glider_uk

Anybody seen FPS at Heathrow in V4 yet?

I'm talking stock Heathrow

I enjoy 40/60 FPS at KSFO, KMEM on the tower view but Heathrow I get 12/15. All the same settings

Just curious if you have had similar results

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

autogen radius has big effect at heathrow I have found

Turn it down from Max to normal only change was 1/2 FPS

Tried every setting I can imagine still cant get it over 15, unless I set it to settings that are pointless

I noted this at EGKB (London Biggin Hill Airport) last night while just playing around.  My FPS dropped by 50% or more compared to what I can get at similar airports in the U.S.  

There was a post by Chock, regarding FPS hits in the London skies due to a Meridian something. Look it up. May help.

6 minutes ago, vc10man said:

There was a post by Chock, regarding FPS hits in the London skies due to a Meridian something. Look it up. May help.

What?   No.. that post was just for a hicup/stutter when crossing that line, not about performance in general...

Just tested Heathrow and, yes, it is awful.   Has anyone reported this to LM?

Just to clarify I have

Orbx England AS16 and MYT 6 running.

Changed all settings to normal made little effect, traffic to 0% made small difference.
As posted earlier, I broke my install by constantly changing settings.

There must be something odd going on in and around the main city area and its models maybe, else the airport and its models?

I'll double check what i get and report back too, but we should probably raise this with Orbx should it definitely be a problem.

I suggest others test too, both max settings and then normal to see if it's basically acting the same whatever you set the sim to.

It's not an Orbx issue, I don't have any Orbx products installed yet.

1 minute ago, ricka47 said:

It's not an Orbx issue, I don't have any Orbx products installed yet.

That's interesting, to be fair that was my assumption.

I don't think it's Orbx related.  I've added nothing yet to v4 but MyTraffic 6 and that's not the issue here.  

2 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I don't think it's Orbx related.  I've added nothing yet to v4 but MyTraffic 6 and that's not the issue here.  

I agree, I went from 0% traffic to 100%. Minimal impact

I have orbx global, lc europe, england , trees hd and aerosoft heathrow extreme.

Ultimate traffic live @100%

I have between 20- 28 fps with turbine duke.

All scenery sliders full right without speedtrees.

I also have poor Performance at Heathrow. Even with default everything. The performance with Mehaairport Heathrow and FTX England is not much worse. Really strange. 

53 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

What?   No.. that post was just for a hicup/stutter when crossing that line, not about performance in general...

I stand corrected if that was what it was referring to, as I vaguely remember a post Chock had made about the London area so thought it was worthy a look-up.

I have just done a clean install of V4 only added Orbx, 

Tower view fully zoomed out looking at the first stand, I am getting 15 to 17 FPS compared to other areas of 40\60 FPS.
Interestingly Gatwick is 2 FPS better but come away from London and I'm back to 40/60

• Upvote 1

I have the same behaviour as @glider_uk

Very good performance in all regions I saw until now, only the London area is a mess :-) The only bad thing I found until now about v4.

Heathrow has been my go to airport for sim testing since the day FSX came out, my reasoning being that if I can get acceptable frames here, then the rest of my flying should be nice and smooth anywhere else.

It's by far and away ( for me anyway being from UK ), the heaviest to run airport that I use a lot.

At least a 1000 times I have sat on the runway with 9 frames a second in the rain, tweaking this and tweaking that to eek an extra few frames here and there, spending £600+ every 2 years or so for the last 10 years on new graphics cards to see 2 frames a second each time improvement ( That's not even a joke, as I'm sure a lot of you are equally as sad as me :P )

With mytraffic 6 at 20% , Active sky & Asca, stock scenery on a i5 4690k w/c to 4.2Ghz, 16gb ram and a MSI overclocked 970, not even installed on an ssd, it's installed on a Toshiba 4TB 128mb cache enterprise drive, I'm getting roughly 10 frames MORE than I ever have done in FSX, FSX SE or any P3D before v4.  This is with the settings I always use, but I have bumped my Autogen Buildings and Vegetation up from Dense to very Dense - triple bufferered frames locked to 30, so I am actually happy with performance.  (26-28 frames on runway, almost instant 30 as soon as I leave the tarmac).

Fly following the Thames into central London is also a massive frame killer and OOM hotspot in the past, and while we won't be getting OOM anymore from the move to 64bit, The sim is still essentially doing what it has done since FSX came out, Hammer 1 core, unload some processes to core 2 and every other core in use (regardless of how many cores you have got, if I remember correctly, Pete from ACES said in an interview about 10 years ago that FSX could use a maximum of 255 cores), but all the cores bar the first 2 are schedulers used to load scenery, thats it.

Whether LM has magically managed to make the engine spread processing of AI traffic etc onto the extra cores I don't know, but the move to 64bit isn't going to instantly give people quadruple framerates over what they had before I'm afraid.

• Upvote 3

There are 25,999 other airports to go enjoy.

I know I'm being snarky, but seriously. For like a decade we've seen complaints about performance at Heathrow. It's clearly not going to get better lol.

I was playing around last night at Heathrow coincidently and on my system the auto gen radius has a big effect, most of the other sliders, not so much. Fps went from 15-20 with AG radius full right to 45 fps+ on the middle setting on my setup, so clearly a big impact (sitting at the end of 27L, all other Scenery sliders full right). Of course, this make sense, right? Drawing all that AG out to who knows how far away has just got to hammer the system. Actually, even at 1/2 setting, there was plenty of AG and everything looked great to be honest. Could be we need to recalibrate our expectation of what this slider is and means and how we use it.

4 hours ago, bonchie said:

I know I'm being snarky, but seriously. For like a decade we've seen complaints about performance at Heathrow. It's clearly not going to get better lol.

Yeah. You are right. But even at dense areas like ksfo or klax performance is ok. And I don't see a reason why egll is about 60% slower :-)

4 hours ago, bonchie said:

Even better: There are no less than five more London airports to choose from (Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, City and Southend).

I prefer them all over Heathrow, in the sim as in the real world. :cool:

Have to be said I really like V4 amazing performance DD New York x works like a dream 30 fps upwards and smooth . KSFO san francisico great . Hong kong with both airports old and new 40fps upwards  . Every where I go I get fantastic performance compared to V3 except London . Wish I could find the answer or a developer who could cure it . Shame orbx did not achieve it with FTX England just made things worse. At least I will be able to take off without ooming from egll shame it will be 15 fps until away from London. May get a bit higher with low autogen radius . 

I like to know how you all got Aerosoft Heathrow to work in P3D v4? the installer has not be released yet.