Sign in to follow this  
Sebjo89

Volumetric Clouds in XP

Now that we see what DTG has pushed into their flight simulator engine (TrueSky), I'm just wondering if the X-plane engine has that option. For example, this from UNIGINE, which looks promising and realistic. Could this be possible to get into X-plane?

Cheers

Sebastian

I'm so glad that Dovetail have introduced TrueSky. I hope now that X-Plane will soon get similar treatment. Maybe Austin will realize what a gamechanger it is and put more focus on integrating something similar for X-Plane. I am hoping the next Xenviro release might offer something similar. They are redesigning the whole thing from what I understand to include voxal based cloud rendering.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

They are redesigning the whole thing from what I understand to include voxal based cloud rendering.

Sounds quite ambitious. If that's true, if would be amazing.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 hour ago, Anders Bermann said:

Sounds quite ambitious. If that's true, if would be amazing.

Well what they did with Xenviro was quite remarkable so I believe there is a good chance they just might pull off something special. For 70 USD, I certainly hope so...lol:laugh:

6 hours ago, steve310002 said:

I'm so glad that Dovetail have introduced TrueSky. I hope now that X-Plane will soon get similar treatment. Maybe Austin will realize what a gamechanger it is and put more focus on integrating something similar for X-Plane. 

How much of a gamechanger is TrueSky though? I'm not familiar with it.

Is it a full 3D modeler for weather systems that can do things like discrete, towering CBs with vertical convection (the thing I keep ranting about in XP)? Or is it basically eye candy? FSW did need something to improve the drab default weather (and lavender skies!), but I just don't know if TrueSky is more than pretty sunsets. 

By the way, multi-layered volumetric clouds are possible in X-Plane; they're in the SkyMaxx Pro plugin.

I think ExEnviro is supposed to get volumetric clouds in the next update to replace the current 2D billboards, but it remains to be seen how well that works, and what the frame rate impact is.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

8 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Is it a full 3D modeler for weather systems that can do things like discrete, towering CBs with vertical convection (the thing I keep ranting about in XP)? Or is it basically eye candy? FSW did need something to improve the drab default weather (and lavender skies!), but I just don't know if TrueSky is more than pretty sunsets.

Well, even if it's only visuals it's much better than nothing. Especially considering the poor visuals we had until now in all flight sims (FSX being a bit better than the others).

It's a first step, now it's up to DTG to integrate the atmosphere dynamics with the TrueSky graphics.

Dang Austin, you should have licensed TrueSky for XP11! :laugh:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Indeed! It looks incredibly nice in FSW with TrueSky... but I have not idea of the architecture or possibilities behind it. Is it 'just' eye candy, or are there possibility of creating real weather systems with it...?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Is TrueSky OpenGL or D3D? That would put the fly in the preverbal ointment wouldn't it..

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Impressive video - too bad DTG sim is so closed to third party devs .  Oh my response is in response to the firsst video in this thread.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Both the video's look very nice, so I hope we get something like that for XP soon. A few months ago I saw a render* from the developer of Xenviro that was by far the best looking virtual cloud I have ever seen, however he said it took 45 minutes to generate just that one cloud. Maybe in 50 years we'll have the hardware to run a full sky of those:smile:. Anyways, I'm looking forward to what Enviro 1.07 will bring. If it looks anywhere as good as that render, we'll be in for a treat.

*Unfortunately I forgot to save the image and I haven't been able to find it again. 

I don't know. At first I liked volumetric clouds, and if you can run them at high settings, they can be great, but too often now at settings low enough to run well in flightsims, they seem a bit featureless: essentially white/grey blobs hanging in the air, and The trueSky implementation in FSW has the addition of weird "tendrils" waving on the fringes that feel very "uncloudlike" to me.

Hope they can fix it.

Meanwhile I spent time in FSW yesterday messing with the clouds, then went to the TS website and read up on them, then went looking for TrueSky videos. (Doing my homework while thinking on the subject)

Eventually I came across this thread from Sundog, and its probably quite out of date, but was still interesting: http://sundog-soft.com/2014/06/sundog-silverlining-vs-simul-truesky-comparison/

I think I'm drifting from being a big fan of volumetric, to having more and more qualms about them in their present state.

I want to see more of TrueSky and what can be done with it.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 7/29/2017 at 4:53 AM, airlinejets said:

So, is this what you guys want in X-Plane?

Those clouds look awful in that vedio........The unigine clouds look amazing however !

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

12 hours ago, strider1 said:

Those clouds look awful in that vedio........The unigine clouds look amazing however !

Yes, I would hope LR would look at Unigine for sure.