Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Transition to P3Dv4

6 hours ago, king1706 said:

Rex texture with softclouds  ( it says compatible) it is not

Hi, checked with REX (website) and they'll be releasing a hotfix in the following days to make certain recent products compatible with P3Dv4. They're not compatible yet!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

For me everything is smooth. The only glitch I have found is if you try to add/remove manually entries in the scenery library you get a crash, the changes though are registered successfully. I only got that when I installed FreeMeshX and it's not really a problem if you install manually using the add-ons.xml method. I suppose it will be fixed on the hotfix.

Other than that everything is running nicely. I also read many crashes here on the forums, most having to do with Chaseplane. This should be Chaseplane's being in alpha stage cause I use  EZdok and its running fine with no crashes at all.

Also, I don't bother having to wait for some weeks for FSL and NGX to be released. There is plenty to explore and fly using PMDGs heavies and A2A aircrafts. No need for someone to wait if he plans to move to v4. The transition was very fast and organized and for the amount of change, the bugs are from minuscule (to me not existent). Many people think too much of moving to something new, thinking its wise to wait. Plus the more time you spent on something new, the more familiar you get. Why be a newbie in P3D v4 in 3-4 months and not more experienced by then? Just my opinion..

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

3 hours ago, Daedalus said:

I only got that when I installed FreeMeshX and it's not really a problem if you install manually using the add-ons.xml method. I suppose it will be fixed on the hotfix

Hi, could you please confirm if you're referring to a FreeMeshX upcoming hotfix or any other one?.

Thanks in advance, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Without going in circles:

- Most a/c will not work until they are made V-4 compatible (most as in 95%) 

- Most sceneries will work; however, most of them will have discrepancies (ouch) 

- The only thing you can do is either kneel and pray very hard that YOUR add-on will be made compatible to V-4  (check the dev. website)  and/or....

-- Back-up all you got.. install one by one, and test. if it works leave it, if not try next one.. Then move on!

Good Luck

I was surprised to read that V4 causes crashes. No issue here, if you use compatible addons. EZDOK, FSUIPC5  and AS16 are working. Waiting for Multicrew Experience (MCE).

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

35 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

I was surprised to read that V4 causes crashes. No issue here, if you use compatible addons. EZDOK, FSUIPC5  and AS16 are working. Waiting for Multicrew Experience (MCE).

I am pretty sure it would be the add-ons that cause instability and crash the platform. v4 is quite solid and injecting 32 bit stuff into a 64 bit application should result in issues. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

12 hours ago, keithb77 said:

There is a good discussion on the uk2000 forum re p3d4, how to get uk2000 sceneries working and the legacy fs2002 and fs2004 components that cause issues.

Cheers

Keith

The uk2000 forum has the best informed discussion I've seen on why legacy scenery can cause crashes. Useful to those of us who want to make informed decisions...similarly I've found legacy fsx/p3d aircraft with remnant fs2004 elements cause issues but not crashes.

Using the add-on.xml method to experiment allows these to be easily and permanently removed. :)

Cheers

Keith

9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello all,

I actually envy all of you using V4 whether or not you have crashes, ooms or whatever/

I have downloaded P3Dv4 eight times now with all my initial efforts  seeming to be OK. Winrar and Winzip both took in excess of 8 hours to unzip with one effort locked at 0 percent  and a predicted 109 hours to unzip.  I eventually got there though, and started the install. Hmmmm I got to about 2 percent, installing "content" and another lock up. After numerous attempts, my best effort has been about half an inch of green on the install bar before lock up.

I think my problem is the initial download. Here in Indonesia with an alleged, and paid for, 10MB download speed, I am actually achieving a massively rapid maximum download speed of 117kps using IDM,

So, since the day of release, I have thus far been totally and spectacularly unsuccessful with P3Dv4. I am off to Australia in July and may have to wait till then to download at a slightly better and more stable internet speed.

I live in hope.

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Are you using a download manager, even a free one like Microsoft Download Manager, or is that what you mean by IDM? On the download section of the Prepar3d website there should be a checksum of what the files consist of. I'd compare that to what you have in your downloads folder and check everything is there before you unwrap and install it.

Ian S

38.jpg

17 hours ago, edpatino said:

Considering also the recent recommendations from PMDG's CEO Rob Randazzo, it could be possible that most of the addons, supposedly compatible with P3Dv4, are not reallly conforming to the LM's new SDK and are not rendering the sim stable?.

