Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Odgers

Poppet V4 Flight Physics

3 hours ago, WarpD said:

I will not discuss X-Plane in any regard as that tends to start fights, and I expect X-Plane diehards to refrain from commenting as well.  This isn't the X-Plane forum.

That didn't take long.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

10 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Most US carriers hire pilots with a great deal of regional carrier experience

Those who are joining the regional carriers, they also don't do any 'real' flying first, even if they have only the minimum required hours?

I see the X-Plane forum members really can't help themselves.

I will remind everyone, this is not an X-Plane discussion forum or thread.  Please remain on topic.

• Upvote 3

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks WarpD and all others who contributed.

Last thing I hope the ground friction bug has been addressed its like wading through treacle sometimes haha

Blessings

Duncan

Ground friction issues drive me absolutely nuts... 

Years ago I used to race NASCAR online.  It was amazing, the fidelity of the car setup, reaction to track conditions, etc.  Best NASCAR racing game available... except...

Collisions... oh my goodness... collisions!!!

They literally defied the laws of physics. LOL

But... that's off topic... LOL

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

1 hour ago, WarpD said:

Ground friction issues drive me absolutely nuts... 

Years ago I used to race NASCAR online.  It was amazing, the fidelity of the car setup, reaction to track conditions, etc.  Best NASCAR racing game available... except...

Collisions... oh my goodness... collisions!!!

They literally defied the laws of physics. LOL

But... that's off topic... LOL

Nascar Racing 2003 my favorite racing game.

2 hours ago, WarpD said:

I see the X-Plane forum members really can't help themselves.

I will remind everyone, this is not an X-Plane discussion forum or thread.  Please remain on topic.

I don't know what you're talking about. In my post I never mentioned, directly or indirectly, the sim you are mentioning. Infact it is YOU that brought it into the discussion in your previous post.

So, bring your accusations elsewhere. :wink:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

OK. Let me try to get a grasp on this topic. It's not ok to mention X-Plane when discussing flight dynamics but it is ok to talk about Nascar racing?

Interesting.:biggrin:

(Just having a bit of fun.)

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

6 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I spent two days touring CAE factory that makes those sims, and talked to airline pilots that use them for their training, and I also have about 6 hours flying a CAE 767-400 ER Level D sim. They are exactly like the real aircraft, in fact, the airline pilots use them for all their training prior to getting in the real aircraft for the first time with passengers. What is your level of expertise in these sims? 

Your arrogance is appalling. A tour and 6 hours in a sim doesn't qualify to act like you are the gospel of level-d Sims.

Take a step back for a second and realize that there are people on these forums with more experience than you.

As for level-d Sims being absolutely perfect in their respective flight models, that largely depends on when they were built. The Sims that we use at flight safety for my airline do not feel exactly like the really airplane. they actually are pretty terrible.

The newer Sims that another airline uses for a different type apparently were built a couple of years ago and they do a darn good job simulating the way said type flies. This is coming from a sim instructor.

But what do I know...

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

4 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

It's not ok to mention X-Plane when discussing flight dynamics but it is ok to talk about Nascar racing?

NASCAR reminds me of beer.  Let's talk about beer.... (Sorry, couldn't resist :biggrin:).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, J35OE said:

Those who are joining the regional carriers, they also don't do any 'real' flying first, even if they have only the minimum required hours?

Usually not. It's all in the sim. its too expensive to take these airplane off line for flight training these days. It use to happen but not anymore.

The training in the sim for new hires is quite a bit here in the states.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hours that pilots have that are getting hired in Europe are at levels much less than pilots getting hired in the states. Hence why there is more training and longer training footprints in Europe and other places. That's what I have heard and seen in some cases.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

28 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Your arrogance is appalling. A tour and 6 hours in a sim doesn't qualify to act like you are the gospel of level-d Sims.

Take a step back for a second and realize that there are people on these forums with more experience than you.

As for level-d Sims being absolutely perfect in their respective flight models, that largely depends on when they were built. The Sims that we use at flight safety for my airline do not feel exactly like the really airplane. they actually are pretty terrible.

The newer Sims that another airline uses for a different type apparently were built a couple of years ago and they do a darn good job simulating the way said type flies. This is coming from a sim instructor.

But what do I know...

Well excuse me.I spent a couple of days with one of the management team at CAE in  Montreal  plus many hours with a friend of mine who is a Delta check pilot in their training center, and this is where I got my info for the comment I made,  but what do they know., I will make sure I suggest to them that they speak to you for anything they don't know, the next time I see them. Feel better now? :gaul: By the way, aren't the sims your company uses PC based? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

36 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well excuse me.I spent a couple of days with one of the management team at CAE in  Montreal  plus many hours with a friend of mine who is a Delta check pilot in their training center, and this is where I got my info for the comment I made,  but what do they know., I will make sure I suggest to them that they speak to you for anything they don't know, the next time I see them. Feel better now? :gaul: By the way, aren't the sims your company uses PC based? 

With all due deference, Bob, you don't look good being on the losing end of the argument with the professionals.

Back to the topic.

Dirk.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dirk98 said:

Back to the topic.

GREAT suggestion. It's a good thread, let's keep it open and shut down the sniping please.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Concerning sim vs real flight physics, this is unfortunately a good example about the difference:

If the thrust reverser on the 767-300 opens under the exactly same conditions as it did when the Lauda Air 767 crashed, the simulator is easily controllable, in fact, even the AP remains engaged.

IRL the result was dramatically different.

Apparently you can't test such situations IRL just to get the Level D simulator to behave like the real plane, hence my statement that they are more procedure trainers than 'flight' simulators.

Another item is upset recovery training which is a nice game in the simulator because the g-load is always 1. This definitely feels and handles way different than it would IRL.

One of the more funny examples are e.g. the CRJ100 simulators. During the first takeoff in the simulator during the semi annual checks almost everyone rotated like in the real CRJ.

Unfortunately the Level D sim is much more sensitive which means most pilots were grossly overrotating, right into the stick shaker.