cmpbellsjc

Question for iPhone/iPad Avsim Users

Recommended Posts

Here's a general question for Avsim membership.

Jim and I were having a conversation about the forums and I was telling him that using my iPhone 6S Plus on ios10 that I am unable to get the phone to switch the forums from the mobile version to the desktop site.

Typically this can be accomplished in Safari by using the Send To/Request Desktop Site on the phone and it will reload a website from mobile to desktop version, however I can't get it to work on the Avsim forums. I also tried using the Chrome browsers and it also will not work, however it works on other sites.

So my question for other forum members that use iPhones to browse the forums, are you able to get your iPhone to display the desktop site? If so, how?

For member that have been here a long time, you'll probably remember before the last forum software update that at the bottom of the forums, there was a link to request the desktop site, but the new forums don't have that option any longer.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've got an iPad Pro or whatever it is called (the expensive very big one) and I hate using it to browse Avsim as it is annoying on that thing, so I guess that's what you mean.

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, Chock said:

I've got an iPad Pro or whatever it is called (the expensive very big one) and I hate using it to browse Avsim as it is annoying on that thing, so I guess that's what you mean.

Alan, so are you saying your not able to get to the desktop version of Avsim on the iPad?

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Alan, so are you saying your not able to get to the desktop version of Avsim on the iPad?

I'll have to have it to hand to check that, and can't do that until tomorrow since I am at my GF's house tonight. But I will check it tomorrow and let you know. iPads are great for some things, but they're not my favourite for web surfing and typing.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'll have to have it to hand to check that, and can't do that until tomorrow since I am at my GF's house tonight. But I will check it tomorrow and let you know. iPads are great for some things, but they're not my favourite for web surfing and typing.

Thanks Al, didn't realize you were at Fiona's house tonight.

Share this post


Link to post

On AVSIM through the iPad right now but I can't go back to the mobile version.

I use Chrome and it has those three vertical dots on the right side where you can request the desktop/mobile version of the site but for some reason mine is stuck on desktop mode even if Chrome says its now showing the mobile version of AVSIM. Only happens with this site.

I'd tell you one thing though, trying to browse AVSIM topics on mobile with some members that have signatures as long as what seems like the history of the entire human race is incredibly difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Here's a general question for Avsim membership.

Jim and I were having a conversation about the forums and I was telling him that using my iPhone 6S Plus on ios10 that I am unable to get the phone to switch the forums from the mobile version to the desktop site.

Typically this can be accomplished in Safari by using the Send To/Request Desktop Site on the phone and it will reload a website from mobile to desktop version, however I can't get it to work on the Avsim forums. I also tried using the Chrome browsers and it also will not work, however it works on other sites.

So my question for other forum members that use iPhones to browse the forums, are you able to get your iPhone to display the desktop site? If so, how?

For member that have been here a long time, you'll probably remember before the last forum software update that at the bottom of the forums, there was a link to request the desktop site, but the new forums don't have that option any longer.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I am not sure I understand what you mean.  I am currently reading this post on my iPad Pro and on my MacBook Pro and this page's layout is exactly the same on both versions of Safari.

Jean-Jacques

Share this post


Link to post

I use my iPad 95% of the time online, and I have no problems al all viewing Avsim full site.

 

Kev

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I can confirm that using request desktop site works in Chrome on Android. The site responds properly to that function when using that browser.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, krazyk said:

trying to browse AVSIM topics on mobile with some members that have signatures as long as what seems like the history of the entire human race is incredibly difficult.

That would violate the AVSIM Signature rules if that long but a very good description.  You need to report those as we do not catch them all (see report button inside of their post or topic).  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Oracle427 said:

desktop site works in Chrome on Android

I have no problems on Android too but he's got an I-Pad and I-Phone (ugh!). :huh:

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, I was finally able to get the desktop version to work on the iPad but still can't get it to work in the iPhone.

Any iPhone users able to get the switch from mobile to desktop?

Share this post


Link to post

For viewing forums on a mobile device, I find that the Tapatalk app is by far the best option. Just wondering is there any reason why AVSIM isn't Tapatalk enabled?

Share this post


Link to post

The app is not compatible with AVSIM and Tom went to them and told them to update it to make it compatible and they said they would not make any changes.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post

Tapatalk is a multi-forum platform. I do not believe they would ever make changes to incorporate one single forum, especially if it meant breaking the integration of other fora already on the platform. I too find it a little annoying that I cannot access avsim through tapatalk, since tapatalk works for all my other news sites.

However, I am also aware that it is apparently a bit of a PITA for the site managers as well enabling tapatalk, so I certainly do understand avsim's stance, albeit annoying for me personally. As a result, I only get to read the avsim site news when I am actually sitting at a PC and not on a mobile device. Trying to read a desktop forum on a small mobile device is hard on the old eyes :)

Andrew

Share this post


Link to post

I think you can access AVSIM via Tapatalk but their app costs $2.99 a month (Freeware one had a lot of ads).  Go to the Tapatalk site and sign up or download the App through Google Play.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Folks,

Just a heads up on Tapatalk - as I'm an avid user and it is my preferred means of utilizing forums... It was payware for a while but it's been free for years - no ads... Of my somewhat eclectic interests - AvSim is the only forum I frequent that doesn't have Tapatalk support - would love to see it... There was a period of time - years - where it did work here on AvSim but sadly it's been missing for years now too... From what I gather the plugins on the server were a bit maintenance intensive for a while - although I haven't heard any complaints lately... I just double checked to make sure nothings changed - AvSim isn't listed in the Tapatalk catalog... It's certainly one of the best ways to access a forum via mobile devices - truly wish we had it...

As far as compatibility - perhaps that warrants a revisit if you're interested - you've since upgraded your forum software and you appear to be running the same software as ORBX and Aerosoft - which both support Tapatalk ???

One big benefit - in the absence of PhotoBucket - Tapatalk hosts images for your forum posts... Makes posting images a breeze - I don't know if it's limited as I only use the feature occasionally... 

Regards,
Scott

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well, as of 19 Sep 2017, it costs and the ratings are not very favorable - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-100-000-forums-worldwide/id307880732?mt=8

I use my Firefox browser software on my Android system to manage the forums on my Samsung Smartphone and it works great.  I can even use it to check on registrations, who's trying to spam AVSIM, make changes to the forums, and moderate the forums even while getting a haircut!  Using a mobile device, especially a Smartphone, is not my favorite method of visiting any forums but it works when I'm away from my 34" monitor!!  But I appreciate the comments.  Perhaps the Board will take a hard look at it and see if it is a viable and affordable option.  I am personally against Tapatalk but think further research might be required.  I would also like to see if there the website developer of AVSIM has a software program for mobile devices.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I can even use it to check on registrations, who's trying to spam AVSIM, make changes to the forums, and moderate the forums even while getting a haircut! 

How you can pull that off without having a mess everywhere, I have no idea. Normally, when I get a haircut, my hands are underneath the cloth thing they put around my neck.

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, this reply is from my iPad, which does display the same format for a sim as my android phone does for Avsim. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017/9/22 at 0:01 AM, Jim Young said:

I think you can access AVSIM via Tapatalk but their app costs $2.99 a month (Freeware one had a lot of ads).  Go to the Tapatalk site and sign up or download the App through Google Play.

 

Invalid , i have tried it on my Android phone , but when i switch to iPhone , it is invalid , 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Iacaser said:

Invalid , i have tried it on my Android phone , but when i switch to iPhone , it is invalid , 

So, what was invalid as to what I said?

Share this post


Link to post
On 2018/1/11 at 10:19 AM, Iacaser said:

Invalid , i have tried it on my Android phone , but when i move to iPhone , it is invalid , 

The program is failure of switch it to iPhone ,

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now