At first do not care about Rob Randazzo's post. I have installed many addons without v4 support and have not just better perfromance than v3, but even better stability. His post is focused with own goal - reduce PMDG support tickets

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, edpatino said:

Hi, could you please confirm if you're referring to a FreeMeshX upcoming hotfix or any other one?.

Thanks in advance, Ed

Hello Ed,

I was referring to FreeMeshX, but this was only the reason I found the bug, not the cause of the problem. It's a P3D bug. I hope it will be fixed on the upcoming P3D hotfix, as many after me have reported it in LM forums and it has been acknowledged.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Ian S,

Thanks for your post mate.

IDM ... Internet Download Manager ... supposedly the best, was used for the download.

The checksum all checks out ok too.

Incredibly strange but I will keep working on it.  I installed Win 10 as well in order to cure my woes but that created 4 days of install dramas. I eventually reformatted and reinstalled Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and was subsequently able to unzip P3Dv4. However, I still cannot install it.

In the meantime, I will continue to dribble all over my laptop as I see all the screenies and dream of what WILL become as I wait for the trip to OZ LOL

Jiri

With profound respect for your point of view, I believe implicitly, that Robert Randazzo (selfishly trying to alleviate his workload or not) is/has offered VERY good advice. It remains every individuals choice to follow that advice or not.

If and when, I can eventually get into P3Dv4 I will most certainly follow his advice and not only for PMDG products.   I will expand on that by saying that I own no add-ons for P3D or FSX (other than a few ORBX ones purchased after JV promised to update for P3D4) I do, therefore have the advantage of being able to wait before purchasing anything and to ensure that it is P3Dv4 certified. This is probably a fairly unique advantage given the time I have been in Flight Simming.

So, each to his/her own and good luck to the adventurous who, unselfishly, pave the way and share their experiences

Regards, as always to you all

Tony Chilcott.

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

11 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

With profound respect for your point of view, I believe implicitly, that Robert Randazzo (selfishly trying to alleviate his workload or not) is/has offered VERY good advice. It remains every individuals choice to follow that advice or not.

Yes you can follow his post and propably you will be fine, but... post was related to many support tickets when customers complain PMDG performance in v4. His result = sceneries not compiled with v4 SDK performs bad, but some people have absolutely same problem with scenery compiled with v4 SDK...

I really ignore any advice if I do not looking for it no matter who is that guy, I'm smart enough to know what I can do with my sim and what can't even I know it much better as I not stay in vaccum as that who make advice. He do not know how my system exactly works, what I exactly do and how my system performs in different scenarios.

I delete v3 as I cant fly and look at terrible blurries anymore. I port everything what have no 64bit code relevance (some aircrafts gauges, GTN), even I have all my ORBX airports installed and have no issues except that related to missing proper objectflow but it not surprise and expected.

Jiri,

You are way beyond my level of technical ability and I would just like to point out that I was not being critical of you or your attitudes towards flight simming. As I said, and I repeat it, "with profound respect"

From that point of view, I believe (and I did read that topic) that despite an individuals viewpoint of Robert, alleviating or trying to reduce the support workload of PMDG, the fact remains that, for most of the flight simming community, his advice is relevant and excellent. This advice can also lead to less "Tweaking Traumas" that a lot of people bring upon themselves. and this is borne out by the number of cries for help on these forums.

I do not seek to discourage those who have far more ability than I and I do not think Robert does either. 

The good thing about advice is that nobody HAS to listen to it. If it is good, logical and sensible advice, then the wise people probably should listen.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Regardless of the reason behind it, RR's post is accurate. IMHO, anyone who dismisses it because they think his reasoning was to cut down PMDG support requests is being foolish. 

Frankly, the logic of he's only trying to cut support requests so his message isn't valid is totally ridiculous. Who cares what his reasons are - he is quite correct in his statements.

If it helps cut down the support requests on THESE forums It would be a good thing also.

So cut him a bit of slack please.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

18 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Regardless of the reason behind it, RR's post is accurate. IMHO, anyone who dismisses it because they think his reasoning was to cut down PMDG support requests is being foolish. 

Exactly,  Roberts Post is spot on,  Weather your an advanced or beginner flight sim member, Its an important read