Sign in to follow this  
Robin29

FPS not as expected

Hy,

I bought myself a new videocard a few days ago. It's a GTX 1080ti :) Before this I had a GTX 960.

My system is now:

I7 2600k 4,5Ghz

16GB RAM 1600Mhz

GTX 1080ti

After the videocard switch I deleted my P3D.cfg and deleted the shaders.

As Amsterdam Schiphol is my home airport I'm trying to get the FPS at this airport right. (with the Flytampa Scenery)

But I'm not able to get a nice FPS. In the default Fighter jet I only get around 28fps in cockpit and 35fps outside.

You can unserstand that If I load the PMDG 747 the frames go even lower.

Not all settings are maxed out. I even took over the settings from this youtube video and I am still not able to get the same FPS as he does. (And even lower settings) And the guy in the youtube vid has a GTX 1060!

I tried different resolutions. 4K, 2K and 1080p. No difference.

What am I missing?

BTW:

Battlefield 1, max settings in 4K is running fabulous! (stable 60fps) so the videocard is performing well.

The video author is using an i7-6700K and you have an i7-2600K.  Very big difference and likely the main contributor to your lower FPS.  You can still get good performance, but you will not get the video's performance using his settings with your CPU.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

You are underestimating the need for cpu. Even though P3Dv4(and v2 and v3 as well) make much better use of a modern GPU than FSX ever did, it still needs a powerfull CPU. Bottomline, your GPU is bottlencked by your CPU....

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

You are missing that P3D is massively CPU intensive :-)

Install tools to monitor GPU / CPU usage and you will see that the 1080ti will not run at 100%, especially at "low" resolutions like Full HD.

My 1080ti is not working hard. You can tell when you start bumping up the AA and noticed little no frame decrease. My processor is holding me back and I have a 4790k o/c to 4.7 Ghz. Might be time to upgrade your processor.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Yeah, it still appears that the CPU takes much of the load.  My 1070 takes it easy having a beer while my 4790K is working hard.  I wonder if they can do something to balance that a little better?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

Yeah, it still appears that the CPU takes much of the load.  My 1070 takes it easy having a beer while my 4790K is working hard.  I wonder if they can do something to balance that a little better?

Indeed, the problem is single core performance has hardly budged in the past 5 years (relative to past years, ala Moore's Law) , and yet P3D remains hugely dependent on single core performance.  Developers like Majestic have managed in their Dash 8 to run their flight modeling out of the main thread of P3D/FSX, and I've always wondered why that is not done more by other developers.  The Dash 8 has virtually no impact on performance despite its considerable complexity.  When I compare PMDG products to the Dash 8 it's such a stark contrast.  I wonder if programs and modules like GSX could be run on a totally different core than the main thread runs on.

I'm scheming on a better GPU to be able to more Lighting sliders further to the right.  My 4 y/o Titan gets bogged down pretty easily.  I'm hoping to replace 3930K w/ Skylake X later this year provided it's very overclocking friendly.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I know I sound like a broken record but get out of the FPS mindset. P3D is a different animal. With FSX, no matter what you did, if you got below a certain level of FPS, you got a slide show. With P3D tune the sim for SMOOTH operation at whatever FPS it settles at. 

On MY system, I can run anywhere between 20 and 30 and stay smooth. I have it locked at 20.

Unfortunately each system is different so copying someones settings is actually counter productive. Take the defaults that P3D throws at you and adjust and test from there - you'll spend a lot less time.

Try to aim for the LOWEST FPS you can get and still remain smooth. 60 FPS with massive stutters doesn't make sense but 20 with buttery smooth operation does.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

49 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I know I sound like a broken record but get out of the FPS mindset. P3D is a different animal. With FSX, no matter what you did, if you got below a certain level of FPS, you got a slide show. With P3D tune the sim for SMOOTH operation at whatever FPS it settles at. 

On MY system, I can run anywhere between 20 and 30 and stay smooth. I have it locked at 20.

Unfortunately each system is different so copying someones settings is actually counter productive. Take the defaults that P3D throws at you and adjust and test from there - you'll spend a lot less time.

Try to aim for the LOWEST FPS you can get and still remain smooth. 60 FPS with massive stutters doesn't make sense but 20 with buttery smooth operation does.

Vic

Unfortunately Vic, it's not that straightforward for everyone, though clearly for you this approach seems best.  I've been at it now for 20 years or more, simming w/ FSX and P3D now.   I never experienced what amounts to perfect fluidity until the past 6 months or so.  I've previously tried every permutation I read about and conceived of myself as many of us have in search of a holy grail of 100% smooth, freedom from the slightest hitch and micro-stutter, until I got on to what I use currently.   Mind you, I had what amounts to very good overall performance using other methods, so much so I kept using them for years and years.   And my system is over 4 y/o now.   I use Orbx regionals, Majestic and PMDG airplanes, and various add on airports, ASN, FSCaptain.

Unfortunately, this approach requires maintaining a frame rate of 30--I use unlimited frame rate in sim, VSYNC'd to a 30mHz monitor refresh using nV control panel to set the monitor at 30mHz.  As long as frame rate can be kept to at least 30, I'm experiencing the true holy grail we're all looking for.  Panning, taxiing, flying, etc generates liquid buttery smooth video without the slightest hitch.  The primary downside of this is that when frames start to drop below 30 video gets very poor.  One thing learned in this process was that by using GPUeze I can ascertain while flying when GPU related sliders are threatening a frame rate of 30 (happens as GPU utilization approaches 100%) and so dial back those a little as needed.  If GPU is <100% and frames are not keeping up I go to LOD and Scenery sliders which are clearly more CPU dependent than for example Lighting sliders, as needed to maintain a frame rate of at least 30. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Try 3 displays full screen, I have tried 1 display 2k and get 70 to 80 but is a no-no for me. nice video though.  

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Flytampa EHAM's performance can be substantially improved by changing the order of corresponding scenery library entries. Make sure that 'FlyTampa-Libraries' entry has higher priority (higher layer number in scenery.cfg) than both 'FlyTampa-Amsterdam' and 'FlyTampa-Amsterdam_LC'. I am not sure if this was the case also in P3D3, but in P3D4, the order of scenery layers seems to significantly affect FPS. I tested it several times, all other things equal.

Roman Heriban
Prepar3D v4 | Windows 10 | 1080Ti & 8700K at 4800MHz
FSLabs A320, Active Sky + Sky Force 3D, MCE, PF3, ChasePlane, etc.

sbsim.com

Solid 80 going over LAX with almost all settings maxed - ORBX South Cali, 7700k @4.9, EVGA 1070 GTX Superclocked in SLI.  About 300 planes in the default AI.

Big difference between V4 and V3.4 is is V4 feels and looks better more natural..  In RA Duke V2 FPS is about 40 higher but missing UT Live, EZDOK V2, KAVX, KPSP, and the F1 Garmin 750.  Ground handling is also much better (realistic).

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER