Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

For the PMDG 747 Freighter lovers

Robert, I hope you won't mind me posting this here. I thought you and lovers of the PMDG 747 Freighter might enjoy this video...

• Upvote 4

I can't get over the number of tie down straps used and the seemingly uncoordinated placement of them. They just seem to be using as many of them as they can to hold the item in place.

As someone who works in the transport industry, there is nothing to coordinate with the straps, we put them wherever it is safe to do so without damaging the freight. They appeared to be in the most appropriate position with regards to the shape of the freight. When strapping freight down to secure it, you can NEVER have too many straps. The last thing you want is the freight shifting. Pesonally I would have had a few more straps in diferent directions to help stop any forward / aft movement, but I do not know how the supports etc were attached and maybe they were there to do that job?

• Upvote 1

Guess they do not want to repeat what happened tragically to that 747 freighter that left Bagram Air Base. So, better be safer that sorry.

I love flying freighters...never have I had to deal with a drunk passenger! ...and that cargo is really quiet back there.

Great video!  Makes me want to fly the -800 all that much more!  

I can't wait to transfer my Lufthansa textures over to her, and I also plan on doing the gorgeous LH retro paint as well.   I'll probably move my Atlas paint too.  I'm sure all the -8 liveries will be covered since sadly so few airlines operate her.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

3 hours ago, Stray said:

When strapping freight down to secure it, you can NEVER have too many straps. The last thing you want is the freight shifting.

Yeah, the thought of this, combined with the Bagram video, still gives me nightmares.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

9 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Yeah, the thought of this, combined with the Bagram video, still gives me nightmares.

I never stop thinking of that dreadful tragedy. :(

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

10 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

nightmares.

Ditto, and to see it happening before our eyes yet helpless

The cargo is a telescopic joint for a drill ship, which compensates for the give and heave of the ship in rough seas, keeping the drill pipe straight and on course. The event took place at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport on 05 July 2013. Filmed by Nathan Moeller of Astro95

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

32 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

The cargo is a telescopic joint for a drill ship, which compensates for the give and heave of the ship in rough seas, keeping the drill pipe straight and on course. The event took place at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport on 05 July 2013. Filmed by Nathan Moeller of Astro95

Wow, Jude, impressed by such a wealth of knowledge. Kudos to you. Makes that video posting even more interesting. Had me wondering how on earth such a long and heavy looking structure would fit let alone lift off the deck. That 748-i is sure one workhorse!

9 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Wow, Jude, impressed by such a wealth of knowledge. Kudos to you. Makes that video posting even more interesting. Had me wondering how on earth such a long and heavy looking structure would fit let alone lift off the deck. That 748-i is sure one workhorse!

You should check out the video description on youtube ;)

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley

19 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

You should check out the video description on youtube ;)

Did not see any info on that clip posted atop this thread.

15 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Did not see any info on that clip posted atop this thread.

Open the clip in youtube and look at the description

• Upvote 1