Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

PFPX causing CTD

Just did my very first flight with the very latest version of the PMDG 737-700 from UK2000's Prestwick(updated for P3Dv4), using PFPX, when I had a CTD as soon as I reached 5000AGL.

EventVwr pointed to PFPX.exe.

Has anyone else experienced this as well?

No. And this would be strange because PFPX has nothing to do with the simulator.

Were you uploading the flight plan into the 737 or some kind of data transfer?

Are you saying the flight sim crashed? Or, PFPX?

Finally, what are your specs? Sim, OS and basic hardware.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Thanks for that quick reply, Richard. Appreciate it.

No, as usual I use PFPX to generate the flightplan, fuel, etc. I leave it running in the background as it also does for a map-follower.

Immediately after the CTD(P3Dv4), I checked the time and application error in EVwr and it stated PFPX.exe.

P3Dv4/i5-4690K o'c'd to 4.2GHz/16Gb RAM/EGVA 970 GTX/WIn10 64-bit/ForceFeedback2/UK2000 EGPK. No FSUIPC, no weather engines, no tweaks. Standard P3Dv4.

My PFPX always crashes on its own, usually it takes a couple of hours but it has never been stable.  The support guys point to ensuring we have current runtime modules, which isn't the solution.

PFPX leaving the scene shouldn't have any impact on your P3D, which isn't even aware that PFPX is running.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Yeah. Strange one.

I don't know if you use Navigraph. But, the beta of 'Navigraph Charts Desktop' is pretty nice and includes a moving map feature. Really nice, but still beta a bit buggy.

Good luck nailing it down...

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

5 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Yeah. Strange one.

I don't know if you use Navigraph. But, the beta of 'Navigraph Charts Desktop' is pretty nice and includes a moving map feature. Really nice, but still beta a bit buggy.

Good luck nailing it down...

Oh, yes. Forgot to add that. I do use a paid-for Navigraph subscription. Have done so since FS2004. Have updated PFPX via Navigraph

Will try and replicate that same flight again tonight and see what caused that CTD just as I got to 5000'. Do not have Orbx Scotland installed although I do own it. Just UK2000's Prestwick(EGPK).

Will update. Thanks for your replies, Dan + Richard.

5 hours ago, vc10man said:

Oh, yes. Forgot to add that. I do use a paid-for Navigraph subscription. Have done so since FS2004. Have updated PFPX via Navigraph

Will try and replicate that same flight again tonight and see what caused that CTD just as I got to 5000'. Do not have Orbx Scotland installed although I do own it. Just UK2000's Prestwick(EGPK).

Will update. Thanks for your replies, Dan + Richard.

I think PFPX does allow you to display your position on the PFPX map, which I'm assuming is done through SimConnect. If that's not done properly, I think it could possibly crash the sim. Not entirely sure, but I do believe that PFPX interacts more with the sim that you might first think.

Kyle Rodgers

22 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

I think PFPX does allow you to display your position on the PFPX map, which I'm assuming is done through SimConnect. If that's not done properly, I think it could possibly crash the sim. Not entirely sure, but I do believe that PFPX interacts more with the sim that you might first think.

Hi Kyle. Yes, that's what I was trying to do, let it run in the background so that I could use its flightplan tracking as my usual map-follower, EFB, is not showing the latest Navigraph Airac. As I'm familiar with EventVwr showing the faulting module, it definitely pointed to PFPX.exe.

Thanks for that tip on the SimConnect. That's the trouble doing a refresh from one simming platform(FSX-SE) to another one(P3Dv4).

Will try that tonight and see how it fares.

PFPX providing flight tracking? I was not aware of that and I use PFPX daily. The PFPX manual has no reference of that feature.  My PFPX doesn't even have a simconnect module associated with it that I am aware of, it never asks where my simulator is located.

Tell me more about this flight tracking feature.  The PFPX forum doesn't have any hint of it that I can find. Thanks

UPDATE:  I downloaded latest update 1.28.9c Jul17 and find a Traffic Tab and apparently it needs FSUIPC WideFS to work.  The problem might just as easily be with FSUIPC as with Simconnect I suppose.  Interesting but not a feature I find useful.

Dan Downs KCRP

9 minutes ago, downscc said:

PFPX providing flight tracking? I was not aware of that and I use PFPX daily. The PFPX manual has no reference of that feature.  My PFPX doesn't even have a simconnect module associated with it that I am aware of, it never asks where my simulator is located.

Tell me more about this flight tracking feature.  The PFPX forum doesn't have any hint of it that I can find. Thanks

Up at the top. Click Traffic. Mess around. It's a pretty simple interface, so you should be able to figure it out pretty quickly. I'd provide more info, but I'm not at home.

Kyle Rodgers

8 minutes ago, downscc said:

Dan,

if you click on the "traffic" menu at the top of the screen, and then select your sim of choice near the top left, it will show the current location of your aircraft. If you are using P3D, select the FSX/FS2004 option.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Kyle beat me to it.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I don't have WideFS installed and I have no use for it. Thanks guys for the updates.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Up at the top. Click Traffic. Mess around. It's a pretty simple interface, so you should be able to figure it out pretty quickly. I'd provide more info, but I'm not at home.

Glad you answered Dan's query. And there was me thinking ' there is nothing that Dan does not know'. I prefer it in away compared to EFB as it uses less resources, for a quick look-up.

45 minutes ago, downscc said:

I don't have WideFS installed and I have no use for it. Thanks guys for the updates.

Dan, as far as I know, I've never installed WideFS either, but PFPX tracks my aircraft ok. I don't believe WideFS is needed. As Kyle says, it probably just uses SimConnect.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough