Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

My impressions of V4 after watching AirDaily X

Having been a user of Flight Simulator since the first version, I'm glad to see the move to 64 bit. To me, it shows that someone is going to continue with evolution of the product. That is important to me. My fear when microsoft dropped it was that there would be a death spiral. I have been amazed at the improvements over the years. I feel that going to 64 bit will open the door to even greater improvements. The future looks a bit brighter now.

Bill W

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

1 The biggest advance was moving P3D into the 64 bit world. This cured the OOM problems for anyone that was having that problem. I have never had an OOM, so that issue really had to no benefit for me. 

Impossible. You love telling people you have been using flight sims since the 80's yet you have never had an OOM? Impossible unless you never use complex scenery such as Orbx in combination with a high end airport and aircraft  or you turn the setting all the way down!

• Upvote 2

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Hm, well, the problem with speedtrees is that forests etc. look a LOT less dense. I think it looks ugly. The trees themselves are okay (although I think they move in an unrealistic way) but after seeing video's of them things just don't look right: you clearly see a LOT of generic textures with a tree here and there. The old trees were a lot better in portraying dense forests.

Well, afaik Pete himself stated he wouldn't make a 64 bit version. So no, I wouldn't count on this.

Pete only said he wouldn't make a 64 bit version if it meant a complete re-write. Considering there seems to be significant backwards compatibility with v4 it may only be a recompile.

On my end, I'm planning to have P3Dv3.4 and v4 side by side, while v4 is getting the necessary add-ons (those default textures seen on the Jordan King video are really unacceptable) that will be released over time, via patches, updates, etc. FSUIPC is not necessary for me, except for those addons that use it, but in that case I do hope the developers of these addons will find a way to "connect" in a different and more modern way.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

2 minutes ago, petkez said:

Impossible. You love telling people you have been using flight sims since the 80's yet you have never had an OOM? Impossible unless you never use complex scenery such as Orbx in combination with a high end airport and aircraft!

Not impossible. I use orbx and AS Airbus, Q400, 737NGX. Never once seen an OOM since FS98

I also use reasonable settings. Textures at 1024 etc.

26 minutes ago, MarkW said:

2) The biggest takeaway from the AirDailyX live stream was the future of addon development for FSX and P3D v1/2/3.  It seemed that many of the Dev's were saying they will stop FSX development and support within 6 months to a year and also stop development and support for earlier version of P3D.  I think the dev community is about to make a big move away from 32 bit sims and only support XP11, P3D v4 and possibly FSW.  If you decide not to change you will be left behind as FSX goes the way of FS9.

I would anticipate that most top end developers will switch over to 64-bit exclusively within the year. I imagine most v3 users should make the switch to v4 in the year, and even more importantly a large group of FSX users will finally move over to P3D as 64-bit will allow for a better sim experience in time as OOM's will no longer be an issue, as well as additional features that third party developers can create with much more headroom. Of course, this will require better hardware, but we all know that about our hobby.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Just now, GHarrall said:

Not impossible. I use orbx and AS Airbus, Q400, 737NGX. Never once seen an OOM since FS98

I also use reasonable settings. Textures at 1024 etc.

Thats compromising quality and turning the settings down!  So to say 64bit has no benefit as BOB did is crazy!

• Upvote 2

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

10 minutes ago, petkez said:

Impossible. You love telling people you have been using flight sims since the 80's yet you have never had an OOM? Impossible unless you never use complex scenery such as Orbx in combination with a high end airport and aircraft  or you turn the setting all the way down!

I have used orbx FTX regions ( I have all of west coast of NA and Norway), PMDG 737, Q400, and a half dozen A2A aircraft. Never had an OOM. I am taking about P3D 2 and 3 , not what I flew prior. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

10 minutes ago, petkez said:

Thats compromising quality and turning the settings down!  So to say 64bit has no benefit as BOB did is crazy!

Lol, well if you say so. running clouds at 4096 etc is just bonkers and a performance nightmare waiting to happen. That's before you even get to OOM

I see you must be a sliders all to the right person 'no matter what'

Considering the sim is always pushing current hardware to the limits on performance alone.....good luck with that.

