Ray Proudfoot

EzyDock or ChasePlane? I'm in a dilemma

Recommended Posts

Currently I have no camera utility program for P3D v3.4. I just used the views that come with the aircraft I fly - FSLabs Concorde-X.

I've watched YouTube videos of both products and they both seem to do a good job of internal and external views. I'm not particularly bothered about "pilot breathing" effects. I just want a sold product that's easy to configure and use. It should have minimal effect on the simulator and should be usable with or without an internet connection once I have registered the product.

It's the requirements in that last sentence that sets the two products apart. I don't want performance dragged down because of fancy visual effects. That's taking things too far. Can all those be switched off in ChasePlane to minimise the impact on the CPU?

I take my PC to a monthly flight sim meeting where there is no internet access. With the current policy I would not be able to use ChasePlane. A product I have paid for.

Convince me that despite those two major drawbacks I would still be better off with ChasePlane than EzyDock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

since  you  mentioned   your  requirement is  that  it needs  to work   with or  with out  internet  connection, is  that chase  plane  needs  a  internet  connection. In  due  course  the  dev  is  going  to  make chase plane  work  with  or  with out  internet  connection  but  dont  know  when  its  going  to happen though. I had  both  and  found  chase  plane is  far  easier  to set  up  and  configure.  The main  thing  the  dev  is  constantly  updating  the  addon  and  if  you have  any issue   he  answers  promptly  with the  solutions in the  forum on avsim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can also definitely vouch for ChasePlane. It's much easier to use, and is constantly being updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Currently I have no camera utility program for P3D v3.4. I just used the views that come with the aircraft I fly - FSLabs Concorde-X.

I've watched YouTube videos of both products and they both seem to do a good job of internal and external views. I'm not particularly bothered about "pilot breathing" effects. I just want a sold product that's easy to configure and use. It should have minimal effect on the simulator and should be usable with or without an internet connection once I have registered the product.

It's the requirements in that last sentence that sets the two products apart. I don't want performance dragged down because of fancy visual effects. That's taking things too far. Can all those be switched off in ChasePlane to minimise the impact on the CPU?

I take my PC to a monthly flight sim meeting where there is no internet access. With the current policy I would not be able to use ChasePlane. A product I have paid for.

Convince me that despite those two major drawbacks I would still be better off with ChasePlane than EzyDock.

Opus FSI works great for me. I cant compare to Chaseplane but its better, more realistic camera effects than EZDok IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used both EZDok and ChasePlane, and ChasePlane takes the cake.  Rather than repeat it's benefits outlined above, it just seems clear to me they are in completely different leagues.  The ChasePlane interface is fresh, easy to use and intuitive.  New features are being added all the time, and the developer is very responsive to the community.  I don't want to fault EZDok, but it is lagging in quite a few ways.  

Competition is good, and at this stage, at least for me, ChasePlane is the clear choice.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Convince me that despite those two major drawbacks I would still be better off with ChasePlane than EzyDock.

Ray,

I don't have EZDOK v2, but if the need to run offline is a requirement then CP is not for you.  

Keven has indicated he will address the issue after v1 release, but not before.

Personally, I like ChasePlane enough to deal with the always connected issue until it's addressed.

Ernie

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

since  you  mentioned   your  requirement is  that  it needs  to work   with or  with out  internet  connection, is  that chase  plane  needs  a  internet  connection. In  due  course  the  dev  is  going  to  make chase plane  work  with  or  with out  internet  connection  but  dont  know  when  its  going  to happen though. I had  both  and  found  chase  plane is  far  easier  to set  up  and  configure.  The main  thing  the  dev  is  constantly  updating  the  addon  and  if  you have  any issue   he  answers  promptly  with the  solutions in the  forum on avsim

Thanks for your reply Pete. It would be helpful if he were to make a definitive statement to that effect. I don't want to buy a product that I can only use when online. I assume it's being done for reasons of anti-piracy. That's fine but surely the check for a valid licence can be made every few days. It's only a once-a-month requirement that I'll be offline.

I agree that from the videos I've seen ChasePlane seems easier to use and more intuitive. The performance issues remain and I would appreciate a reply to that. Is this only a problem when the advanced features like 'pilot breathing' are enabled? For simple view changes is there a hit with that?

The EzDok author is also updating his product albeit with support in another place.

Finally, when is ChasePlane v1.0 going to be released? I don't usually buy software when still in beta.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GHarrall said:

Opus FSI works great for me. I cant compare to Chaseplane but its better, more realistic camera effects than EZDok IMHO.

