Sign in to follow this  
ziggy

Opinions wanted for GTX 1080ti with i7 2700k @4.7GHZ

Hello all,

I am thinking of building a new rig to run the new Flight sims in the future, as in -P3D V4, Xplane 11, AF2 and FSW. I am running FSX SE with DX10fixer right now and probably for a little bit longer until I make the switch.

My current System:

i7 2700k @4.7

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT

MSI GTX 680

8 GB Corsair platinum RAM 

Corsair 1000w Gold PS

Corsair H80iGT cooler

COOLER MASTER STORM ENFORCER case

This setup has been amazing for me since 2012 or so, it runs my sim perfectly at 30fps, I don't care if you don't believe me or not, this isn't the point. I will be slowly gathering new parts for the new system which will run a setup similar to the fellow on the website "ontheglideslope.net" 

I am thinking of upgrading my Graphics Card to a 1080ti with the current setup to start off with. I understand the bottleneck situation, mabey not so much with flight sims but still would like to hear what the good people at Avsim have to say

Is anyone else running a 1080ti with or close to the current setup as me?

What are your experiences?

And for those who are really tech savvy, what are your thoughts?

All opinions are welcome!

P.S.: I only use flight sims, no other "games"

Hello guys,

I am running that motherboard with i7 2600k @ 3,4, 32GB Ram, 1200watt PSU, a GTX1080ti and a GTX1050ti. The second GPU is for running extra monitors (unsuccessfully in every platform except FS9)

My system can and does run at 50fps on  a single 1080 screen FSX-SE and P3Dv4 with no add-ons. I think you would benefit greatly by upgrading your RAM to 16gb and definitely with the 1080ti. 

You also have to remember that overclocking at 4.7, speed wise, you are up there with the big boys ie  i7 6700k, which is much the same speed before overclocking. If you look at reviews and comments, that CPU is still working very well and is being used by a huge number of simmers.

Particularly, if you are looking at this as an interim measure, I do not believe you can go wrong.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

There are a few technical enhancements found with later processors and motherboards, but that's on the inside and I honestly don't think you'd notice the small percentage in gain in flight sim.

The i7-2600K and 2700K processors are, well, TERRIFIC!  I think a cost benefit analysis would show that its not worth the cost of an upgrade.

If you do decide to build a new system then I'm sure you won't have any problems selling the complete rig here on AVSIM, given a competitive price of course. If you decide to sell your current rig then I'd be sure not to cannibalize the system, leave it all together except for the hard drives. Before you remove the hard drives you might want to run a stress test and run FSX/P3D, taking screen shots of performance related specs such as frame rates and maybe use Hardware Monitor to show temps, voltages and speeds).

Best wishes.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

DaveCT

I agree with you 100  percent. I am quite sure there would be no real benefits to upgrading his rig with mobo CPU RAM etc.

He is, however, mulling over the GPU change and I believe strongly that there would be a very definite and tangible benefit to upgrading his RAM to 16G and also his GPU to the GTX1080ti.

It is not often I give advice regarding hardware and when I do so, it is from a viable gain point of view.  I am not into the "bragging rights" aspect of simming (great fun to read but a lot of it ego driven and some the comments are alarmingly inacurate in my opinion) 

I don't think OP is looking at selling his rig either ... with the upgrade I do not see the point. You are right though, For a lot of people, his current system would be a great purchase. I for one, would leap at buyng his CPU.  I dont think I could find anyone who could overclock anything here in Indonesia and I am not brave enough to attempt it on my own. The thought of anything faster than 3.4 though is very very tempting. 

I do not know why I say that in all honesty. I have incredible performance with my 6 monitors in FS2004 50FPS and steady unlocked. it does come down to 20-25 at YBBN though. As for the other platforms, Performance is adequate on a single monitor but single monitor is not what I want. I cannot imagine what sort of CPU it would take to run P3Dv4 with 6 monitors at 50FPS but I do know that it does not yet exist. My best option may yet lie with VR.

Anyway ziggy and GamerNerd, my best advice is for you to keep your overclocked i7 2600/2700k CPUs and just upgrade your RAM and GPUs INTEL HATES ME... LOL

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Whether one upgrades a computer for entertainment purposes is largely a personal choice, and subjective at that.  That's OK... it is after all a hobby.  What I wouldn't do is buy parts piecemeal.  Wait until the discretionary money exists and buy all new parts then.  Buying a 1080Ti  now and installing it in a new computer a year from now means you would be missing Volta, the next gen nVidia card.  The same could be said for parts like the CPU and RAM.  And the motherboard, and storage devices... well, you get the idea.

Greg

I upgraded from an i7 2600K with GTX970 to a i7 6700K with GTX1080ti

I have to say the newer processor gives me improved performance in the simulator. T he graphics card obviously helps but I think the 2700K might be s tad bit old. I had my 2600K almost 3 years ago, I recommend something newer but if you must get a 2K series then you should be ok.  

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

16 hours ago, ziggy said:

All opinions are welcome!

If you're happy with your current performance, particularly if you're screen resolution is 1920x1080, then I'd stick with what you've got now. The 1080 Ti would let you use extreme antialiasing settings but, unless you're using the higher screen resolutions, will probably not give you any noticeable performance improvement. I'd start saving and wait until your current setup starts to struggle and then look at a full system upgrade.

If you do decide to update the GPU, the chances are that your new card will still be competitive for a few years - plenty of people are still happily using 9xx cards even though the 10xx cards have been out for some time. Unless you're running at 4k, there aren't any modern games which would stretch the 1080 Ti so it's pretty future-proof for the foreseeable future. Like you, from what I've read it seems unlikely that a consumer version of a Volta card will appear until some time in 2018.

Additionally, there are a few other things to consider.  There are rumours of a GTX 1070 Ti coming soon and it's hard to imagine that would happen if Volta-based cards were also about to appear. Secondly, Pascal was released as a response to the very competitive AMD Fury cards but at present there isn't anything from AMD which comes close to matching the 1080 Ti. Why would NVIDIA want to release the consumer version of Volta when their existing flagship gaming card still has no competitors? Finally, top-end Volta cards are unlikely to be affordable for most users on release.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me, your opinions and information are much appreciated, I will stay put with this old girl for a bit longer and just build a whole new rig when the time is right.

Thanks again!!