newtie

Foreflight in V4?

Hi all-

Anyone got this working in V4? The Flight1 plugin appears to not work at this time.

Thanks,

Mark

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have Foreflight working fine in V4. I did not have to use the plugin at all. In fact, I could not find where to actually download the plugin, but did not have any luck so I decided to give it a try. And it just worked. The only issue I run into from time to time is that sometimes there will be periods where the aircraft symbol will "flip flop" 180 degrees very quickly but the track and information do not seem to be affected. I do not recall fiddling with any settings in P3D either.

I think there has to be a link of some kind between the two...

Were you using it in V3 without a plugin?

I use FSXFlight with V4, and it works perfectly. P3D's built-in GPS out function does work, but as others have noted, the heading of the displayed aircraft in the ForeFlight map is unstable - the heading keeps moving back and forth.

In Hotfix 1, LM added additional parameters to the GPS Out data to try to improve this, but I see no change.

• Upvote 2

Is GPS Out in P3D something that you enable? I can't find anything on it.

Mark

Has anyone gotten traffic to display in Foreflight with v4?

1 hour ago, CaptKornDog said:

Has anyone gotten traffic to display in Foreflight with v4?

Yep (but) I use FSXFlight to feed my Foreflight and not the embedded GPS Out feature.

• Upvote 1

Any special settings?  Traffic option exists on iPad but shows nothing.  Traffic option doesn't even show on iPhone.  In FSX:SE, both quickly display AI and VATSIM traffic.

1 hour ago, CaptKornDog said:

Any special settings?  Traffic option exists on iPad but shows nothing.  Traffic option doesn't even show on iPhone.  In FSX:SE, both quickly display AI and VATSIM traffic.

Ive never had to alter any settings for traffic to show. If anything it wouldn't be inside ForeFlight, it would maybe have to do with vPilot and the amount of traffic you allow it to populate. 

How were you able to get the traffic option to show up in the maps later? I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

57 minutes ago, DVA6377 said:

How were you able to get the traffic option to show up in the maps later? I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

I have not been able to.

11 hours ago, DVA6377 said:

On the Foreflight maps layer, click the drop down in the upper left and ensure that "traffic" is checked.  Works like a charm.  I do not have the heading bug issues that others are describing.  I use FSXFlight.

50 minutes ago, medx421 said:

On the Foreflight maps layer, click the drop down in the upper left and ensure that "traffic" is checked.  Works like a charm.  I do not have the heading bug issues that others are describing.  I use FSXFlight.

Same, I use FSXFlight.  Traffic option never appears in v4 though, only while flying FSX.

1 hour ago, medx421 said:

23 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

Same, I use FSXFlight.  Traffic option never appears in v4 though, only while flying FSX.

I also use FSXFlight and P3Dv4 and get traffic displayed when flying on PilotEdge.  But the heading of the aircraft is always ~25 degrees off.  Crabbing into the wind... :)  I was hoping the 4.1 update would fix that.  FSX has always worked perfectly with FSXFlight / Foreflight.

I was hoping that Lockheed Martin was fixing the GPS Out in the 4.1 update to fix the lag in data to Foreflight and provide traffic data but they have not. I was very surprised this year when moving from Fsx Steam to P3Dv4 of the Down grade with respect to this. With Fsx Steam and Fsxflight the traffic option shows up in Foreflight in the upper left drop down menu because Fsx provides the imbedded traffic information like you have an ADSB receiver. With P3Dv4 not so, so the traffic option does not even display on that menu thus you will never see the option "Traffic" to turn it on. With the lag of the wifi data to Foreflight the airplane warbles back and forth, forcing you to set Foreflight to Auto Center Mode to north up. Other wise the whole map warbles back and forth. This also affects Foreflights Synthetic Vision,if you have that option, making it unusable. Since P3D4.0 release I've always had a wabbly aircraft on Foreflight even when using Fsxflight but I just realized from this thread that I've always had that box checked thinking it was necessary for Fsxflight to work. So I've never really been using Fsxflight this whole time! I unchecked the box and and started Fsxflight and it works great now now I can set Foreflight to track up and synthetic vision works great again. Now all that LM need to do is provide data for traffic like Fsx Steam. Otherwise 4.1 was an awesome upgrade with respect to VR. Native VR works terrific with a lot more outside view options, eye point keys work again inside and outside the cockpit, it's silky smooth in stereoscopic mode and mono, and the mouse. 

I will just add that I use Foreflight in my airplane and have a Stratus ADSB receiver. It connects to Foreflight by wifi output to the IPad. When the Stratus is off the traffic option in the menu disappears, when it's on the traffic option appears in the menu allowing you to turn it on or off in the display. 

Brian

1 hour ago, Brian K Unruh said:

but I just realized from this thread that I've always had that box checked thinking it was necessary for Fsxflight to work. So I've never really been using Fsxflight this whole time! I unchecked the box and and started Fsxflight and it works great now now I can set Foreflight to track up and synthetic vision works great again.

I assume you mean you unchecked Broadcast GPS in P3Dv4.  I also have done that to use FSXFlight gps data but the aircraft heading is off by ~25 degrees, not wobbly, just off by that amount all the time.  When I connect to PilotEdge I do get traffic.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, medx421 said:

I'm using FSXFlight also in P3d 4.1 and have perfect 1 meter accurate GPS with other aircraft showing up as well.

49 minutes ago, Mad_Mac said:

I'm using FSXFlight also in P3d 4.1 and have perfect 1 meter accurate GPS with other aircraft showing up as well.

So, any idea why my heading is off?  I’ve used FSXFlight for years in FSX with no issues. I don’t know of any settings that would affect it. 

I did some flying today using Fsxflight and it worked great, heading was always within 1 or 2 degrees. I have recently updated fsuipc to ver 5.12b there is a gps out tab in fsuipc and the manual with it talks about an iOS devices setting recommended in prepar3d.cfg file that should be set to yes. Might help.

3 hours ago, Brian K Unruh said:

I did some flying today using Fsxflight and it worked great, heading was always within 1 or 2 degrees. I have recently updated fsuipc to ver 5.12b there is a gps out tab in fsuipc and the manual with it talks about an iOS devices setting recommended in prepar3d.cfg file that should be set to yes. Might help.

Thanks.  I'm using 5.12c and I just tried the SimModeIndicator=Yes but no joy.  Still the same.  I don't think the FSUIPC GPSOut functions are in play for FSXFlight to the iPad.  But in the process I loaded an aircraft in which I had not installed the new RealityXP GNS430W v2.  The heading was perfect, then when I loaded an airplane with the GNS installed as soon as I turned it ON the heading flipped over 25 deg left.  Very odd but I'll query RXP in their subforum.

That's interesting, and a great find. At least it gives you a good direction to a solution. Almost seems like your getting magnetic interference when you power up. Not sure why the realityXP would mess up Fsxflight but I'm sure there is a shared software connection with the data their both using.

14 hours ago, Brian K Unruh said:

That's interesting, and a great find. At least it gives you a good direction to a solution. Almost seems like your getting magnetic interference when you power up. Not sure why the realityXP would mess up Fsxflight but I'm sure there is a shared software connection with the data their both using.

So now I've found the issue when using FSXFlight (not the Broadcast GPS in P3D).  It seems the RealityXP GNS v2 has a sign error in the magvar overwrite and creates the issue.  See this discussion at their support forum.
Link to thread

BTW, RXP was great in looking into it and finding a fix quickly!