Given I already have a weather program (AS16) I don't need to replace that. Thanks for replying, you're the first to mention Opus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

I have used both EZDok and ChasePlane, and ChasePlane takes the cake.  Rather than repeat it's benefits outlined above, it just seems clear to me they are in completely different leagues.  The ChasePlane interface is fresh, easy to use and intuitive.  New features are being added all the time, and the developer is very responsive to the community.  I don't want to fault EZDok, but it is lagging in quite a few ways.  

Competition is good, and at this stage, at least for me, ChasePlane is the clear choice.

Thanks Doug. No performance hit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Doug. No performance hit?

None whatsoever... at least from what I've experienced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, airernie said:

Ray,

I don't have EZDOK v2, but if the need to run offline is a requirement then CP is not for you.  

Keven has indicated he will address the issue after v1 release, but not before.

Personally, I like ChasePlane enough to deal with the always connected issue until it's addressed.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie. Can you point me to his statement? It does seem a bizarre decision to insist there is always an online connection. What happens if there's a break in the broadband service through no fault of CP or the user? Your purchase is useless. :sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

None whatsoever... at least from what I've experienced.

Thanks Doug. Do you have those advanced settings enabled? I'm sure you know the ones I'm referring to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Doug. Do you have those advanced settings enabled? I'm sure you know the ones I'm referring to.

Yes, Ray... I have Advanced Features and Experimental Versions selected since I want to help out as much as I can during the beta phase.  While have have very few issues, one does crop up now and then and it's important that the details be sent to the developer.  There really is no competition.  The vast number of adjustments you can make to every camera to make them fulfill your exact needs is impressive.  

I was once exclusive to EZDok, then ChasePlane came along... and I haven't looked back.  I'm not getting paid by them to say these things either.  Their product sells itself!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

Yes, Ray... I have Advanced Features and Experimental Versions selected since I want to help out as much as I can during the beta phase.  While have have very few issues, one does crop up now and then and it's important that the details be sent to the developer.  There really is no competition.  The vast number of adjustments you can make to every camera to make them fulfill your exact needs is impressive.  

I was once exclusive to EZDok, then ChasePlane came along... and I haven't looked back.  I'm not getting paid by them to say these things either.  Their product sells itself!

Thanks for your honesty Doug. I suppose as a beta tester your job is to try to break the utility by hammering it. I've spent a couple of hours watching videos on YT. The Matt Davies one is the one that causes me some concern. Now he's flying the PMDG747 - the same as you have in your sig. Take a look at his video around the 27:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2PKmP2yF0

He complains about the stutters whilst taking off from KSAN. Is that his setup or is CP having a significant effect on the sim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks for your honesty Doug. I suppose as a beta tester your job is to try to break the utility by hammering it. I've spent a couple of hours watching videos on YT. The Matt Davies one is the one that causes me some concern. Now he's flying the PMDG747 - the same as you have in your sig. Take a look at his video around the 27:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2PKmP2yF0

He complains about the stutters whilst taking off from KSAN. Is that his setup or is CP having a significant effect on the sim?

I'm no expert with Prepar3D, nor do I play an expert on TV, but I do believe that all ChasePlane is doing is controlling the camera system.  I don't see how cameras can have a performance impact, but there are definitely folks here that can set me straight if I've misstated that.

Being a frequent user of the PMDG B744, and operating at large commercial airports, stutters while making 90+ degree turns on a taxiway are completely understandable as new and complex scenery comes into view.  I don't see how ChasePlane could have anything to do with what Matt experienced.  Of course, I refer you back to my "expert" comments above... I could be wrong.

However, I discern zero performance impact with ChasePlane in my Prepar3Dv4 setup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I searched for ChasePlane and Concorde since that's the aircraft I'll be using should I buy CP. I came across this video which shows how to make Concorde work correctly.

This is not very encouraging especially as the user posted his video last November. Can anyone confirm if these issues have been addressed? I wouldn't want to have to do that every time I flew Concorde.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I searched for ChasePlane and Concorde since that's the aircraft I'll be using should I buy CP. I came across this video which shows how to make Concorde work correctly.

This is not very encouraging especially as the user posted his video last November. Can anyone confirm if these issues have been addressed? I wouldn't want to have to do that every time I flew Concorde.