Ive seen a few of the videos/streams and get the impression its a significant improvement and jump going forward. Depending on your computer, we can actually push up the settings so things look even better, and drawn way out to the horizon, without blank redraws, stutters, and a crisper texture. To see the dynamic lighting in action, and the waves, rain and snow all react to wind direction and speed all add more to the immersion. But whats even more exciting is to see developers very positive comments about V4. Allowing them to do so much more, and its one very good sim version. This market is driven alot by users but at the same time also driven by where the devs want to put their time and effort into a particular platform, and from all these comments, its full steam ahead for V4. You can thank LM for that too, as they gave full support to these devs in making addons ported/rebuilt over to V4 and accommodated their needs. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

3 minutes ago, petkez said:

I wish people would read what I wrote instead of imagining what I wrote. Where did I say that 64 bit has no benefit. I said, for me ( do you understand what for me means) it offers very little as I don't have OOM problems. A real problem on this forum, is that some people seem to have very little skills in reading comprehension. So when they don't understand what a person is saying, they accuse the person of being a liar. That really ###### me off.  

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

52 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Coming from FSX, this new version of P3D is a no brainer decision for me.

I will finally have smooth simulation, clear textures to the horizon, no AG popping, no OOM errors with complex airliners & airports, better looking scenery, airports, & night lighting, a sim that will utilize the latest hardware & GPU, and the devs that I support are all on board supporting the platform.

These devs have generously decided to offer free updates. I'm very grateful for their generosity.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I was a longtime FS9 holdout and only went to FSX back in early 2015! I have enjoyed FSX will a new computer build and an a recent upgrade to 4K.  I love to tinker with my flightsim, adding curved approaches and adding my own preference AI traffic.  Thus my FSX install is highly customized, just like my FS9 install.  This is why I hesitate to upgrade to a different sim and start the process ALL over again.  And only since having FSX have I indulged in "PAYWARE" aircraft and scenery. But with all these new payware addons I had to baby FSX, to avoid OOM's, and put up with everthing you mentioned. Now that P3D has gone 64 bit this ALONE is enough for me to make the change.

• Upvote 2

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I wish people would read what I wrote instead of imagining what I wrote. Where did I say that 64 bit has no benefit. I said, for me ( do you understand what for me means) it offers very little as I don't have OOM problems. A real problem on this forum, is that some people seem to have very little skills in reading comprehension. So when they don't understand what a person is saying, they accuse the person of being a liar. That really ###### me off.  

Hi Bob!

Probably the "problem" (this is not the right word anyway) is that your post, in the end, gives an apparently "negative" idea of P3D v4 or, in other words, your thought/conclusion is that for you P3D V4 has nothing so new to make an update. Honestly I don't think so... there are lots of changes inside. For you these are useless, but this doesn't mean it's not a huge improvement and a great / first step into the future I hope :happy:

Guys, anyone can have different opinions, so stay calm and happy flights :biggrin:

Regards, Max

• Upvote 1

Massimo Solimbergo | MY PC =  MoBo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H CPU: Intel I7-9700K + Noctua NH-D15 RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2400Mhz CL15 GPU: GTX1080 SSD: Samsung 970EVO+ 1TB + 970PRO 512 GB + 840 PRO 512GB OS: Win11 Pro 64 Monitor: Samsung SJ55W PERIF: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + TPR SIM:  MSFS + P3D v5.3  WX: ASP4+ASCA+TOGA EnvText+REX EF Planes: FSLabs A320 | PMDG 777-737-747 Sceneries: ORBX | FlightBeam | FSDreamteam | Simwings | Aerosoft | FlyTampa | 29Palms | UK2000 Utilities: Navigraph FMS+Charts Subscription  VA: UKvirtual (www.ukvirtual.co.uk) Online Flying Network: VATSIM with VPilot

The minute after I checked out in online shops to buy the fsx version of PMDG's 747 and Activesky16 I had a feeling I'd eventually regret my choice. I could not afford at the time earlier this year to upgrade to P3D but I should have held off until I could. I guess I'll just enjoy flying the Majestic Q400 if they upgrade it for free to p3d and Carenado products if they also have free upgrades.

19 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think that you do not fully understand the problem here. You have many many post and have been a long time member of this forum. There are a lot of newer and less experiened folks who look at you as more of an expert because of this history and experience. You may not want that title but, I am afraid there is not much you can do about it. LOL One of the side effects is now you can not or should not write your reviews without some consideration to how those who look up to you for guidence will be affected. Don't be ####ed off it is a good thing really!

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/