Sign in to follow this  
captain_adf

Favorite PMDG aircraft sound

On 6/14/2017 at 5:55 PM, mtrainer said:

Spot on!  I have a sub-woofer at my feet too and in the 737 NGX when you reduce the throttle you hear a low frequency "groan" which is cool as all get-out.

Mark Trainer

Yep, people are missing out if they don't have full range sound reproduction. We include the entire spectrum - sub bass all the way up to stuff that you'd almost have to be a dog to hear. That lower frequency stuff is really important though - there's a lot of sound on a real jet that's a resonant thing like that where it's something you "feel" moreso than specifically hear.

Another thing we do that many skimp on is making sure all the sounds are in phase coherence - if you've ever had addons where there's that weird swooshing sound in the engines that cycles in a regular pattern, that's phasing artifacts where the amplitudes of the waveforms for the two engines get out of phase and either reinforce or negate each other. It's used as a deliberate effect a lot in music recording, but it's not something you want present in a simulation of an airplane!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

My Buttkicker Gamer has been an awesome investment for really feeling the plane. Highly recommended.

4 hours ago, Tabs said:

that's phasing artifacts where the amplitudes of the waveforms for the two engines get out of phase and either reinforce or negate each other. It's used as a deliberate effect a lot in music recording, but it's not something you want present in a simulation of an airplane!

Yes, I'm familiar with phasing / flanging from way back in the old days of Boss pedals :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I picked up new speakers with a subwoofer yesterday after reading these comments. It was a real race to get home before the wife, setup, and dispose of the evidence before she got there. First flight tomorrow!!!

I do like the NGX sound set at takeoff. My favorite would have to be the MD-11X CF-6 at full take off power though. At some point I am going to get the 747v3 and get to hear the new and improved CF-6 sounds x 4. :biggrin: Probably a close second is the complaining robot lady in the MD-11 that loves to tell me what I am doing wrong. Fffffllllllllaaaaappppppppssss!

MD-11 sounds of all sorts (including Betty).
I love the IRS to NAV sound (used also as a general test sound).

I like them all but the MD-11 call outs always seem to stick in my head.