Ray - He was using a very early Alpha (0.1.34) and ChasePlane is now in beta with version 0.3.72.  Huge improvement since that Alpha version.  I would be very surprised if ChasePlane didn't function just fine with the Concorde.  However, assumptions are a bad idea.  You could ask a separate question here in the ChasePlane support forum and I'm certain you'll get your answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

I'm no expert with Prepar3D, nor do I play an expert on TV, but I do believe that all ChasePlane is doing is controlling the camera system.  I don't see how cameras can have a performance impact, but there are definitely folks here that can set me straight if I've misstated that.

Being a frequent user of the PMDG B744, and operating at large commercial airports, stutters while making 90+ degree turns on a taxiway are completely understandable as new and complex scenery comes into view.  I don't see how ChasePlane could have anything to do with what Matt experienced.  Of course, I refer you back to my "expert" comments above... I could be wrong.

However, I discern zero performance impact with ChasePlane in my Prepar3Dv4 setup.

 

Thanks Doug. It seems the reason for the severe stutters is down to another reason. Matt was asked and replied.. "No, it was from OBS - I put it in the description.".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dmiannay said:

Ray - He was using a very early Alpha (0.1.34) and ChasePlane is now in beta with version 0.3.72.  Huge improvement since that Alpha version.  I would be very surprised if ChasePlane didn't function just fine with the Concorde.  However, assumptions are a bad idea.  You could ask a question in the ChasePlane support forum here at Avsim and I'm certain you'll get your answer. 

Cheers Doug. Concorde has a requirement that you have the Piper Cub as your startup flight. I then switch to my preferred airport and once fully loaded only then will I load Concorde from the Vehicle menu.

Not knowing how CP works I would only want it to start then. Perhaps the key is not to allow CP to run with P3D but to launch it manually once Concorde is correctly positioned and cold and dark.

But isn't this the support forum? :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Cheers Doug. Concorde has a requirement that you have the Piper Cub as your startup flight. I then switch to my preferred airport and once fully loaded only then will I load Concorde from the Vehicle menu.

Not knowing how CP works I would only want it to start then. Perhaps the key is not to allow CP to run with P3D but to launch it manually once Concorde is correctly positioned and cold and dark.

But isn't this the support forum? :wink:

There should be no issue at all doing that. Simply disable ChasePlane from starting up with the sim (in the EXE.xml), then, once you've loaded up the Concorde cockpit, start ChasePlane.   I can shut ChasePlane down completely while in a flight, then start it back up and it loads correctly and automatically loads the cameras for the specific aircraft I'm flying at the time.  It really does work well... but again, it is still in beta.  Since I don't have the Concorde, I'm powerless to test this for you.

Edit:  See, I didn't know where I was.  I was here in the ChasePlane support forum all along.  Getting old is for the birds! :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Given I already have a weather program (AS16) I don't need to replace that. Thanks for replying, you're the first to mention Opus.

Understood. You can disable the weather but then I suppose you are paying for something extra you don't need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no known issue with the Concorde. While I do not own the aircraft, we have no recent report of issues with the latest builds of ChasePlane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Keven Menard said:

There is no known issue with the Concorde. While I do not own the aircraft, we have no recent report of issues with the latest builds of ChasePlane

Thank you Kevin. It should perhaps be mentioned in your documentation that ChasePlane should not be configured to run when the sim starts as the Piper Cub has to be loaded first before Concorde is selected once the Cub is positioned at the gate.

As far as I can ascertain Concorde is the only aircraft that requires this special attention. When do you anticipate ChasePlane will be released as a non-beta program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It should perhaps be mentioned in your documentation that ChasePlane should not be configured to run when the sim starts as the Piper Cub has to be loaded first before Concorde is selected once the Cub is positioned at the gate.

This kind of information should be mentionned in the aircraft's User Manual as it only concerns their aircraft.

ChasePlane sends camera position data to the simulator natively via SimConnect using public SDK commands. If the aircraft is conflicting with official SDK commands, they should deal with the technicalities that goes with it. If we do it for the Concorde, we'll need to include every other aircraft and that's unmanagable in the long run. If an aircraft (like the MJC Q400) breaks ChasePlane features, then we are including the info in the User Manual and in the limitations section of the product page.

But that's just my opinion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keven, I'm theorising because I don't have CP. Just using some knowledge gleaned from watching videos. I don't disagree with you but FSLabs have their hands full with the A320 conversion to 64-bit at present.

I'm sure Lefteris and Andrew would appreciate your comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now