to download whichever version you like free and then once you install it, you will be able to run it for 90 days without having to purchase a product key. So it is not a money back guarantee or a demo (its the full version). So LM have left bought DTG and LR in the halfpenny place in this regard:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Avidean said:

In fact there will be a 90 day free trial!

Thanks for the tip Dave.