Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

So, is P3D3 dead?

I will change my favorite aircraft if it means moving to v4. I have many favorites in v3, so moving to v4 does limit me somewhat, however I will not let *my* favoritism stay in front of development and advancement - my opinion only.

Right now enroute to FSDT KLAX from UK2000 EGLL, with PMDG 777-300 including ORBX UK, 1080TI so settings quite high, and with some really great looking PTA/THOPAT profile.

The look and feel of the sim, and the fact that I *will* arrive at my destination (I did this flight as test flight now 2 times, with but a single glitch - couldn't resist but to try the CAPT-PFD-2D-POPUP-Glitch at the KLAX gate - and yes, it crashed).

So for me, no brainer.

36 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You should have prefaced that with "in my opinion". No, haven't noticed the season change thing but it's hardly a show-stopper.

Speak for yourself regarding 64-bit. If people don't have their favourite aircraft because they can't be converted they'll stay with 32-bit and are perfectly entitled to do so whether you like it or not.

Sure, everyone is entitled to stagnate progress. It's the backbone of the flight sim community.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, Sethos1988 said:

Sure, everyone is entitled to stagnate progress. It's the backbone of the flight sim community.

Phew, because I am in the same boat as him. There will not be everyone on one version until a must have flight sim version turns up. Whether you have FSX, P3D V3 or V4 there is not a great deal in it so the incentive is not there yet. JV said in an Orbx post recently that a third of their customers are still FSX and that's now more than a decade old.

2 minutes ago, sanh said:

JV said in an Orbx post recently that a third of their customers are still FSX and that's now more than a decade old.

Which perfectly illustrates my quote.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, Afterburner said:

I think that's only true if you have a lot of RAM and VRAM; with only 4GB RAM and 2GB VRAM, as in my case, it would slow down P3D v4 considerably (due to its 64 bit architecture, v4 consumes more RAM / VRAM at similar visual quality than v3), while this is enough for v3.

I have noticed same or better performance in v4 vs. v3.  My computer is pretty poor by todays standards....i5 2500K and GTX970.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

2 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Why is keeping v3.4 stagnating progress? You appear to have a very selfish attitude towards P3D. :rolleyes:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Lots of sceneries and aircrafts only work with V3, IVAO AI aicrafts will not work with V4, so at least two reasons why V3 remains installed...

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Why is keeping v3.4 stagnating progress? You appear to have a very selfish attitude towards P3D. :rolleyes:

Feel free to read to read my initial response to you.

2 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Feel free to read to read my initial response to you.

I re-read it and I still disagree with you. Why don't you write to LM and suggest they stop support of v3.4? feel free to post their reply here. I'll be waiting.

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You appear to have a very selfish childish attitude towards P3D

Fixed that for you... :smile:

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I re-read it and I still disagree with you. Why don't you write to LM and suggest they stop support of v3.4? feel free to post their reply here. I'll be waiting.

Except this has nothing to do with Lockheed Martin. Is Lockheed Martin creating your FSLabs addons? Is Lockheed Martin creating your beautiful airports? Is Lockheed Martin making any sort of DLC product for Prepar3D? No? Okay. Lockheed Martin is merely providing a platform. This has everything to do with the people keep the ESP engine community alive and thriving; the developers. The developers for our flight simulators are usually smaller teams, that spend a lot of their time creating the awesome products we have today, usually with fairly small margins. These are the people that need to put in more work, need to have expanded support, need to juggle several software development kits to get all the features, all so the quite frankly lazy people can sit on their outdated platform for years on end.

Notice how some developers are even doing staggered releases of the exact same addon, with months and months apart, just because they have to support that old wooly Hector called FSX, a platform that should have been taken out back and shot many years ago? All because there's extra work in supporting several platforms, extra working in maintaining and modifying the codebase. 

Now we finally, after many years moved to 64-bit and people are already getting ready to stay with 32-bit for years "just because", again maintaining a market fragmentation. Remember that little announcement of Flytampa, Flightbeam, FSDT and 29Palms going V4 only? Why do you think developers would make such a drastic move? Because the SDK is better and they want to push a standard worth pushing, hopefully giving all the "lazy" users a nudge to actually keep up with the times, make life a little easier for the developers for once.

And if anyone has completely misunderstood my message, not saying you can't stay with version 3 until your favourite addons are ready. I'm specifically referring to the users who are already gearing up to keep their installation for the next many years, want and expect version 3 support form the developers, all so they can sit on their right to be obtuse. 

So I stick to my opinion, anything prior to version 4 needs to die a swift death and I hope more developers follow suite and end support for the older platform. That would improve the developer's quality of life which in turn benefits us, the customers. 

8 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

And if anyone has completely misunderstood my message, not saying you can't stay with version 3 until your favourite addons are ready. I'm specifically referring to the users who are already gearing up to keep their installation for the next many years, want and expect version 3 support form the developers, all so they can sit on their right to be obtuse. 

So I stick to my opinion, anything prior to version 4 needs to die a swift death and I hope more developers follow suite and end support for the older platform. That would improve the developer's quality of life which in turn benefits us, the customers. 

That's very nice of you saying people can stay with v3. What about if it's not possible for a particular aircraft to be converted to 64-bit? I fly Concorde exclusively and FS Labs have yet to make a decision about that. If they decide it's not possible for whatever reason I will keep v3.4 on my system. Whether I continue to buy airports for it is down to the scenery developers. If they feel they can produce 32-bit and 64-bit airports with very little extra effort then v3.4 will remain viable for some time for many enthusiasts.

Can't you see you're being really rather silly demanding v3 die a death when v4 has only been out a few weeks? Demand away. The people with the real power will make the decision. Your demands don't come into it at all.

Just give it a rest, go back to your 64-bit version and stop being so annoying.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

That's very nice of you saying people can stay with v3. What about if it's not possible for a particular aircraft to be converted to 64-bit? I fly Concorde exclusively and FS Labs have yet to make a decision about that. If they decide it's not possible for whatever reason I will keep v3.4 on my system. Whether I continue to buy airports for it is down to the scenery developers. If they feel they can produce 32-bit and 64-bit airports with very little extra effort then v3.4 will remain viable for some time for many enthusiasts.

Can't you see you're being really rather silly demanding v3 die a death when v4 has only been out a few weeks? Demand away. The people with the real power will make the decision. Your demands don't come into it at all.

Just give it a rest, go back to your 64-bit version and stop being so annoying.

You seem to put a lot of weight on my opinion, since you seem so taken back by the fact that I won't feel any sympathy for your installation of 3.4. Nowhere am I demanding anything, my God man, what are you reading? It's just my opinion and wish that developers don't have to provide support for outdated platforms, just because there's users refusing to migrate over. That means developers have to spend extra resources on support, coding, compatibility checking, managing multiple software development kits, which all slows down development and exhausts valuable resources. Again, a reason why some developers have already made the decision to flat out cut support for older platforms because it simply isn't viable any more. 

I'm sorry my opinion upsets you so much.

• Upvote 1

Times like this that I wish I could add rules like in the Reddit "Sub Reedits" . 

For example 

- You cannot call out the others opinion as irrational or unrealistic. Comments violating those rules would be removed. 

Both of you make valid points but it's becoming a back and forth that seems to me one of you is enjoying and the other person is not. It's an opinion. Accept. Agree with it internally or not. Then move one. We are not here to change the other persons mind. 

• Upvote 1

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I am a minimalist so only the latest P3D V4 is on my box.  For me it uncomplicates my life which is worth a lot while making me feel good about having 1/2 my PCI ME HD space free.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER