Peter has done an update for JoinFS. It now remembers where the alternative locations for aircraft are. Nice. Fire up your copy now or leave it till the last minute. Your choice. :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That was unexpected... very nice.  I don't use the software, but still it's great to see him do this!

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Peter has done an update for JoinFS. It now remembers where the alternative locations for aircraft are. Nice. Fire up your copy now or leave it till the last minute. Your choice. :)

What is FSJoin?  I haven't heard of it.

17 minutes ago, FSXtreme said:

What is FSJoin?  I haven't heard of it.

JoinFS is a very nice lightweight FS multiplayer application.  Donation-ware.  More info at the link below.

http://www.pmem.uk/joinfs/

8 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Fire up your copy now or leave it till the last minute. Your choice. :)

I'll wait until 1800 UTC on Saturday - the point where one should have the "sh__poop__it" together!
LOL!  

Guess it's time to buy Peter some more beer! 

On 8/22/2017 at 3:25 PM, jt_williams said:

JoinFS is a very nice lightweight FS multiplayer application.  Donation-ware.  More info at the link below.

http://www.pmem.uk/joinfs/

Thank you.  I'll have a look.

Heads up! There is a new version of JoinFS 1.2.8 and it is NOT compatible with previous versions. The question is 'Are we men or mice? To update or lie cowering in a corner like P3D users? Speak now or forever hold your piece..er peace.

Well I've bitten the bullet and updated the server side and my own PC. This update is not available on the JoinFS website, only though your own copy of it.

Scream if it's a problem.

Have installed 2.8 and hope that it works out a few remaining kinks. (Not sure from the documentation.)

However, thinking some more, I'm not sure that we should switch when not all of us necessarily have access and, equally, when others who we have invited to join us do not have the software.

And we want to consider trips over to the Digital Theme Park.

Worth a think.

When I see him(Zoolander) I'll poke him in the ribs. In the meantime I'm keeping a copy of 1.2.7 handy. Uninstall/reinstall is a matter of seconds work.

2c

• Upvote 1

You can please some of the simmers all of the time and all of the simmers some of the time. But you can't please all of the simmers all of the time. I just made that up. 

Punt..  

Folks,

Let's give JoinFS(TEST)1.2.8 a try on Saturday.  It looks like Peter is keeping 1.2.7 as the advertised stable version on the download page if we need to revert. 

I have two JoinFS icons (a normal stable version) and one JoinFS (TEST).  I have updated my TEST to the latest.

Peter has X-Plane interoperability on the development development roadmap now.  Some interesting discussions in the bugs subforum.

http://pmem.uk/joinfs/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

On 10/20/2017 at 10:12 PM, jt_williams said:

Some interesting discussions in the bugs subforum.

Two points stood out.

1: Minimising to system tray. Who among us do that? I know I don't, it's always on the desktop.

2: Not using port forwarding. What's the consensus with that? :unsure:

On port forwarding. Peter says:

One thing that would be useful to look at is the 'Route' column in the User list and see if they are all 'Direct' connections. If you see a number value in there then it means that it's re-routing the traffic, usually because of connection problems due to people not using port forwarding.

If you have a large proportion of people in the session that do not use port forwarding then you're more likely to have problems, so try to get as many as you can to enable port forwarding and that may help as well.

Our experience is that not enabling port forwarding may be a problem. (I have twice forgotten to handle the port forwarding properly and we had lots of desynchronizations. They went away when I went straight.) My understanding of the matter is that port forwarding matters for users who have a router and a local network. The router can dynamically change the assignment of the LAN's FSX/P3D connection without the user knowing and cause havoc. Under the old FSHost system, bad practice would drop other players' connections. (Users who have a direct connection to their router are not a problem – if I understand correctly.)

This is AVSIM. Perhaps someone more technically knowledgeable could weigh in here?

This discussion also confirms a possible problem when a player minimizes-to-system-tray the JoinFS window.

The question that needs to be asked is 'How many of our merry band are connecting through routers?' Also, would it be helpful for me to connect as a hub?

1.3.2 is on the server. I caught sight of a mention of 'cockpit anomalies' which sounded hopeful. Note that you'll need to do a re-scan of your aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Peter is hard at work. Up to 1.3.6 this morning (Thursday) available on the JoinFS Development page.

Engine Shutdowns.
Starting with v1.3.5, Peter has added a better logging feature to aid in the diagnosis. His instructions are in his forum post here. Perhaps we can give this a try this weekend...if we get the shutdown phenomenon.

----

Oddly, it seems to be getting more common, but perhaps there's just more reports of it. Anyway, I'm looking into it. In the next version I'm adding some extra debug information into the monitor view to try and track the cause of the problem. I was going to post a new thread about it, but I might as well use this particular thread to do it. So, in version 1.3.5 you'll be able to take the following steps:

(and this applies to anyone who is experiencing this regularly)

1. Wait until you first see the engine cut out during a session.
2. Go to View|Monitor and tick both the 'Detailed' and 'Save to...' boxes.
3. Restart your engine.
3. Apparently once the problem happens once then it reoccurs afterwards. So repeat what you did just before the engine cut (i.e. substitute model or ask other person to re-connect to the session)
4. After the engine has cut again, go to the monitor window and untick 'Detailed'
5. Finally, either post or PM the log from the monitor window by clicking 'View Logs...'. It's the 'log-current-TEST.txt' that you need.

Hopefully this will help to get to the bottom of the problem.
Peter

----

• Upvote 1

Peter is now up to 1.4.3 -- which includes a "possible" fix for the P3Dv4 engine stoppage.