threegreen

Someone with ADE experience

Recommended Posts

I want to edit the A and B gates at Flightbeam's KMSP in P3D v4. Currently they are small gates and for some reason, Delta Connection CRJs are not parking there but occupying spots everywhere at the airport, even at T2 where they don't belong. This is due to big amounts of traffic during certain times of the day. By changing the gates to medium gates this can be fixed.

Now I don't have any knowledge/experience with ADE or any other development software so I'm looking for someone who knows what they are talking about to provide a little help as to how to open an addon airport and save the changes made.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Did you contact FB? A correction to the afcad for all of us would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post

Adding the correct Delta Connection ATC airline codes to those specific gates would seem to be the solution.

Share this post


Link to post

ADE is pretty intuitive, download the basic version and open your airport AFCAD file. You'll see a map-like diagram, find your parking spots on the map and click on them, there will be an option to change gate size. Then you save your project, and recompile the AFCAD file.

if you've never done it before, it's actually interesting to take a look at how a payware AFCAD is set out.

ive been trying to get airport studio working today, that's another (payware) tool for airport mods. Only works on fsx boxed version, though, which is kind of hard to install into w10! (Its been a long day of trying to get some airport editing happening). 

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Drumcode said:

Did you contact FB? A correction to the afcad for all of us would be nice.

There is a topic in their forum about this issue where I posted in too. Another user updated his AFCAD but won't share it unless FB give their permission (rightly so). So I want to do it myself.

 

17 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Adding the correct Delta Connection ATC airline codes to those specific gates would seem to be the solution.

The codes are correct in the AFCAD. It's the gate size which appears to be the culprit (even though a small gate should be no issue for CRJs). See the above quote.

 

16 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

ADE is pretty intuitive, download the basic version and open your airport AFCAD file. You'll see a map-like diagram, find your parking spots on the map and click on them, there will be an option to change gate size. Then you save your project, and recompile the AFCAD file.

if you've never done it before, it's actually interesting to take a look at how a payware AFCAD is set out.

ive been trying to get airport studio working today, that's another (payware) tool for airport mods. Only works on fsx boxed version, though, which is kind of hard to install into w10! (Its been a long day of trying to get some airport editing happening). 

Do I open the addon airport's AFCAD simply by selecting 'Open stock airport' and then searching for KMSP? Or is that the default airport's AFCAD? Or is the default airport's AFCAD replaced when you install an addon? :huh:

Share this post


Link to post

How exactly are the parking spots for these CRJs defined? For example, are they "Gate - Gate Small", or maybe "Gate - Ramp GA Medium"? How are the parking codes defined in the CRJ aircraft.cfg files? Are they designated as "Gate", "Ramp", or "Gate, Ramp"? All of these (plus the radius of the parking spot) can determine whether an aircraft parks at specific locations.

As for not sharing AFD modifications with others......it's worth pointing out that the UK2000 AFD files have been designated as freeware, and therefore they can be modified and shared freely. It would be nice to see other developers follow that line of thinking. Some developers take a dim view of even modifying AFD files for personal use, which is ridiculous. I have modified/created hundreds of AFD files in my time, and I will continue to do so in the future.

Share this post


Link to post

I fixed it myself with ADE for personal use. The gate radius for the A and B concourses are too small to accommodate Delta's regional jets.

Share this post


Link to post

That sounds like an easy fix. Hopefully, Flightbeam can release an update for their customer base.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Do I open the addon airport's AFCAD simply by selecting 'Open stock airport' and then searching for KMSP?

Open stock airport will, to my knowledge, only find the default KMSP. You'll want to choose "open airport from .bgl" and then navigate to the Flightbeam KMSP scenery folder. You'll have to look around for a file that looks like an afcad.

That's how I do it. If there's a better way, someone please chime in.

Share this post


Link to post

Flightbeam is due for an update for KMSP (according to their official forum) and by the time some people figure out how to learn how to correctly use ADE and fix the problem, the patch will be released. 

On the other hand, learning how to use ADE is definitely  worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post

I frequently create my own AFCAD files based on the developers, sometimes to fix push back issues with GSX, sometimes to fix developers sloppy positioning of parking such that the B744 is too far from the jetways and sometimes I correct all the errors the developers pass along in the4 default navaids they rarely update:  Misplaced DME, BC incorrectly enabled, name excluding the category if CAT II or III.  Flightbeam acknowledge those issues and said it is done correctly at KMSP. 

Share this post


Link to post

There you go. A nice update that (hopefully) solves the problem. For the record, tweaking and modifying AFD files to suit your own requirements is very satisfying!

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, downscc said:

I frequently create my own AFCAD files based on the developers, sometimes to fix push back issues with GSX, sometimes to fix developers sloppy positioning of parking such that the B744 is too far from the jetways and sometimes I correct all the errors the developers pass along in the4 default navaids they rarely update:  Misplaced DME, BC incorrectly enabled, name excluding the category if CAT II or III.  Flightbeam acknowledge those issues and said it is done correctly at KMSP. 

Are pushback issues meant to be wrong pushback routes? If so, what do you do to fix them?

 

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

A nice update that (hopefully) solves the problem.

It does. All A and B gates are used now.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Are pushback issues meant to be wrong pushback routes? If so, what do you do to fix them?

GSX pushback uses the apron links connected to the parking spot in the AFCAD, and allows you to specify the lat/lon of any node that you want pushed back to.  Example:  Parking in a location where an area on the ramp makes more sense than pushing back into an active taxiway, this is set up with ADE modifying the apron links and nodes to create what you want to happen.  I usually end up doing this at half the parking spots I use.

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, downscc said:

GSX pushback uses the apron links connected to the parking spot in the AFCAD, and allows you to specify the lat/lon of any node that you want pushed back to.  Example:  Parking in a location where an area on the ramp makes more sense than pushing back into an active taxiway, this is set up with ADE modifying the apron links and nodes to create what you want to happen.  I usually end up doing this at half the parking spots I use.

Can I basically add a taxiway point to an existing taxiway and put the coordinates of that point into GSX and it will push me to that exact point?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Can I basically add a taxiway point to an existing taxiway and put the coordinates of that point into GSX and it will push me to that exact point?

Note I carefully use the term apron link, because we are not adding taxiways or aprons.  Only adding paths that the aircraft follow, a path is a link with a node on each end.  Yes, refer to the GSX manual for details.  The only thing it should mention that can cause problem is that GSX only accepts the node coordinates in degree decimal format (32.7855412), it ignores degree minute decimal which is the native format of simulators (32 58.23).  Other than that you are in control.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, downscc said:

Note I carefully use the term apron link, because we are not adding taxiways or aprons.  Only adding paths that the aircraft follow, a path is a link with a node on each end.  Yes, refer to the GSX manual for details.  The only thing it should mention that can cause problem is that GSX only accepts the node coordinates in degree decimal format (32.7855412), it ignores degree minute decimal which is the native format of simulators (32 58.23).  Other than that you are in control.

Thanks, I'll try to correct most pushbacks at KSFO.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now